Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frunk is locked, key won't open
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ampex351
The frunk lock got locked from the handle inside and now it won't unlock. I've tried lubing the lock and turning either way but it just won't unlock. Any ideas?

Thanks!
mepstein
You can remove the front bumper and flip the latch through a small hole that is already in the front latch area. I’ve done it and it was easy.

Then lube everything up, including the cable housing.
rhodyguy
What Mark wrote. Unlock the ignition switch so you can turn the wheels for easy access to the bumper bolts. Don't reef on the cable. Squirt every fastener with penatrent. Repeatedly.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 1 2022, 08:46 AM) *

You can remove the front bumper and flip the latch through a small hole that is already in the front latch area. I’ve done it and it was easy.

agree.gif found that little plug when I removed my bumper to do various jobs,Mark do you think this will work for the OP if the handle is locked,thinking this may stop the latch release from working ??.
bdstone914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 30 2022, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 1 2022, 08:46 AM) *

agree.gif found that little plug when I removed my bumper to do various jobs,Mark do you think this will work for the OP if the handle is locked,thinking this may stop the latch release from working ??.

It can still be opened by tripping the latch.
friethmiller
Agree, he will be actuating the latch directly. A locked handle isn't going to be a problem.
Ampex351
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 30 2022, 03:46 PM) *

I finally got it without removing the bumper. Just kept wiggling the danged key and it popped loose and unlocked!

Thanks for the tip about removing bumper just in case.
jim_hoyland
914Toy showed me neat mod to avoid getting locked out. A second cable was attached to the latch adjacent to the OEM cable; the second piece is routed directly to the front fender well, a grommeted hole allows the cable end into the turn signal cavity. Lastly, add a pull ring to the cable end.
Next time the cabin pull fails, just reach under the fender and pull the that cable.., smile.gif
eric9144
smash.gif
There's an access hole behind the bumper, I video'd it last time I had to open mine so that it would hopefully help others in the future. Once you're in there it's super easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3piAZJrKhM
Rick986
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 30 2022, 02:58 PM) *

What Mark wrote. Unlock the ignition switch so you can turn the wheels for easy access to the bumper bolts. Don't reef on the cable. Squirt every fastener with penatrent. Repeatedly.

What is "penatrent"? What else do you guys recommend lubing these parts with???
mepstein
Almost any lubricant other than WD-40.
I would also clean out the lock tumbler and use a light lube. It gets gummed up after 50 years and fails to work properly.
jim_hoyland
Another trick I picked from a Porsche mechanic: As you pull into your garage, pop open the front trunk. Close it all the way when drive off next time. Even if I drive off without completely shutting the hood, it won’t completely open. Repeated openings keeps the latch from sticking, as well as the cable from the pull handle to the latch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.