Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side-shifter engine mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lapuwali
The Haynes manual only shows tail-shifter mounts. I have a tail-shifter car I'm putting a complete side-shifter engine into. I bought "engine mounts" from the Bird for a side-shifter, and they sent me these rubber isolators that have two way too short studs in them. The studs don't go through the side-shifter mount bar, and there's nothing to attach them to the car.

What do these parts look like? What do I need? I'd REALLY like to get these parts before this weekend, so I can install this thing in my car.
tat2dphreak
there's 2 "L" shaped parts that attach to the engine, the "|___|" piece the tail shifter has will not work...

also, the outside mounts are different too, they are solid, not rubber... you'll need these, or your engine bar will droop too much...

I went through this last year... it sucked because it was such a trial and error process...

also, put the front shift rod in while the engine is still out... it won't go in otherwise...

jr91472
I feel your pain....I did this conversion last summer and could never find any pics. headbang.gif

But, noticed this thread yesterday in the classifieds......pics...pics...pics....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...ST&f=18&t=35837
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Aug 4 2005, 04:31 PM)
I feel your pain....I did this conversion last summer and could never find any pics. headbang.gif

But, noticed this thread yesterday in the classifieds......pics...pics...pics....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...ST&f=18&t=35837

I *THINK* those are modified/custom that Tom did to clear the hi-cap oil-pump the ones I have are a little different... confused24.gif

I'll see if I can get a pic of what I have, but I think the shroud is covering them...
lapuwali
To clarify, I have the bar, and it's mounted to the engine. That's not a problem. What I'm lacking are the parts that connect the bar to the body. I knew these were different, which is why I ordered the parts. It doesn't look like I got the right ones, however, since these are clearly rubber mounts. Perhaps they're the rubber bits to connect the engine to the bar.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Aug 4 2005, 04:44 PM)
To clarify, I have the bar, and it's mounted to the engine. That's not a problem. What I'm lacking are the parts that connect the bar to the body. I knew these were different, which is why I ordered the parts. It doesn't look like I got the right ones, however, since these are clearly rubber mounts. Perhaps they're the rubber bits to connect the engine to the bar.

ok, these ARE the rubber parts for the engine -to- bar connection...

you need the solid ones for the outside on the body? you need to find someone parting out a car... I got mine from Fred Vollemerson(vollme914 on pelican)

Dave_Darling
The outboard mounts look like pieces of U-channel. There are two smaller bolts (with nuts) to hold the mount onto the chassis, then of course the really big bolt that goes through the middle and through the engine bar. Washers for all; the one for the Big Bolt has two ends snipped off to fit inside the U-channel.

Mister PET says:

Mount ("BASE") = P/N 914 375 181 00
Big washer ("WASHER, 10.5") = 900 025 008 02
Big bolt (BOLT HEX-HD.M 10 X 85) = N 010 472 4

Note that the bolt is 10mm shorter than the one for the tail-shift motor mount. Probably doesn't matter, though. Also note that you need two each of the mount; the nut and washer have the same part numbers as the tail-shift bits.

The other nuts and bolts and such are more standard parts.

--DD
rhodyguy
here's a picture of a late style outboard mount. i got a pair from the bird. worth it in my book. used ones have usually suffered some sort of damage from the bottom of the bar making hard contact and you have to beat on them to try to flatten them out.

k
lapuwali
Thanks all. HPH came to the rescue. Dunno why I didn't think to just go there and check, but when I did, Rich had the parts. I should have my new engine in place this weekend...
jonwatts
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Aug 4 2005, 03:56 PM)
used ones have usually suffered some sort of damage from the bottom of the bar making hard contact and you have to beat on them to try to flatten them out.

k

agree.gif

All the ones I have suffer from the center hole being tweaked like someone hit the engine bar against a parking stop or something. Maybe it's just the result of poor engine dropping technique.

URY914
If you need them bad enough you can make them out of a couple of pieces of 1" angles . Put them together so the bottom legs of the angle over lap and make a "U" shape. Drill some holes and you're done.

P
dlo914
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Aug 4 2005, 02:56 PM)
here's a picture of a late style outboard mount. i got a pair from the bird. worth it in my book. used ones have usually suffered some sort of damage from the bottom of the bar making hard contact and you have to beat on them to try to flatten them out.

k

has anyone else got a pair of these? if so PM me, in search of a pair. thanks!
rhodyguy
carrier base plate #914 375 181 00. $15.30 from pelican. no U shaped stock lying around the house. drive, pay a premium for 2 cuts or hack saw huh.gif , drill, prob don't have a bit large enough for the big bolt. buy a large steel bit for 2 holes? no thanks paul.

k
lapuwali
They're available brand new from HPH.

I suppose one could also use steel channel cut to length. The new ones are already the right length, aren't too heavy, have holes in all the right places, and are even cad-plated.
rhodyguy
handy for the bay area guys to know rich has them in stock. you're right about buying them ready made. i try to figure what my time is worth. not much, but it has some minor value. what did rich charge you for them each? plus, they come anodized. slow to rust and no painting.

k
dlo914
anyone got the link or contact to HPH?
McMark
http://www.highperformancehouse.com/
lapuwali
Rich's price was $15 ea, same as Pelican's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.