Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering rack spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
I was getting some steering bounce in corners and decided to look at the steering rack. I was thinking it might need some spacers due to being lowered a little. When I got in there I found it already had spacers. Measured them and they are 14mm. I've seen 6mm or 10mm for sale but 14mm seems like a lot. So now I am backtracking to see why it might have that size in there.

Are the tie rod arms supposed to be level, is that the goal? How do I figure out if I need any and what thickness if I do?
NARP74
I'm going through this, gonna be a while though.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...113405&st=0
brant
the steering arm... tie rods are supposed to be level
there is a limit to how many spacers can be fit in the rack mounts

most people lower their cars too much and still do not achieve level with the spacers
the solution is to use racing ends on the tie rods to lower them further... but its not cheap

so a better solution is to adjust ride height back up to achieve level

corner balance and ride height before 4 wheel alignment
NARP74
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 6 2022, 10:21 AM) *

the steering arm... tie rods are supposed to be level
there is a limit to how many spacers can be fit in the rack mounts

most people lower their cars too much and still do not achieve level with the spacers
the solution is to use racing ends on the tie rods to lower them further... but its not cheap

so a better solution is to adjust ride height back up to achieve level

corner balance and ride height before 4 wheel alignment

Thanks Brant, I have seen some of your posts on ride geometry. Not sure i have it in me to go through what you do, kudos though. Corner scales would be fun way to waste a few hours though. I will look at ride height next, just starting to gt into it on this car.
SirAndy
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jul 5 2022, 09:29 PM) *
Steering rack spacers, How much is too much

Any size is too much. barf.gif

I'm not a fan of them at all. It helps with the tie rod geometry but at the same time completely screws up your upper steering geometry.

Instead, i prefer to use adjustable spacers/droplinks at the tie-rod ends, where they connect to the strut assembly.

That way, you keep the stock upper steering geometry plus being able to adjust the tie rod geometry.
popcorn[1].gif
NARP74
@SirAndy are you talking about these?
https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/914/...bump-steer-kit/
SirAndy
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jul 6 2022, 09:53 AM) *

Yes, those are the ones.

They are available from several vendors, just make sure they're using high quality materials. You don't want that part to break while you are driving the car hard.
driving.gif

PS: The Elephant Racing ones appear to be well made

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.