From this week's pca enews

https://www.pca.org/news/14-reasons-why-we-...the-porsche-914
GregAmy
"no really, we always liked them!"

KMA.gif

grouphug.gif

aktion035.gif
NARP74
Funny story, PCA was a sponsor of a race I was watching online several years ago. At the end of the race they said enter your Porsche VIN for a free T-shirt. I entered the VIN for my 74 914 and never got a T-shirt.
bbrock
They need to do a little more research on #8.

Can't speak for PCA as I never tried to do anything with them back in the day, but can say that the reaction I get from fellow Porsche drivers has drastically changed from when I first started driving 914s in the early 80s to now. Apparently the invisibility cloak has worn off my car and it has been a shock to learn that 911 drivers DO know how to smile and wave. They can even give a thumbs up on occasion. biggrin.gif
gandalf_025
Interesting..

I went to my 1 and only PCA meeting in 1973..
A friend and I drove down in our 914-6’s..

I’ll guess it was the North East Region..??

I would say that we were treated like we were lower than Whale Shit..
Even the 356 people wanted no part of us..

That was a 1 and done for me…

Now I don’t care what they think and have no interest in being a member..

Good luck to them…
brant
my neighbor has a funny saying when ever he doesn't like someone....

he says " I hope they win lotto "

I asked why the person driving him crazy at work should win lotto?
he said that he hopes she buys an island and moves to it... so he never has to see them again!
GregAmy
I'll attend a local PCA meeting every once in a while (mostly when there's free food). I'm usually sitting at a table of later-model 911 owners and they go back and forth about option codes and color codes and how rare their combinations are (they know exactly how many of them were made) and HPDE days (I race with SCCA) and blah blah blah blah.

So at some point the table will go silent and they notice some other guy is at the table and ask me "and what are you driving?"

And I'll say "a '74 914" and after a brief silence someone will reply, "oh, cool" and then they go back to talking about color codes and options codes and HPDE and blah blah blah blah.

More pancakes, please!
FlacaProductions
Better late than never, I guess....
Pursang
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 6 2022, 08:53 AM) *

Can't speak for PCA as I never tried to do anything with them back in the day, but can say that the reaction I get from fellow Porsche drivers has drastically changed from when I first started driving 914s in the early 80s to now. Apparently the invisibility cloak has worn off my car and it has been a shock to learn that 911 drivers DO know how to smile and wave. They can even give a thumbs up on occasion. biggrin.gif

This pretty much reflects the same atmosphere I experienced in the late 80's/early 90's in the club. Most members were accepting but there were some who took the purist facade to the extreme. When I finally dropped my membership though, it was due to the narcissist cliques that controlled the region's politics. I do agree though that older Porsche model owners all wave these days. Funny thing is though that the abundance of newer model types seem to attract buyers that know little about or acknowledge earlier versions. Interesting side note is that I often share waves with other brands of vintage sports cars. Reminds me of the Yamaha ads in the 70's, "Different strokes for different folks."*

*Yamaha stole that quote from Muhammad Ali. biggrin.gif

Big Len
QUOTE(Pursang @ Jul 6 2022, 01:34 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 6 2022, 08:53 AM) *

This pretty much reflects the same atmosphere I experienced in the late 80's/early 90's in the club. Most members were accepting but there were some who took the purist facade to the extreme. When I finally dropped my membership though, it was due to the narcissist cliques that controlled the region's politics. I do agree though that older Porsche model owners all wave these days. Funny thing is though that the abundance of newer model types seem to attract buyers that know little about or acknowledge earlier versions. Interesting side note is that I often share waves with other brands of vintage sports cars. Reminds me of the Yamaha ads in the 70's, "Different strokes for different folks."*

*Yamaha stole that quote from Muhammad Ali. biggrin.gif

agree.gif
Shivers
I got mine in 82' and only one 911 owner would even talk to me for years. He liked the car I traded for the teener. We worked in the same complex, I wrenched and he polished Fuch's. His customers were a different kettle of fish. but I did get to see some sweet doner cars, heck some of my parts may have come from their cars. The more I learned about the 914, it's designer and his previous project successes, and the more I drove it, the more I no longer cared what anyone thought. If you like light weight mid-engined no nonsense sports cars -NARP! first.gif
EdwardBlume
In the height of my Silicon Valley days I drove a 993 daily and a couple 2.0s for fun.

At PCA events, I also said I drove a 914. If they rolled their eyes or shit their pampers, fine by me. When they stopped and talked, a true enthusiast…..

Pursang
Got me to thinking about a t-shirt a friend bought me, "My other Porsche is a Volkswagen." Always brought a smile. He had a 944 and, oddly enough, got a few snubs of his own.
bbrock
QUOTE(Pursang @ Jul 6 2022, 01:05 PM) *

Got me to thinking about a t-shirt a friend bought me, "My other Porsche is a Volkswagen." Always brought a smile. He had a 944 and, oddly enough, got a few snubs of his own.

That's awesome. I've often wondered if the 924 crowd suffered like we did. A green-blooded Audi with the engine at the wrong end? Surely there were protests.

To be honest, I had very mixed emotions the day a 930 turbo driver gave me a wave. Kind of felt like by being welcomed into the club, I was being kicked out of a better one. I kind of liked being the red headed step child.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 6 2022, 01:41 PM) *
To be honest, I had very mixed emotions the day a 930 turbo driver gave me a wave. Kind of felt like by being welcomed into the club, I was being kicked out of a better one. I kind of liked being the red headed step child.

