Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 LE restoration documented by Porsche Classic Partner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JeffBowlsby
A 914 LE owner sent me a link to their restoration documentation of a forlorn BB, found in the desert. Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas is the force behind this one, apparently there is an internal program amongst P-car dealers to locate and restore classic Porsches such as the 914 LE. Gaudin is also a Porsche Classic Partner and can provide the inspection and Porsche Classic Technical Certificate.

https://www.gaudinclassic.com/vehicles/97/1...-porsche-914-le

Cool to see this car come together.

Another indication of the high level of interest in our cars.
krazykonrad
Thanks for posting this. Its great to see some "official" interest in our 914s.
NARP74
Love it. Very cool to see all the parts laid out on tables ready for install.
Beach914
Fantastic to see it in progress! Thanks for finding this and posting the link.

Mine will be at the Porsche Monterey Classic and the Werks Reunion (Corral Prkg) Still things to do to it to make it judge-able.
914werke
Note the OD set back to 000001
914-300Hemi
Very cool
DRPHIL914
pretty cool to see, my tub had about the same level of floor pan long and jack point rust and repairs. I didnt see hell hole close up, mine didnt have rust there, either way its quite extensive repair work and is going to be quite a valuable car completed.. No doubt it will command quite a price tag!!!.

JeffBowlsby
Man, thats a lot of work, and these boys are flying though it. Must be great to have access to such excellent restoration manpower and resources.

To borrow from one of my favorite civil war dramas from the General Stonewall Jackson character: "Suh, Ah have no hell hole..."

mlindner
Very cool Jeff, thanks for posting. Mark
friethmiller
Sheeeeezzzze! Childs-play! I think mine was worse!

Click to view attachment
mxkinn01
I agree, the 914 was in tough shape. All of us teeners and a bunch of other Porsches in Las Vegas were invited to the Kick off of this restoration. They were also show casing their brand new expanded area of the shop that housed a bunch of early air cooled Porsches (all beautifully restored). It was quite an event and a lot of eye candy to see.
Click to view attachment
Beach914
Im wondering where they are going to get an original spoiler? Spoiler in the teardown pictures looks like a replica. Correct me if i am wrong Jeff.

Two LE’s showed up at the last G&R Swapmeet, a BB and a Creamsicle. As i recall one had an original and the other was a replica.

Originals are unobtanium.
Jett
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Jun 30 2022, 06:42 PM) *

Im wondering where they are going to get an original spoiler? Spoiler in the teardown pictures looks like a replica. Correct me if i am wrong Jeff.

Two LE’s showed up at the last G&R Swapmeet, a BB and a Creamsicle. As i recall one had an original and the other was a replica.

smile.gif I keep hunting
JeffBowlsby
Update:

"We are currently in final assembly. I will try to get on to post more about the car in the coming weeks. Here is an invite to the unveiling, the car will also be on display at Werks Reunion in Monterey."

The unveiling is July 30 and Werks Reunion is August 19. Hoping someone here will attend and post photos/details.

Unbeleiveable how fast this team is building this car. No doubt the results will be stunning.

Anyone with a lead on an original front LE spoiler, please contact Steve Thiel at Gaudin directly.
JeffBowlsby
DP
VegasRacer
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 7 2022, 04:39 PM) *

The unveiling is July 30

You can count on Elvira and I being there.

If there is anything specific you want pictures of, please let me know.
I know how much you all enjoy, (and how good you are at) picking cars apart in minute detail. happy11.gif
Beach914
Has anyone called on the price ? ohmy.gif
friethmiller
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Jun 30 2022, 08:42 PM) *

Hey Beach914,

How can you tell you've got an original LE spoiler? Is there a serial number? And, if so, where is it? I'm in the process of verifying that my recently purchased '74 is, in fact, an LE.
Michael N
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jul 14 2022, 07:06 AM) *

How can you tell you've got an original LE spoiler?

Part number, end of the valance has dimples, original gel coat…..

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tabs on the bottom uses these spoiler brackets to support.

Click to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(Michael N @ Jul 14 2022, 08:21 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks for sharing.

I have a Bumblebee that could use that spoiler smile.gif!
Michael N
QUOTE(Jett @ Jul 14 2022, 09:35 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks for sharing.

I sold that valance years ago to a member here restoring a factory LE.
Jett
QUOTE(Michael N @ Jul 14 2022, 11:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Jul 14 2022, 09:35 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks for sharing.

I sold that valance years ago to a member here restoring a factory LE.

I am glad that the part ended up on an LE smile.gif
Van B
QUOTE(Michael N @ Jul 14 2022, 11:21 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

@Michael N Thanks for sharing those. @Mikey914 does your reproduction have the tabs on the bottom and the brackets?
Beach914
I keep the replica on it so that I may enjoy driving the car and have the original painted, wrapped and stowed away until I get the car more show ready.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Van B @ Jul 15 2022, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Michael N @ Jul 14 2022, 11:21 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

@Michael N Thanks for sharing those. @Mikey914 does your reproduction have the tabs on the bottom and the brackets?

