Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why my car has no front or rear sway bars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CCE
Can anyone explain why my North American sold 1974 2.0, has no front or rear sway bars. Was Porsche so confident that 4 cilinder cars could handle the use without bars?

Is it only an American thing? Did Euro models also came without. Was it an option?

My car leans badly, I am in the process of getting bilstein B6 shocks installed, but anyway, I see 914 cars with bars everywhere and mine has a big NOTHING to stop body lean…
I still love it, buy confused24.gif
Any comments?
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Mine was the same way. The mounting tabs were on the lower A arm but no bar. I think it was a cost cutting measure. '73 2.0's came with front and rear bars. I added a front bar and it made a big difference.
CCE
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 27 2022, 05:33 PM) *

Mine was the same way. The mounting tabs were on the lower A arm but no bar. I think it was a cost cutting measure. '73 2.0's came with front and rear bars. I added a front bar and it made a big difference.

My front arms have no tabs, If (or when) I install the bar, I need to put them in and drill the car… sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
JeffBowlsby
Sway bars were optional equipment for 1974.
Freezin 914
You are not alone, I also have a 74’ 2.0L, no sway bars. My car is as plain as they come, no sway bars, no chrome bumpers, no center counsel. That said, it has grown on me overall. Being these are considered a sports cars, I personally believe sway bars are a must. Almost all modern cars have them, sports cars or not.
I am in the process of doing some mild upgrades, modifications. Sway bars being one of them.
mepstein
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Jun 27 2022, 07:07 PM) *

You are not alone, I also have a 74’ 2.0L, no sway bars. My car is as plain as they come, no sway bars, no chrome bumpers, no center counsel. That said, it has grown on me overall. Being these are considered a sports cars, I personally believe sway bars are a must. Almost all modern cars have them, sports cars or not.
I am in the process of doing some mild upgrades, modifications. Sway bars being one of them.

They are worth the effort.
wonkipop
dunno the answer to that.

my lowly 74 1.8 had front and rear sway bars out of the showroom.

i did read somewhere that the sway bars were in conjunction with softer rear springs.

maybe the idea was you got a comfortable ride and the sway bars stopped it leaning at ridiculous angles cornering!?

perhaps the cars fitted with firmer rear springs did not need the sway bars so much.

there were a range of at least three rear springs in 74.

confused24.gif

CCE
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Jun 27 2022, 06:07 PM) *

Which takes me to a second question, which brand and model is best bang for the buck?

Its not a cheap accessory, what are you looking at? For options..

Regarding the bumpers I want to change color to anthracite gray, altogether with my steel wheels. Maybe that will get some contrast..
I like the amplitude of the interior.
Click to view attachment
rjames
Find a used stock front bar- it's plenty for an otherwise stock car and IMHO the rear bar isn't needed for a car that is driven only the street.

It'll change how the car handles tremendously for the better. These cars never should've been delivered without a front bar.
914werke
You can find the 13mm 912 bars for cheap, but usually they are bare (no arms ect.) from an upgrade. Check the Bird.
infraredcalvin
It’s all to create a balanced system. Looks like you’ve lowered your car and are using lower profile tires from stock, that’ll help for starters.

Every change you make to front or rear will have an effect on the other.

Stiffen up the rear with heavier springs, your car will want to oversteer. Stiffen up front with heavier bars and sways bars your car will want to understeer. It’s a balancing act.

1st best option is adjustability, so if you go with a stock bar, get some tarrett or like adjustable drop links.

After that, $$$ will give you all kids of adjustable options…
914Sixer
There was a base 2.0 l car for 1973. I was just like the base 1.7l with nothing. It simply had the larger engine. The dealer order guide shows the two models.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 27 2022, 08:05 PM) *

Sway bars were optional equipment for 1974.

My ‘75 2L came without sway bars as well…

Putting even the stock bars on is a dramatic improvement.

This corner is being attacked with an elephant bar front and stock rear sway bar. Without sway bars any corner feels like trying to balance on top of a rolling rubber ball.
CCE
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jun 27 2022, 09:00 PM) *

It’s all to create a balanced system. Looks like you’ve lowered your car and are using lower profile tires from stock, that’ll help for starters.

Every change you make to front or rear will have an effect on the other.

Stiffen up the rear with heavier springs, your car will want to oversteer. Stiffen up front with heavier bars and sways bars your car will want to understeer. It’s a balancing act.

1st best option is adjustability, so if you go with a stock bar, get some tarrett or like adjustable drop links.

