Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear selection problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
When I try to shift into first at a stop it grinds.

I have run into this before and done a shift rod adjustment(shifter all the way toward the passenger/ rotate shift rod clockwise)

So I tried this again still grinds trying to get it into first.

Can't seem to get it into 2nd/ 3rd or 4th/5th when running but I can get them in engaged when the engine is off.

Any ideas? something internal broken? or I still don't have it adjusted correctly?
brant
worn first gear slider...
when at a stop... shift into 2nd or 3rd... then back to first.

or double clutch when rolling
or just before the car actually stops.... when it is slow... 2-3 mph... shift into 1st while rolling...

or rebuild the transmission
brant
brant
its a 400$ part... so most folks live with it for a while....
sportlicherFahrer
Sounds like you're having issues getting all gears to go in while it's running? May want to double check your clutch cable adjustment.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188218
brant
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Jul 5 2022, 10:40 AM) *

Sounds like you're having issues getting all gears to go in while it's running? May want to double check your clutch cable adjustment.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188218

good catch
tightening the clutch cable to spec first
jmargush
I'll give that a check and see how it is
914Sixer
No mention of shifter bushings. Also the ball joint the clutch pivot rides on is a plastic bushing.
jmargush
Shifter bushings are in good shape.

I added a spacer and tighten the clutch up world of difference, hopefully that was the problem.

Now it drives way different due to clutch engaging at the top of the pedal travel . maybe I am a bit tight now.

If I follow Dr. Evils recommendation for disengagement at about 1/4 - 1/3, How does one tell if the clutch is disengaged ?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
grinding into first but NOT reverse at a complete stop means that first gear is shot

If grinding into reverse and first at a complete stop, the cable needs adjustment or the disc is shattered

QUOTE(jmargush @ Jul 5 2022, 09:11 AM) *

When I try to shift into first at a stop it grinds.

I have run into this before and done a shift rod adjustment(shifter all the way toward the passenger/ rotate shift rod clockwise)

So I tried this again still grinds trying to get it into first.

Can't seem to get it into 2nd/ 3rd or 4th/5th when running but I can get them in engaged when the engine is off.

Any ideas? something internal broken? or I still don't have it adjusted correctly?

Chaznaster
If grinding in 1st and reverse at a stop, does the cable need tightening? That seems logical to me but i do not trust my logic …
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.