Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing the 123 on a 2.4 6 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
Ok so I'm having issues installing something that shouldn't require this much work.

I have a 2.4 engine that was running fine. TDC - remove distro. Put in 123. Hook up blue to ground, red to CDI red and power, hook black up to tach and CDI black. Before hooking up black rotate CCW until green light is lit. Install cap and wires. Hook black back up. Start car.

I did this and somehow was 180 out, Great no problem I'll reset, open top valve cover. Now I'm on correct TDC cyl 1. Redo everything and no start.

What did I miss here?

Edit: looks like you need to use the mark on the cap "1". This doesn't make sense to me as it shouldn't matter where exactly the rotor points as long as the green light comes on to properly sync the number 1 firing AND you align the wires according to the post it is under. I don't really know. I went with where the #1 cap firing order is marked and adjusted the rotor to match closest to that point. Then syncd the unit illuminating the green light. Hooked all the plug wires up and bam! She fired up.
Spoke
Does it sputter or anything? Or is it like there's no spark?

Is there an online instruction sheet?
nditiz1
No sputters, large backfire once when I was 180 out.
Dion
@nditiz1 Nick I sent you a pm. I will be doing this tomorrow. I’ll keep you posted.
mepstein
I think Ben / MB911 has one on his engine.
nditiz1
Got it running. I still need to sift through the records and find the best curve @mb911 I remember seeing you ask for something similar over on Pelican. Care to share what your curve is? Did you speak with iCarp?
mb911
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 2 2022, 09:23 PM) *

Got it running. I still need to sift through the records and find the best curve @mb911 I remember seeing you ask for something similar over on Pelican. Care to share what your curve is? Did you speak with iCarp?

This is mine.Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Ian Carpenter gave me some great tech support. Here’s a curve that worked well for a car I put a 123 on. 2.7 with carbs. The little bump at the bottom helps starting. If you have the Bluetooth version you can do some cool stuff, like make a curve for best MPG on interstate cruising.
Click to view attachment
nditiz1
Awesome help guys. Perry did he say anything about a MAP curve? Also I think the distros are the same for 2.4 to 2.7, does it really go to that high advance? I guess you don't really stay up there that long anyway, but I thought for the base timing it was 32 at 6000 RPM.

Edit different part numbers on the 2.4 distri vs the 2.7 I have
Dion
Awesome Nick!!! Hope to talk to you soon.
Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.