Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires rubbing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
Rubbing on the inside fender well on the right rear, passenger side. Rubbing on the outside fender on the left rear driver side. Showing a little heat in the paint on the left side. I may need to go to a smaller size tire in the back, they are staggered now. Can the arms be adjusted or shimmed? Seems like they are not centering the wheels in the openings. Just starting to work on a new project.
steuspeed
What wheel tire combos are you running?
Chris914n6
Check the camber.
Front yard mechanic
Tires rubbing is a good thing . It means your car is running slap.gif
NARP74
Not sure which of the 2 POs installed these;
Rear is Fuchs 5 lug, 8 J 16 w/ 215 55 16
Front is Fuchs 5 lug 7 J 16 w/205 55 16 these seem fine

Camber is on my list, an alignment is in order. Need to get some shims first.

Tires rubbing is a good thing. Great comment!
StarBear
Just got the shim pack kits from 914Rubber. Includes o-ring washers and bolt end caps!
NARP74
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 6 2022, 09:10 AM) *

Just got the shim pack kits from 914Rubber. Includes o-ring washers and bolt end caps!

Thanks for the tip. Douglas Adams fan?
StarBear
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jul 6 2022, 11:31 AM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 6 2022, 09:10 AM) *

Thanks for the tip. Douglas Adams fan?

Yep! Good catch. in 1981 I almost bought a house with street address "42" but it had an in-ground oil tank and asbestos around the furnace. Bought "48" instead.
NARP74
That would have been the ultimate! 48 not so much, oh well, so long and thanks for all the fish.
burton73
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jul 6 2022, 07:40 AM) *

Not sure which of the 2 POs installed these;
Rear is Fuchs 5 lug, 8 J 16 w/ 215 55 16
Front is Fuchs 5 lug 7 J 16 w/205 55 16 these seem fine

Camber is on my list, an alignment is in order. Need to get some shims first.

Tires rubbing is a good thing. Great comment!

Up front 7s work fine but may scrape in a full turn of steering wheel when going up a driveway. You just have to go slow with that

"Rear is Fuchs 5 lug, 8 J 16 w/ 215 55 16"

Is this a 951 number or a 911 number on wheels?

I take it that you are a stock body on car no flares?

let us know.

Bob B
NARP74
No flares, I'll check on the wheel number later today.
SirAndy
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jul 6 2022, 09:37 AM) *

8" in the rear with no flares is pushing it (literally).

In addition to needing the perfect offset to make that work (by either getting wheels that have the perfect offset or using spacers to get your wheel in the right spot) you also at a minimum need to roll the fender lip and probably take a baseball bat to work the arch a bit.
smash.gif
NARP74
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 6 2022, 10:42 AM) *

In addition to needing the perfect offset to make that work (by either getting wheels that have the perfect offset or using spacers to get your wheel in the right spot) you also at a minimum need to roll the fender lip and probably take a baseball bat to work the arch a bit.
smash.gif

Noted, I was aware of that possibility when I took on this project.
StarBear
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jul 6 2022, 12:11 PM) *

That would have been the ultimate! 48 not so much, oh well, so long and thanks for all the fish.

And “Sorry for the inconvenience.”! biggrin.gif
NARP74
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 6 2022, 11:43 AM) *

And “Sorry for the inconvenience.”! biggrin.gif

We can meet for dinner at the restaurant at the end of the universe.
StarBear
I’ll buy the Gargleblasters! beer.gif
NARP74
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 6 2022, 02:39 PM) *

I’ll buy the Gargleblasters! beer.gif

biggrin.gif
StarBear

And a quirky story: among other things, I was in charge of the company HQ site intranet when I retired (now 3 years ago). On the last day I added a very small “So long, and thanks for all the fish.”in white font on a white background. So, one couldn’t see it unless it was printed (highly unlikely). I suppose someone has found and removed it by now but I’ve never heard anything. Would be amazing if it were still there, as they don’t update stuff very often. confused24.gif
NARP74
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 6 2022, 03:11 PM) *

And a quirky story: among other things, I was in charge of the company HQ site intranet when I retired (now 3 years ago). On the last day I added a very small “So long, and thanks for all the fish.”in white font on a white background. So, one couldn’t see it unless it was printed (highly unlikely). I suppose someone has found and removed it by now but I’ve never heard anything. Would be amazing if it were still there, as they don’t update stuff very often. confused24.gif

That's funny, be hilarious if it was still there.
NARP74
So can the rear arms be adjusted laterally? Answered my own question after looking at the setup.

Each one needs to go in a different direction. One wheel spacer on one side? Not sure about the other...

