Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Source of used transmission for Mercedes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DuckRyder
Anyone reccomend a reputable place, the closer to Atlanta the better but any where is considered.

TIA

rick 918-S
I'm sure you did a car-part. I tried it but didn't know what years swap. Good luck.
Dr. Roger
Don't let this happen to you......

I had a fantastic 300E for about 300K miles. 250K were mine.

After topping off the tranny fluid regularly for the entire time i had the car the tranny began to slip. At first just a little bit.

6 months went by and I'd put a little bit more tranny fluid in. It got worse.

After $2000 in repairs it was discovered that the fluid was the wrong kind.

MBZ has a special formulation with a specific viscosity for that tranny. Believe it.

It is even a mfg. recall/change notation for dealerships.
MecGen
Hey
Get a friend from a garage and call MB dealer for a rebiuld.
You will be surprised at the price.
Later

beerchug.gif
DuckRyder
Emily took the car to Gatlinburg (about 6 hours) and it did fine they turned it off and checked into the hotel when they came back down to go to Pigion Forge and it would not shift out of first gear. We had it towed to M-B of Knoxville hoping it was somthing somewhat minor. They called and said it needed a transmission for 4400.00. mad.gif

It may, but 4400.00 is almost twice what we paid for the car.

I'm going to collect it and the kids tomorrow. and go from there.
mihai914
Here is some links for used MB parts and performance stuff.

From what I heard, only MB will do a proper rebuild up here somewhere in Canada, with all the updates to the transmission.

Usually they have the best auto trannys on par with Toyota.

As a simple trivia, the 80s and awesome 500E was assembled by Porsche in exchange for 4 speed autos for the 928.

Consider the fact that changing a tranny is around 5 hours of labor, so if you buy used be really sure that it's good.
rick 918-S
Sounds like a shift modulator or a stuck kick down. Could have a blocked or restricked filter causing low suction by the pump. Bring it to a reputable tranny shop for a filter, flush, and fuid change. What the heck, it's worth a try. I would..

I never bring my car to the dealer. Not even the new one unless it's warrentee work. Even then... The last time we had our new truck serviced at the dealer was just before the WCC "05" It cost me the loss of the tow vehicle when
("I think... of course I can't prove it..") they failed to refill the diff! Only reason I can think of for a rear axle to fail at 9000 miles.. mad.gif
DuckRyder
I was hoping it was just low on fluid or needed a modulator.

I did not know anyone there and figured I would stand the least chance of being reamed by the dealer (Honesty wise, 98.00 an hour not withstanding.)

I will get it home and do some additional checking, got to go get her anyway, and so might as well take my friends Ram 2500 Cummins and trailer.

Biggest thing is time; I have been in Florida while and only got to take this little detour due to an understanding boss and favorable work circumstances. I have to be back Monday.

I hold out some small smidgen of hope it is something simple, and the dealer just did not check it out thoroughly.

The circumstances of the failure really do not sound like a catastrophic failure. (IE: no funny noise, smoke, burning smell...)
DuckRyder
Well,

Went and collected it. Modulator checks out (holds vac) and the fluid level is full. First and reverse engage and pull fine, wont shift.

Receipt from dealer says "Needs Transmission, no governor pressure, only 3.0 bar line pressure." The fluid isn't burned and there are no abnormal noises from the transmission.

My 125.00 factory Mercedes repair disc has no auto transmission repair information in it. Any one know if you can get parts for it? I'm temped to tear it down myself and see if it just has a stuck valve or something. If it was a C6/4 I'd already have it scattered about the garage.

Going to have my friend at a GM dealer call and see how much a MB rebuilt is his price is as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.