Ha, maybe that 930 owner was me, 1st love 914, 2nd, the 930… there are a few of us on here that have both. Funny thing is I spent a lot of time on the bird 930 forums, especially before the big run up in 930 values. They were(are) a lot like us, shunned from the elitist 911 and 356 stock or concourse crowd, because of the quest for more power (mods), also race enthusiasts, many appreciate the mid engine layout as a superior platform. Lots of them had or wanted a 914 to tweak…

I don’t think PCA as a national club ever shunned 914s, they’ve never turned away any of my dues, but unfortunately it’s always been individual snobby members that that scoffed the 914 - F them.
wonkipop
"know-alls" with "real" porsches got reason #8 wrong.

euro 1.8s? even one in the porsche museum to convince them.
bet they would still argue with you but.
always been my experience with em.
know more about my 914 than i do!!!
i just look at em with a blank smile when they start telling me about my own car.

i have a mate with a 76 911 he has had since new.
he still goes to porsche events wearing a FORD beanie on his head.
he has been doing it for years. smile.gif
KELTY360
I had a new ‘73 1.7 in SoCal and quickly learned the meaning of NARP. I’m a 914 guy, not a Porsche guy.
bbrock
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 6 2022, 06:19 PM) *

Ha, maybe that 930 owner was me, 1st love 914, 2nd, the 930… there are a few of us on here that have both. Funny thing is I spent a lot of time on the bird 930 forums, especially before the big run up in 930 values. They were(are) a lot like us, shunned from the elitist 911 and 356 stock or concourse crowd, because of the quest for more power (mods), also race enthusiasts, many appreciate the mid engine layout as a superior platform. Lots of them had or wanted a 914 to tweak…

I don’t think PCA as a national club ever shunned 914s, they’ve never turned away any of my dues, but unfortunately it’s always been individual snobby members that that scoffed the 914 - F them.

Well, the 930 driver was a quite attractive woman which only added to my emotional confusion. And just when I thought a 930 couldn't look any better. drooley.gif Shocking to learn about the shunning. I always thought the 930 was maybe just a half step below the 959 at the pinnacle of street Porsches.
infraredcalvin
Last PCA breakfast I went to with a friend, I had my 930, he had 74 euro Carrera, we were in our very early 40s. This was when 996s were rock bottom, there were a bunch of 996s and boxsters there, none of them knew anything about the air cooled cars and ignored us the whole breakfast. Just before leaving I said out loud how come the youngest guys here had the oldest cars there, and all you want to talk about is wiping down your waterpumpers, get out and drive them!

Haven’t been to one since…

But I still pay my dues and get my insurance discount….
Pezz
I'm not a PCA type person, but certainly have felt the bias when someone tells me my 914 is a VW. It used to hurt my feelings slightly, but not for the past few decades. I'd like one of those T-shirts.

Note my avatar... aktion035.gif

This sentence in #13 is true for me.
"Since it was an entry-level Porsche when new, it brought in younger members in larger quantities."

I was a teenager when I bought mine new for ~$5600. My old '67 work truck was not a ride to take women on a date. The Scarlet 914 was perfect.

I like the photos with women in 914s.

Nice comments from you all. beerchug.gif
Thanks smilie_pokal.gif
AZBanks

QUOTE(Pursang @ Jul 6 2022, 01:05 PM) *

That's awesome. I've often wondered if the 924 crowd suffered like we did. A green-blooded Audi with the engine at the wrong end? Surely there were protests.

I don't know about 924's but 944 owners fly the NARP flag and get ignored by a lot of 911 snobs.
Van B
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 6 2022, 08:31 PM) *

i just look at em with a blank smile when they start telling me about my own car.

I read the article and scrolled down the thread just to make sure @wonkipop met his obligation. Well done sir lol! beerchug.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Jul 8 2022, 01:33 PM) *

I read the article and scrolled down the thread just to make sure @wonkipop met his obligation. Well done sir lol! beerchug.gif

beer.gif

- rarest 914 of all after the various 6 factory specials.
if only i had the foresight in 1989 to go to germany instead of the USA and stashed 50 of them in a shed. i could try and whip up an internet value frenzy all these years later and cash in. smile.gif sure........... sad.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 8 2022, 09:32 PM) *

beer.gif

if only i had the foresight in 1989 to go to germany instead of the USA and stashed 50 of them in a shed. i could try and whip up an internet value frenzy all these years later and cash in. smile.gif sure........... sad.gif

Eh hem... post #4 shades.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 6 2022, 09:53 AM) *

wonkipop
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 8 2022, 09:37 PM) *

beer.gif

apologies @bbrock

biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

and you would know with that fantastic homage air cleaner. ace. beer3.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 8 2022, 09:46 PM) *

beer.gif

apologies @bbrock

biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

lol-2.gif To be fair, I just left the error dangling. You came in with deets for the win. smilie_pokal.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 8 2022, 10:01 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 8 2022, 09:46 PM) *

beer.gif

apologies @bbrock

biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

lol-2.gif To be fair, I just left the error dangling. You came in with deets for the win. smilie_pokal.gif

i guess to be fair to the "know alls" with the "real" porsches there were only 101 twin carb 1.8s made in 1975. very small number of cars. don't have a figure on the 74s as the engine was shared with euro 412s. its easy to find the 75 number - the only place the engine was used was in a 914. the engine number count goes to 101.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.