Guess I am looking at arch work or smaller tires for the back.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 6 2022, 09:42 AM) *

smash.gif

agree.gif

Never heard of anyone getting 215s without some sort of fender massaging…. My guess is that you have 951 stamped Fuchs, as most of the extra width is added to the inboard side of the wheel.

Lateral adjustment this going to be handled by spacers or wheel offset (there might be a little bit of play, but prob not enough to make a difference). Increasing camber helps clear a bit as well. Lateral adjustment at the front of the swing arm affects toe.
NARP74
951362.117 AS10.62
sixnotfour
951 8's ,,I had 245 /45s on a narrow car fit with a 1x4 ,,rolled fenders ,, I even went back to stock with a small amount of work.. I Gave the 914 back to my Mom..4to6to4cyl.
Before and after.. rub mark is from 15x7s and track tires..Mike Wills Bought em and had to do some more extreme work..
NARP74
So what are my options?
Metal work, inner fender and outers, rolling etc.? Not in the cards right now.
Would a 205 55 16 tire in back on the 8" buy me enough room?
Run 7s in front and back, not staggered and same tire sizes front and rear?
Can I run one wheel spacer for the side touching the inner fender? Seems weird.

It came this way so I am trying to work with what I have.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jul 14 2022, 10:56 AM) *

Can I run one wheel spacer for the side touching the inner fender? Seems weird.

Not really. 914s are notorious for the rear not being the same side to side. I had to roll my pass side 1/2" to get the same inner space. If a few mm gets it to fit then just do it. The other side you will probably have to roll or camber. Supposedly if you heat the paint it won't crack as easily if at all.
Dave_Darling
If you sell the 8s, you should have enough $$ to buy 7s and some 205-width tires to go on them.

Note that those might still rub, but it's much less likely.

8s under stock fenders is almost always a no-go.

--DD
ndfrigi
check my post #15426 if it will help.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...74&st=15420
NARP74
Thanks for the replies. I'll mount the fronts in the back and carefully check for fitment before I go that route. This was an unfinished project car, I don't think the PO ever got this far with it and never drove it. Just a big list of wishes and dreams.

I could always do this.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
NARP74
Not sure why it rotated my pic. Click on it and it should be good.
NARP74
The lips on my rear fenders have already been rolled or whatever it is called.

I mounted the front Fuchs 5 lug 7 J 16 w/ 205 55 16 (951362.115 AS10.62) on the rear, both sides, seems like plenty of room inside and out. I did not drive it since the 8s on the front rub near lock and it might be a little dangerous. Seems like the 7s and 8s have different offsets or something. The room is in different places in the wheel well with the 7s on the rear.

The 8s on a 215 laid flat with a straight edge on it sidewall to sidewall are 9 3/8 inches.

The 7s on a 205 laid flat with a straight edge on it sidewall to sidewall are 8 5/8 inches.

I could buy 2 more 205s since that is what I will probably run and mount them on the 8s just to see. I would then have the tires already and buy 2 more 7s and mount them up.

Anyone have a line on 2 more 5 lug 951 7 inch Fuchs?
NARP74
I have read that the 951 wheels were used for added brake clearance. Are they the same specs as the 911 version of the same wheel in the 7 inch size? Why the big fuss over the 951 wheels? These were on the car when I bought it, just trying to figure out the POs motivation and plan for this project.
infraredcalvin
No, the 951 8” Fuchs is not the same specs as the 911 7” Fuchs, they have similar offsets 23.3mm vs 23mm, but that’s not the whole story. The 951 8” Fuchs take most of the extra inch width (from 7” to 8”) on the inside of the rim whereas the 911 8” Fuchs take the entire extra inch to the outside of the wheel.

The distance from the face of hub to the inside face of the stock rear fender (on 911s and 914s) is the factor when fitting Fuchs, a 7” typically fits and the 911 8” pushes the tire too far out. So the 951 Fuchs is used, which puts most of the extra tire towards the inside.
targa72e
951 are rare as they were a one year option on 86 944 turbos. 951 fuchs are different in many ways. 8" are desirable for 911 folks to run on front of narrow body cars (911 8" are offset to far to the outside to fit) with 9" on rear.
The 7" are different as well. More details on differences in link below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951...ifferences.html

john
NARP74
QUOTE(targa72e @ Aug 8 2022, 10:12 PM) *

951 are rare as they were a one year option on 86 944 turbos. 951 fuchs are different in many ways. 8" are desirable for 911 folks to run on front of narrow body cars (911 8" are offset to far to the outside to fit) with 9" on rear.
The 7" are different as well. More details on differences in link below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951...ifferences.html

john

Thanks John, I will read that carefully.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.