Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Screw extractor question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
I have a stripped shift bar cone screw. I bought a spiral screw extractor. Bit and extractor in kit. Do I drill clockwise? What direction to turn extractor?
GeorgeKopf
Drill a hole as normal. Try to get it as centered as possible (this can be tricky).

I'm assuming that the head broke off because it is rusted solid. Use PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench and let is soak. Apply some heat too if you can.

Then put the extractor bit in your drill and run it in reverse (extraction direction).

Go slow and put a lot of downward pressure to get the edges of the bit to bite into the metal.

Once the screw starts to move, keep going and it will unscrew itself.

Good Luck

George
rosenfe
The Allen head stripped.
914 RZ-1
I have had nothing but bad luck with screw extractors. They usually break off in the hole I drill. I usually end up drilling a hole thru the broken bolt bigger and bigger until I can get the pieces out.
You might want to consider getting a reverse drill bit. As you drill, it will often loosen the bolt. Good luck!
live free & drive
These screw extractors are made for socket head screws - they work very well:

No drilling required.

http://sockitout.com/
rosenfe
I’m going to try them. So they seem meant for stripped Allen head
bdstone914
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jun 27 2022, 12:02 PM) *

I have used Torx bits to remove bad allen head bolts.
porschetub
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 28 2022, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jun 27 2022, 12:02 PM) *

I have used Torx bits to remove bad allen head bolts.

agree.gif have done the same.
rosenfe
I tried several but no luck.
76-914
I wouldn't be afraid to try a screw extractor if it wasn't a Harbor Freight or similar. Before you drill it out give it several good hammer strikes downward (probably upwards in your case). If it's recessed use a trashed bolt on top of it and hold the bolt with pliers when striking it This should upset rust and grit and free it of binding. As mentioned above, heat works well to break up the rust too. Use the largest drill bit that will set inside the stripped allen head. If you have a left hand bit then use it. Sometimes they come out when drilling CC. Keep the drill rpm low and use a cobalt or titanium bit. Keep it lubed when drilling. Don't get a side load on a cobalt or titanium bit as they are brittle. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
Get a reverse direction drill bit set.
rosenfe
Going to try sockit out extractor. If that does not work I will drill
VaccaRabite
Weld a nut to the screw and turn it out. Don’t bother with the extractor. If the bit of the extractor breaks then you are in a world of pain.

Zach
930cabman
So far as I know, most set screws are hardened and are not drillable with conventional bits.
My vote would be either cram something in the socket or weld a nut
rosenfe
Used the sockitout tool today. Worked like a champ, out in 2 minutes.
rosenfe
Now I can’t get the sockitout tool off the cone screw, but that’s minor.now I can finish dropping the engine
930cabman
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jun 30 2022, 05:15 PM) *

Now I can’t get the sockitout tool off the cone screw, but that’s minor.now I can finish dropping the engine

Consider this a victory, leave the sockitout in the cone screw for awhile and move on. Sounds as you have larger fish to ....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.