Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Evap Control System
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PNW_Boxer993
Hi all,
Getting fuel smell in garage - time to correct! Noticed that I do not have Charcoal canister. Given the photo, is it possible to place upfront? I replaced the FI with modern setup on a 2056 and it will be more difficult to set up in engine compartment area. Also, does the rubber hose in photo attach to the canister? If it is possible in frunk, what other brackets/equip would I require (as I have yet to purchase the charcoal tank.) Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!! Have an awesome 4th!!!

Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
check engine bay, probably your charcoal
canister is inside there. especially for 75/76 year.
PNW_Boxer993
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jul 1 2022, 02:06 PM) *

Thanks for the reply ND. I don't believe so - 74 2056 that has updated FI... which raises an additional question regarding plumbing the canister to this engine...

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Much more convenient to locate the can in the engine bay, you only need a single small hose through the tunnel to feed it, rather than two large diameter hoses run down the side under the side valence to circulate fan air to/from the can in the frunk.

Not condoning this but I have ocasionally seen the output hose from the carbon canister, or even the small diameter hose direct from the expansion tank be turned down to exit under the car in some safe location for situations like this. Its just fuel vapor.
Root_Werks
Others will correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought a plastic expansion tank was the cutover to single 3mm line from expansion tank to engine bay. The charcoal canister resided there.
PNW_Boxer993
Thank you both. Seems logical to add canister to engine bay. This will require that I plumb that 3mm rubber line from the fuel tank to the engine bay. It appears that acquiring a late model canister will be my next challenge.

Appreciate the guidance! Happy 4th to all!!!
JeffBowlsby
Its nylon, not rubber.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 1 2022, 05:21 PM) *

Others will correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought a plastic expansion tank was the cutover to single 3mm line from expansion tank to engine bay. The charcoal canister resided there.

no.
(but you are correct that all plastic ex tank cars had one or the other of the engine bay can instal locations).

the cutover point for shifting the can is about 3 weeks into the production of 74 1.8s.
around about the period 16-19 Nov 1973 it goes to the engine bay.
they carried on with metal expansion tanks well into calendar year 1974 for 74 MY.

there was basically two batches of 2.0L cars for 74 model year.
an earlier batch in 73 calendar year that all have frunk cans.
a later batch in 74 calendar year that all have engine bay cans.
in between is a big batch of 1.8s that start around about beginning of nov 73 and run through to approx some time around end of feb 74. know with some certainty that commencement date of 1.8s but more hazy on when it comes to an end and they start building 2.0s again. its a funny old year the 74 MY. the L jets were late getting into production.

the engine bay can instal is way easier than trying to do a frunk install on a late car.
you would have to get those big hoses in down the lhs sill behind the rocker panel.
and probably drill holes in body work etc for a frunk can.

with a bit of luck the original small diam nylon hose from when the car was built might still be in the cabin tunnel for hooking up to. which would make an engine bay can install real easy.
Montreal914
As for the canister, the later plastic ones have the advantage of being refillable. smile.gif

wonkipop
QUOTE(PNW_Boxer993 @ Jul 1 2022, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jul 1 2022, 02:06 PM) *

Thanks for the reply ND. I don't believe so - 74 2056 that has updated FI... which raises an additional question regarding plumbing the canister to this engine...

Click to view attachment

for how to plumb a 74 with engine bay can.
go here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...57407&st=40

bottom of the page has hose diagrams.

we spent a fair while tearing our hair out over this stuff.
you can read it and hopefully not get confused.
porsche did a back flip on how you hook up the hoses to the can in 1974.
even mr. b now agrees with me and has changed his view that i may have been a deranged heretic. smile.gif
i don't think it makes a huge amount of difference how its plumbed to be honest, but you can make up your own mind. this was just historical research about original stuff.
(i do think there is a very sound reason they backflipped but beer.gif ).

if the engine you have started out life as a 74 or later engine there should be a little port/nipple sticking out of the fan shroud casting on the extreme right hand side. you plug the fan blower feed hose into that which goes to the cannister.

you might have to ruin one of your air cleaners if you want to go full tilt and feed the fumes into one of the inlet throttle bodies. sad.gif

beerchug.gif
PNW_Boxer993
Thank you Wonk. I will be installing in engine bay - will need to get creative…. And will have time given the need to source a canister. Appreciate everyone’s feedback and guidance! Cheers!
Jim C
QUOTE(PNW_Boxer993 @ Jul 2 2022, 08:57 AM) *

Thank you Wonk. I will be installing in engine bay - will need to get creative…. And will have time given the need to source a canister. Appreciate everyone’s feedback and guidance! Cheers!

Having just done this, you should have a small hole at the top of the rear trunk wall on the passenger side. This is where the bracket attaches for the canister. You can jerry rig it, but try and find the proper bracket for the late canister. The bracket was much harder to find than the canister.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.