After that, $$$ will give you all kids of adjustable options…

Thanks so much, the info helps a lot!, the car is as I found it, I will replace shock absorbers, and see how low it is.

Regarding the front bar which is the best recommendation on diameter? The stock?
Iwill use in highway and backroads, and occasional track days, so the bilsteins I think, will do the trick..
I will see how to get the elephant racing bar, here to Mexico and do the welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Here is a picture as it was for 40 years. Before cleaning
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Other than a AXing monster, I see no reason to omit the rear ASB. Stock F&R ASBs, stock front torsion bars, 100# springs on adj perches (ground control system). Excellent manners and ride for a street car. I have ext adj Koni reds on 4 corners and Elephant poly-bronze bushing up front. Firm but not overly so and expansion joints don't rattle my teeth. Don't forget the corner balance and 4 wheel alignment. The route will not come cheaply but well worth the expense in my book.
brant
I've always preferred larger front bars than stock...
I (vague memory) believe the stock front was 16mm
the weltmeisters came in 19 and 21 and were my choices usually

currently running a 28mm front bar in my race car with larger than stock rear
and a welt 21mm in the street car with no rear bar
Root_Werks
My six conversion is running stock sway bars F/R with 100lb rear springs and likely stock 914-4 torsion bars up front. I have Koni oils in the rear turned max and can't remember what's up front other than it's a 911 3.5" spaced. I like it for a street car.
CCE
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 28 2022, 10:26 AM) *

Are Weltmeister bars still available?
brant
QUOTE(CCE @ Jun 28 2022, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jun 28 2022, 10:26 AM) *

Are Weltmeister bars still available?

available used... just like the stock bars are.

H and H made an aftermarket bar also that can be found used.
the welts had a better arm with more adjustability

brant
Shivers
My 72' was the same way. I put them front and rear and wow what a difference.

Tabs:

https://www.elephantracing.com/911/swaybars...bars/u-tab-kit/

Spoke
My '71 didn't have front or rear sway bars. So I knocked off 2 projects at once: 911 underbody sway bar and 5-lug conversion. No drilling or welding; bolt on.

gandalf_025
My factory 6 came without sway bars, but it did have the tabs on the A arms.
I bought a 19mm front bar from H+H Specialties in 1974, The owner of
H+H lived 2 towns away from me and I drove to his house to get it. I went with the H+H because you could install it without removing the gas tank..

I have ABSOLUTELY no track experience, but what I noticed with the bar installed was
A corner I could normally take at 70 mph before the bar, was fine with the front bar installed at 80 mph.... Then the back of the car started feeling a little loose.
So I went back and bought the rear bar and that same corner could now be taken at
90 mph.. It really felt locked down and well planted..

What nobody explained to me at that point was.... You can OVER drive a set of sway bars and when that happens... It happens fast and you have absolutely no control..
You are just along for the ride..
I was 19 at the time and I survived.. Still have the car too.. I did manage to spin it
a few times and was lucky to never hit anything..

mepstein
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jun 28 2022, 01:00 PM) *

H+H lived 2 towns away from me and I drove to his house to get it. I went with the H+H because you could install it without removing the gas tank..

I have ABSOLUTELY no track experience, but what I noticed with the bar installed was
A corner I could normally take at 70 mph before the bar, was fine with the front bar installed at 80 mph.... Then the back of the car started feeling a little loose.
So I went back and bought the rear bar and that same corner could now be taken at

What nobody explained to me at that point was.... You can OVER drive a set of sway bars and when that happens... It happens fast and you have absolutely no control..
I was 19 at the time and I survived.. Still have the car too.. I did manage to spin it

My friend had a GT3 and he said the limit was so high, he knew when it let go, he’d be in a lot of trouble.
CCE
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 28 2022, 11:05 AM) *

Tabs:

I have a quotation from elephant racing, it’s just too much for the moment, I know I will do eventually. Just need to be sure of all the options.

914world is helping a lot. driving.gif Click to view attachment
CCE
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 28 2022, 11:09 AM) *

My '71 didn't have front or rear sway bars. So I knocked off 2 projects at once: 911 underbody sway bar and 5-lug conversion. No drilling or welding; bolt on.

