Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Talked to mechanic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Talked to mechanic today about getting the 1.7 replaced. Just curious as to what you all think of this...
Anyways, he says they can assemble and install a 1.8 for me. I asked him about at least getting a 2 liter, and he said it would make no difference in going to a 2.0 bore because the heads would be the same as the 1.8. ? Is this true? He stated it would all come out to be around $3400. Is this decent? I've wanted to get something with a little more power, so I mentioned a 2056. He says he thinks it would greatly shorten the life of the engine. What exactly is done to bring the engine up to 2056cc?
I know you all are much more experienced in this...I know little to nothing. guide me pray.gif
What do you all think?
Allan
If you start with a 2.0, all you have to do is go from 94mm to 96mm P/C's I believe.

Don't know about going to a 2056 from a 1.7 or 1.8.
ClayPerrine
If you are gonna spend that much money, talk to Jake about buying an engine. He can build you a better engine than somebody who doesn't know the difference between a 1.7/1.8 head and a 2.0 head.

BTW.. 1.7/1.8 heads have smaller valves, a different spark plug angle, and only 3 intake studs.

Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 12:59 PM)
Talked to mechanic today about getting the 1.7 replaced. Just curious as to what you all think of this...
Anyways, he says they can assemble and install a 1.8 for me. I asked him about at least getting a 2 liter, and he said it would make no difference in going to a 2.0 bore because the heads would be the same as the 1.8. ? Is this true? He stated it would all come out to be around $3400. Is this decent? I've wanted to get something with a little more power, so I mentioned a 2056. He says he thinks it would greatly shorten the life of the engine. What exactly is done to bring the engine up to 2056cc?
I know you all are much more experienced in this...I know little to nothing. guide me pray.gif
What do you all think?

I, don't know about your mechanic, from what you've said, he doesn't seem to have alot of type lV knowledge.

Stroke Bore
1.7 66mm x 90mm
1.8 66mm x 93mm
2.0 71mm x 94mm
2056 71mm x 96mm

What exactly is done to bring the engine up to 2056cc?  
2 mm bore increase for a 2.0

I've wanted to get something with a little more power, so I mentioned a 2056. He says he thinks it would greatly shorten the life of the engine.
No i don't think it will.

[QUOTE]He stated it would all come out to be around $3400.
Seems kinda of expensive for a stock rebuild, and he has no idea of what your motor actually needs.

More opinions forth coming happy11.gif
Mueller
a 1.8 can easily be bumped up to a 1911 with the addition of 1.8 96mm pistons and cylinders (most cost effective upgrade), this is a decent motor and you should be happy with it.

to turn the motor into a "true" 2.0 would invole getting new rods and crank from a 2.0 motor (different stroke)

a 2056 is a 2.0 with 96mm pistons instead of 94mm pistons.

cost wise, does that include the removal and install of the new engine?

Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Aug 4 2005, 01:03 PM)
If you are gonna spend that much money, talk to Jake about buying an engine. He can build  you a better engine than somebody who doesn't know the difference between a 1.7/1.8 head and a 2.0 head.

BTW.. 1.7/1.8 heads have smaller valves, a different spark plug angle, and only 3 intake studs.

1.7 and 1.8 have 4 intake studs, the 2.0 has 3

The 1.7 has 39mm intakes I forget the exhaust size, and the 1.8 has 41mm intakes and I think 34mm exhaust, and the 2.0 has 42mm x 36mm.
Hammy
No it'd be a new engine. He said the block and heads and everything would be new. Or am I an idiot and thats the same as a rebuild? wacko.gif
Hammy
Yeah it's removal and install. Also mentioned they have welders in the shop who can do hell hole repair when the engines out...
Hammy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 4 2005, 02:23 PM)
a 1.8 can easily be bumped up to a 1911 with the addition of 1.8 96mm pistons and cylinders (most cost effective upgrade), this is a decent motor and you should be happy with it.

I believe he said that going up to a 2.0 would cost a lot more because many things would have to change. Believe he said something about intake size? (i'm probably mistaken)
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 04:25 PM)
No it'd be a new engine. He said the block and heads and everything would be new. Or am I an idiot and thats the same as a rebuild? wacko.gif

I highly doubt the case and heads would be new... usually even cylinders are re-used, unless they came off a 1.7, AND you are going bigger pistons... 1.8/2.0 cylinders can be opened up to about 100mm.

it doesn't sound like your guy knows a *WHOLE* lot about type 4s... a 2056 can have the same longevity as a 2.0 or 1.8...

if he's going to use 1.8 heads, then they probably need to be opened up to breathe better....

save yourself a heartache, get a Kit from Jake...

Hammy
I wish I could afford a Jake kit. Then I would need bigger carburetors and would have to pay all the labor for someone to assemble it. sad.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 04:34 PM)
I wish I could afford a Jake kit. Then I would need bigger carburetors and would have to pay all the labor for someone to assemble it. sad.gif

you can assemble it, with his video, and if you have Weber 40s, a 2056 will work fine!

my 2056 has 40s, I increased the idle and main jets, and the vents... PER JAKE's INSTRUCTIONS....

3400 will by a nice 2056 kit.
Hammy
I have Solex 34's on the 1.7. I really know honestly NOTHING about engines. What about exhaust?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 04:39 PM)
I have Solex 34's on the 1.7. .....

I'd get more than solex 34s for anything...

watch classifieds, 40s and 44s pop up at decent prices...

