Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75 Steering Column Switch Housing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveB
The steering column switch housing in my '75 has one of the four arms which mount to the wiper and indicator switches broken off. I found a used assembly and discovered it also has a different arm broken off. Are these arms breaking off a known problem? I am trying to figure out what causes this to break and if there is something I can do when rebuilding this housing to address this problem.

This is the housing from my car:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is from another housing I looked at for a 924:

Click to view attachment

Are there alternate switch housings which I can use or do I need to find a complete 914 housing as my starting point to rebuild this part?

Thanks,

DaveB
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup they sure do break. they are pretty unique but any 924 early model through 80 or 75 76 914 will work. The later 924 models went to three mounting pins. You will have to have someone weld the pot metal (yes there are people who can do it) or buy a used assembly (we have them)
914Sixer
I swapped my 75 column for a 74 914 one. It is plug and play. You can use your ignition lock.
jim_hoyland
What causes that piece to break ? Seems like it’s stationary, or is there something else going on ?
Chris H.
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 7 2022, 07:13 AM) *

I swapped my 75 column for a 74 914 one. It is plug and play. You can use your ignition lock.

agree.gif mine is an earlier one as well. So much easier if you ever need to change the ignition switch.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
pot metal fatigue

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 8 2022, 05:38 AM) *

What causes that piece to break ? Seems like it’s stationary, or is there something else going on ?

DaveB
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 7 2022, 05:13 AM) *

Thanks for letting me know. Does the '74 ignition lock need to be drilled like the 75 to remove it?

DaveB
914Sixer
No drilling on 74, Check your 75, seems like I did not have to drill hole. Put key in lock, twist and pull up to see what happens. Be careful, plastic cover will break and there are NO replacements. May be able to pop up with screwdriver under METAL portion of lock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.