Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanting a 924 (or 931) for my 60th B-day.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
So I've been doing as much reading and watching Youtube videos on 924/931 (924 Turbo) and just plain dig them.

Something about another underdog like my old 914s of past.

I have a secret envelope** in the garage that I have slowly been stashing extra cash in $10 to $20 at a time for a future purchase.

Who knows what the market will be like in the next 4 years, I have noticed cars that would have been free or $500 are now thousands of dollars.

Anyway, anyone else been lusting after one of these misunderstood transaxle cars?

**kids and wife roughly know location in case I croak before that time and the money does not get tossed along with the equipment it is stored in.
StarBear
A sweet choice. Maybe in 4 years prices will be down a bit, but for the turbo I doubt it. The later the 924 the better imho.
914Sixer
Turbo cars are a slippery slope. Not many produced and fewer parts.
rhodyguy
Stashed cash. Careful. First you explain the car and then you fessup where the money came from. That's 2 strikes right there. Then the cash flows out like the tide. #3.
Mueller
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 6 2022, 11:31 AM) *

Stashed cash. Careful. First you explain the car and then you fessup where the money came from. That's 2 strikes right there. Then the cash flows out like the tide. #3.

The wife and kids know I want a 924, I've put a nice 924S photo as the desktop background pic on all my computers at home and have rejoined the local PCA.

If I get one fine, if not no big deal.
markb
Go for it, Mike. Gotta enjoy life while ya can.

I just bought a 1965 Ford Ranchero to play with. I've wanted one for a long time, but took a detour thru a 66 El Camino (I'm just not a Chevy guy) and wound up getting what I wanted. Gotta do something when you retire. biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
Maybe you would consider an early 928? 1980-83 used L-Jet and are far less complicted than the later cars. If you can live without a 5-speed and the top end models, they can be alot of fun and are undervalued/underappreciated. Look for a quality example thats well cared for...they are around. Try to find one without a sunroof.

You probably know that a 924 engien uses one of the 928 heads.
Mueller
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 6 2022, 03:06 PM) *

Maybe you would consider an early 928? 1980-83 used L-Jet and are far less complicted than the later cars. If you can live without a 5-speed and the top end models, they can be alot of fun and are undervalued/underappreciated. Look for a quality example thats well cared for...they are around. Try to find one without a sunroof.

An early 928 is an option, the prices of those have really gone up from what I've seen.

I'd have to act quickly if that 928 resto-mod by Nardon takes off. I doubt the prices will go up like the 964s due to resto-mod demand which is good.

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/road/news/2022...urite-restomod/

sixnotfour
924S is a good Porsche, and I know of a clean one for sale in SLC utah...
JeffBowlsby
The 78-79 928s and the last models such as the GT and GTSs have skyrocketed. Not the 80-83 OBs. Avoid the bigger engines, upgraded brakes, 5 speeds, Ss, S4s, and loaded examples etc - if you are on a budget. The more lowly models will ride the shirttails of those models that are more desireable/valuable to maintain their value over time. Still parts avaibale and the maintenance is not too bad if the specific car has been well cared for. Run away from a beater.
JeffBowlsby
DP
rick 918-S
I agree the 928 is a far better car than the 924 with the Audi engine and cheap VW switches, leaking sun roofs etc.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 7 2022, 02:03 AM) *

I agree the 928 is a far better car than the 924 with the Audi engine and cheap VW switches, leaking sun roofs etc.

924S especially the '88 model is a nice car. Same motor as the 944 in a lighter more aerodynamic body. Also upgraded suspension from the Audi 924s.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 6 2022, 06:56 PM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 6 2022, 03:06 PM) *

An early 928 is an option, the prices of those have really gone up from what I've seen.

I'd have to act quickly if that 928 resto-mod by Nardon takes off. I doubt the prices will go up like the 964s due to resto-mod demand which is good.

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/road/news/2022...urite-restomod/

Mueller

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a (free) 924S 14 page premium brochure for the new one in your future w00t.gif

Tom, getting rid of stuff.
r_towle
Go for it.
Check the interior, lots of cheap broken things in there.
Chris H.
Have you found 924.org yet Mike? Not super active but a lot of good info over there.

924 dot org

I kick myself every once in a while for not snatching an 87/88 924S when they were just a few grand for a really nice one.
bzettner
Going to be a difficult wait. It was painful waiting for the "right" 914, for me, years ago.

Here's a teaser! beerchug.gif

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-porsche-924s-33/
Joe Bob
I see that you are still alive......
Mueller
Dave_Darling
So, the 914 now getting too much respect for ya? wink.gif

--DD
bob
I have a 1981 NA 924 for sale if you're interested. It was Jim Pasha's old car. (he was the 924 guru BITD and did the 5-lug conversion, etc) it comes with period Recaros.
runs good. no rust!

$3500

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(bob @ Jul 14 2022, 05:37 AM) *

I have a 1981 NA 924 for sale if you're interested. It was Jim Pasha's old car. (he was the 924 guru BITD and did the 5-lug conversion, etc) it comes with period Recaros.
runs good. no rust!

$3500

Click to view attachment

I knew Jim when he was in the Diablo PCA, used to see him at the Saturday breakfasts.
bob
unfortunately, I never met him. His wife was selling it after he passed and I picked it up from her in Tennessee. Apparently they autocrossed the car a lot when they were in CA, so it has upgraded suspension bits and a few other things.
its a fun car, but I have 4 914's, so I need to make room in the garage!

-Bob
GaroldShaffer
I'm in the same boat. Just sold my 73 beater driver. Been kinda looking for a 87/88 924S or even better a 924 SE.

Hoarding my extra $$ hopefully in the spring of '24 I can be really serious and pull the trigger.
BK911
Just picked this one up a couple weeks ago.
1987 924S.
Didn't run!
Replaced crank sensors and ignition coil.
Now runs AWESOME!
So of course put up in the air for suspension brakes and steering overhaul.
Hopefully wont take too long. sad.gif

Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
Nice score and fix-up clap56.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(bob @ Jul 15 2022, 03:57 PM) *

unfortunately, I never met him. His wife was selling it after he passed and I picked it up from her in Tennessee. Apparently they autocrossed the car a lot when they were in CA, so it has upgraded suspension bits and a few other things.
its a fun car, but I have 4 914's, so I need to make room in the garage!

-Bob

Jim died washing his car…
ConeDodger
There is one on Facebook marketplace now. Guards Red, says it runs great. $8500 down from $10K original asking.
sixnotfour
SOLD $8500...
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4...dd-0409399eb319
mb911
There is a 931 a long distance friend is selling in Indy. Just had all the motor work done to. I would buy it right now if not for my garage full. Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(g911 @ Aug 8 2022, 08:36 AM) *

Not a fan of that safari treatment, otherwise a nice looking car. Kinda crazy money in my opinion.

Ben, super nice collection right there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.