I really know honestly NOTHING about engines

your mechanic doesn't sound that much ahead of you if he thinks a 2056 will make it less reliable... 2mm/piston is not huge... you will have us, Jake's video, and Jake himself for backup... Jakes kits are all measured out, you won't have to guess at anything, just bolt it up

What about exhaust?

stock style stainless h/es will be fine for the street...
Hammy
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 4 2005, 02:45 PM)
What about exhaust?

Off my 1.7?
Allan
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 02:34 PM)
and would have to pay all the labor for someone to assemble it. sad.gif

Tear it apart and we'll let you know what it needs and where to send things for maching work. When you have everything you need back in your hands bring it all down here and I'll help you put it all back together.

Engine re-assembly seems to be one of the easier chores on a 914.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 4 2005, 02:45 PM)
What about exhaust?

Off my 1.7?

sure...

I have SSI 1.7 style H/Es on my 2056... once you get SSI, they are all the same diameter, so it will breathe fine.
Hammy
K so... let me see if I get this right...
2056 kit from Jake.
40 Webers will work
1.7 exhaust

Is that all thats need to get it up and running? Does the kit include everything needed?
seanery
now you've got it! clap.gif

get a new cam....Jake has some that are his grind...I've got a Webcam 494 that pulls nicely.
SirAndy
QUOTE (seanery @ Aug 4 2005, 02:56 PM)
get a new cam....Jake has some that are his grind...I've got a Webcam 494 that pulls nicely.

agree.gif get jakes 2056 kit including a nice cam, 40 webers, SSI 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers and you're ready to fly ...

wink.gif Andy

PS: i'm running 1.8L SSI HEs on my 2056 ...
Hammy
Cam... sorry, can you explain that to me? unsure.gif And what does the kit come with?
Allan
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 03:05 PM)
what does the kit come with?

Here's Jake's info page on the kits. Take a look and give him a call. I'm sure he would be more than happy to fill in all the details.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 03:05 PM)
Cam... sorry, can you explain that to me? unsure.gif And what does the kit come with?

cam = camshaft = one of them big rotating things inside an engine ...

wink.gif Andy
Dave_Darling
Camshaft. The stick with bumps along it that tells the valves when to open, how far to open, when to close, and how fast to do all of that. It's waaaaay down in the middle of the engine, so you have to tear the whole engine apart to replace it. But you have to do that to replace the crankshaft with the one that gives you a 71mm stroke measurement anyway, so it's almost free.

I don't know what's included with Jake's kits. But I'd be surprised if it wasn't all of the parts and sealants you need to assemble an engine--assuming you still keep all the fasteners and engine tin and such from the old engine. You'll have to find carbs for it (yow, 34s?) and supply the exhaust too...

--DD
Hammy
So, i'll need to get a new cam?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 05:20 PM)

it's in jake's kit...
SirAndy
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 03:20 PM)

hey hammy, if you ever make it all the way out here to oakland/sf area, i'll give you a ride in a 2056 equipped car ...

wink.gif Andy
Hammy
Ah..I'm learning. wink.gif So Webers can't be bought new anymore? Any other carbs that would work well? Are you guys sure it's as easy as you make it sound? My dad would help me for sure, but he doesn't know much either. I mean he changed the clutch and adjusted his valves on his bug when he was younger, but that's it. I don't want to be left stranded with no idea what to do.
Hammy
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Aug 4 2005, 03:27 PM)
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 03:20 PM)

hey hammy, if you ever make it all the way out here to oakland/sf area, i'll give you a ride in a 2056 equipped car ...

wink.gif Andy

That'd be fun! I go out west once in a while. Be cool to meet you.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 03:29 PM)
That'd be fun! I go out west once in a while. Be cool to meet you.

just shoot me an email when you're in the area ...

as for assembling an engine, some basic mechanic skills and the right tools and jakes VIDEO will go a long way ...

but having someone around who has done it before would be a tremendous help ...
attention to detail is the key ...
smash.gif Andy
Hammy
Hhmm.. sounds good. Really leaning towards the kit now. I know a mechanic who can probably help me assemble it together. Is it extremely labor intensive to put together, or not so bad?
Allan
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 03:45 PM)
Is it extremely labor intensive to put together, or not so bad?

Engine assembly is not at all labor intensive. If you have ALL the parts and tools it can be done in a day. In an afternoon if you've done it before.
Hammy
I see.
Thank you for all the replies everyone.... really appreciated. I'm glad I asked. How much does a good pair of 40 Webers run at?
seanery
about 4 bills I believe
Hammy
I see. And what about the Weber 44s listed in the classifieds? says they're setup for 2270 though.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 06:48 PM)
I see. And what about the Weber 44s listed in the classifieds? says they're setup for 2270 though.

doesn't matter "what" they are set up for right now, changing jets and vents is SUPER easy!!

or, you can get the 2270 kit from jake wink.gif 78.4 x 96mm!! smilie_pokal.gif little more $$ though...

Hammy
biggrin.gif haha. Think i'll go for the 2056. But 44's wouldn't be too big right? Is changing the jets and ventris "super easy" as in, something I could do myself?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 4 2005, 07:01 PM)
biggrin.gif haha. Think i'll go for the 2056. But 44's wouldn't be too big right? Is changing the jets and ventris "super easy" as in, something I could do myself?

super easy as in if I can do it, ANYONE can...

I rebuilt my 40s, changed the vents and jets in an afternoon while drinking iced tea with my wife on the patio... and mine were super dirty and I spent MOST of that time cleaning them up with B-12 carb cleaner(gud shit!)

44s will not be too big... the vents on my 40s are full blown, can't make them larger... 44s will be FINE! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.