Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition switch doesn't want to come out.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrblackbox
Trying to remove the ignition switch from my 71. The tumbler comes out, I can see that the cylinder that the tumbler sits in is cracked at the bottom. the key will not release the steering wheel lock. The ignition comes out about 1/8" of an inch only, I would imagine that the steering wheel lock is stopping it from coming out.
I have removed the bottom dash and the 4 screws holding the steering column, I don't see anyway to remove it from the back of the column either. I searched threads to no avail. anyone???
mepstein
Halfway down this thread has a step by step explication with pics.

http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php
jrblackbox
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 28 2022, 02:47 PM) *

Halfway down this thread has a step by step explication with pics.

http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php

thanks Mark. The problem I have tho is that the key is unable to turn to unlock the steering wheel. If I could unlock it I will be able to pull the switch out.
914sgofast2
You need to remove the steering wheel and slide the steering column housing from off the shaft. You might have to disconnect the column itself from the lower u-joint above the pedals and take the entire assembly out of the car.
jrblackbox
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Jun 28 2022, 06:31 PM) *

You need to remove the steering wheel and slide the steering column housing from off the shaft. You might have to disconnect the column itself from the lower u-joint above the pedals and take the entire assembly out of the car.

I have removed the 4 bolts holding the steering column housing, I moved it forward and there is no way to get at the switch from the rear. I see no benefit from taking the column off, as it looks like the ignition assembly will have to come out from the front. this is a 71 which is different from later years?
mepstein
Yea. The early 70-71 is different from later years.
jrblackbox
I am starting to think that the only way to get it out is to drill it out. I really don't see any other way. Does anyone have any experience with drilling the lock and or spring mechanism out?
jrblackbox
The steering column has to be removed, once out of the car you can see the lock button in the column. Push it in and pull the ignition assembly out far enough where you can see the small hole to remove the key switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.