Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: locked out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doobie123
hi, i am a newbee to both the porsche world and this forum so, please be patient if i ask a silly question and know that i want any and all info that anyone can provide.
that being said, here is my problem.
i recently bought a 1975 914"barn find", i actually found it in the back of a car port. the car is very complete and rust free but, the owner, selling it for her brother who had passed away, didn't have the keys for it. in addition, the door latches are both missing. i have searched the car for the key card, no luck and she assures me that the keys can't be found. i can pop the engine cover and front trunk but the back is locked and i don't have a ignition key. i have purchased a black top blank key from my local dealer,(tucson porsche) but can't find any lock smith to help me rekey the car.
if anyone has suggestions please let me know. also, is there some hidden release for the rear trunk?
thanks for any help.
mepstein
welcome.png

I would remove the front hood pull, the part with the lock, located under the dash to the left and take it to a locksmith with your blank. Or contact Curt, he goes by Cabinetmaker on this site and send him the lock. The same key should work the ignition and the rear trunk.

Others might have a better suggestion but that’s the best I got.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
surprised that you cannot find a lock smith to cut a key, we do it here all of the time. I would take the glove box and front hood pull to a lock smith and have him cut a key, and if they are identical then you know it will probably fit the ignition. If you cannot find anyone send them to us and we will do it for you and provide a key number as well
TheCabinetmaker
Front trunk and glovebox locks rarely get replaced. Ignition, doors and rear trunk often get replaced. They get a lot of use. I say the chances of the ignition being the same are very low. Certainly not guaranteed.
windforfun
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 8 2022, 02:47 PM) *

surprised that you cannot find a lock smith to cut a key, we do it here all of the time. I would take the glove box and front hood pull to a lock smith and have him cut a key, and if they are identical then you know it will probably fit the ignition. If you cannot find anyone send them to us and we will do it for you and provide a key number as well

Talk to the Doctor!!!
doobie123
ok, i had yet another locksmith tell me he couldn't help so i'm gonna send it to the doctor.
hey doc, can i get your complete address please?
windforfun
http://www.autoatlanta.com/
davep
There is another way. When I purchase the data for my pseudo-CoA type of Report, then I get the key code most of the time. With the key code a locksmith can cut the right key for the car. Email me for more info.
sb914
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.