Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory foam removal-how to?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
A while back I had seen a post suggesting factory foam inside body panels could be dissolved using acetone.
Tried it without success.
Anyone out there have any formula that works?
This is in the hood of a 911 so not able to dig it out with tools.
TIA
mepstein
I was going to try gasket remover. It’s strong stuff.
sixaddict
Worth a try.
Thanks
davep
You need to do a bit of research. Cured PU foam is a real bitch to dissolve, but may break down with intense UV light. We used to use Cellosolve to clean tools and equipment before the foam cured.
sixaddict
Thanks
worn
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jul 1 2022, 10:59 AM) *

A while back I had seen a post suggesting factory foam inside body panels could be dissolved using acetone.
Tried it without success.
Anyone out there have any formula that works?
This is in the hood of a 911 so not able to dig it out with tools.
TIA

If you look at my ell hole thread I show the piece from inside the rear corner above the tail light. Dissolving is going to be hard because the foam is coverd by thick rubber sealant, which is even more rust collecting. Once the sealer is removed the foam can sometimes be simply pulled out. It is difficult but I have had success welding different wire wheels to quarter inch rod and grinding away with a drill. The sealant softens with heat, so I us3d a torch in places. It can catch fire easily, but if confined, that isn’t too big a problem. Use ventilation. After a lot of hard work i have all the foam out. The foam in the sail is the hardest.
bkrantz
I never found a solvent I was able and willing to work with that had much effect on the factory foam. I removed mine with LOTS of picking and scraping.
mb911
This is what your looking at to get rid of. Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
Over the years, I have used Berrymans B12 carb cleaner with varying results. Sometimes it dissolves it, sometimes it seems to be a little tougher. You have to get through the tar on the outside first, though.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.