Ooooo nice!, and vented disks in the front.
CCE
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jun 28 2022, 12:00 PM) *

I think “that” is the mid engine configuration for you, I am used to drive VW beetles here (had 4 in a row, from 92, to 2004) love them, I had one tuned with bars and Bilstein it was hard on the back as a rock, it was hilarious, but oversteer was a daily thing, and 360 turns in the rain was also a thing, (till my brother took it for a ride) you get used to it. Now with the 914 It’s very similar only 400,000 times better. I am loving the process irish914.jpg
brant
look for used.

also check the pelican parts forums
the 911 (through the body bar) is the same as the 914

steer clear of the 911 underbody sway bar, as it will require different mounting tabs and is generally used when doing a full 911 suspension swap

the through the body bar (early 911, and 914) gives better geometry anyways.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(CCE @ Jun 28 2022, 11:14 AM) *

Tabs:

I have a quotation from elephant racing, it’s just too much for the moment, I know I will do eventually. Just need to be sure of all the options.

Try to change the front shock/insert for now and check if you will be okay with that for the meantime or even the rear shocks may also make a big difference from that old shocks/inserts.
mepstein
QUOTE(CCE @ Jun 28 2022, 02:14 PM) *

Tabs:

Most of the elephant racing sway bars are pretty big and heavy duty. It may not be what you want for a road car. You should be able to get a stock 914 front bar for about $200-400. It will probably be the most bang for your buck. Then add a rear bar as money permits.
Shivers

Tabs:

Well I can not afford anything from elephant unless I get a deal on it. If you want I'll pull a tape on mine, I know I could make my own if I needed to.
autopro
My car didn't have the sway bar either so I bought one from GR German Parts Restoration.

Click to view attachment

Brackets I made for mounting

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Brian Fuerbach
QUOTE(autopro @ Jun 28 2022, 11:56 AM) *

My car didn't have the sway bar either so I bought one from GR German Parts Restoration.

Click to view attachment

Brackets I made for mounting

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I have the same bar in 19mm. Nicely made, highly recommended.
914Next
Wait…..a Mexico barn find? In storage 40 years? Did I miss this story? I gotta know more! And w are you located in Mexico.

Steve
CCE
QUOTE(914Next @ Jun 28 2022, 03:03 PM) *

Wait…..a Mexico barn find? In storage 40 years? Did I miss this story? I gotta know more! And w are you located in Mexico.

Steve

That is correct. In Mexico city, it was last moved around 1981 after imported from LA/USA, I knew the car in 1985 more or less, but I was not allowed near the car, NEVER… the owner passed away 5 years ago, my friend called me to ask if I was interested last November…

So, next thing…

Click to view attachment
914Next
[quote name='CCE' date='Jun 28 2022, 04:10 PM' post='3011851']
[quote name='914Next' post='3011850' date='Jun 28 2022, 03:03 PM']

Steve
[/quote]
That is correct. In Mexico city, I knew the car in 1985 more or less, but I was not allowed near the car, NEVER… the owner passed away 5 years ago, my friend called me to ask if I was interested last November…

So next thing…

Click to view attachment
[/quote

Nice. Would love to see more pics and hear more about the story.. What is the condition? I’m from the states but live near Guadalajara now.
CCE
[quote name='914Next' date='Jun 28 2022, 03:13 PM' post='3011853']
[quote name='CCE' date='Jun 28 2022, 04:10 PM' post='3011851']
[quote name='914Next' post='3011850' date='Jun 28 2022, 03:03 PM']

Steve
[/quote]
That is correct. In Mexico city, I knew the car in 1985 more or less, but I was not allowed near the car, NEVER… the owner passed away 5 years ago, my friend called me to ask if I was interested last November…

So next thing…

Click to view attachment
[/quote

Nice. Would love to see more pics and hear more about the story.. What is the condition? I’m from the states but live near Guadalajara now.
[/quote]

I have a vey rustic video on you tube you may like.
https://youtu.be/uow_y-61hxc
https://youtu.be/0TKeQhttLHQ
ndfrigi
I think the owner also posted a video on youtube. If yes, hope the owner can share the youtube link here.
CCE
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 28 2022, 03:29 PM) *

I think the owner also posted a video on youtube. If yes, hope the owner can share the youtube link here.

https://youtu.be/uow_y-61hxc

https://youtu.be/0TKeQhttLHQ

https://youtu.be/fouqlBMV-sk

https://youtu.be/lTHjHWGmVYk

Here you go…
CCE
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 28 2022, 01:41 PM) *

Tabs:

Try to change the front shock/insert for now and check if you will be okay with that for the meantime or even the rear shocks may also make a big difference from that old shocks/inserts.

I got the shocks yesterday, I will install right away.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.