Mine does not. It is intended not to be concurs piece, but a reasonable replacement for a car you drive. You can then swap it out for shows. We could make the part exactly like OEM, but cost would be 75% more, so we opted for this version. The majority of the ones we see are with the tow bars, as you do not need to remove the valance to tow the car.
friethmiller
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 15 2022, 11:02 AM) *

Mine does not. It is intended not to be concurs piece, but a reasonable replacement for a car you drive. You can then swap it out for shows. We could make the part exactly like OEM, but cost would be 75% more, so we opted for this version. The majority of the ones we see are with the tow bars, as you do not need to remove the valance to tow the car.

Good to know! Mine is definitely NOT an original LE spoiler then and isn't worth saving since it's cracked in about 14 places. I still think this car might be an LE, though.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 15 2022, 09:02 AM) *

Mark, food for thought. Demand is high for the originals with essentially no supply. A high quality detail-accurate repro would be well received amongst LE owners and other 914 owners who want the most period correct piece. Your current LE spoiler is probably the best available, but if improved you would corner the market.

The higher cost you suggest is not unreasonable for a quality product with the brackets and special hardware as you like to offer complete assemblies. Hope you put this high up on the list of new products to offer.

@Mikey914
rgalla9146

Didn't the Karmann tag on LEs have two color codes stamped in ?
Van B
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 15 2022, 01:22 PM) *

Mark, food for thought. Demand is high for the originals with essentially no supply. A high quality detail-accurate repro would be well received amongst LE owners and other 914 owners who want the most period correct piece. Your current LE spoiler is probably the best available, but if improved you would corner the market.

The higher cost you suggest is not unreasonable for a quality product with the brackets and special hardware as you like to offer complete assemblies. Hope you put this high up on the list of new products to offer.

@Mikey914

Jeff, you beat me to it but I fully concur with the motion. I would gladly pay $350 for a full repro part (incl NLA brackets)

I know a lot of guys here have been in the 914 game a long time, but this thread is prime evidence that time has moved on. More and more 914 owners here and elsewhere regard these cars as classic Porsches and not the "NARP" stigma many of you remember.

Now we just need one of these benevolent owners of an original splitter/valence to lend Mike the part so he can make a new mold... @Beach914 wink, wink, nod, nod shades.gif
Chris914n6

The unveiling is July 30

Good reason to postpone dropping the motor for 2 weeks. Now if I remember and the 914 makes it... yellowsleep[1].gif w00t.gif driving.gif biggrin.gif
friethmiller
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 15 2022, 12:46 PM) *

I don't think so. I didn't see that on Mr. Bowlsby's CanAm Registry site.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 15 2022, 10:46 AM) *

Nope. Just L041 and L80E.
Jett
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 15 2022, 10:22 AM) *

@Mikey914

+1
Mikey914
I just neet to find an original. I do have a selfish Motive here too. My LE doesn’t have an original too.

If anyone has one please PM me.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 15 2022, 07:42 PM) *

I just neet to find an original. I do have a selfish Motive here too. My LE doesn’t have an original too.

Rick from Rix 914 parts has an original on his creamsicle. I remember him explaining the difference at Werks Reunion.
MCShack
Wow! Very Nice! I Wish I Could Be There! Have Fun For Me Too! beerchug.gif

siverson
I think I'm going to try to make this "unveiling" this Saturday morning too - I just happen to be in Vegas. Any one else going to make? Maybe grab a 914 lunch after? But I'll be in my 997 with air conditioning!

-Steve

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jul 7 2022, 08:07 PM) *

The unveiling is July 30

You can count on Elvira and I being there.

If there is anything specific you want pictures of, please let me know.
I know how much you all enjoy, (and how good you are at) picking cars apart in minute detail. happy11.gif

scallyk9
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 15 2022, 04:42 PM) *

I'd love to see a more accurate replica produced and might be able to help. PM sent.
Elvira
The Bumblebee Unveiling was definitely a Porsche quality event. crest.gif Barrista service and fancy breakfast hors d'oeuvres.

Elvira
Old rusty parts.
Click to view attachment

Elvira
New shiny machine.
Click to view attachment
Elvira
Back.
Click to view attachment
Elvira
Front.
Click to view attachment
Elvira
Center.
Click to view attachment
Elvira
Dash.
Click to view attachment
Elvira
Custom presentation knife forged from axel.
Click to view attachment
Elvira
Parking Lot Fan Club.
Click to view attachment
Elvira
Some other mid-engine Porches.
Click to view attachment
Elvira
The End.
Click to view attachment
914werke
Hmmm whats the significance of the "custom" knife?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.