Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear swing arm shock bolts seized
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ishley
I have a 72 1.7 mostly all original and the car has had minimal work ever done on it. I’m removing all of the suspension components in preparation to tip the car on its side to replace the floors. I already did the longs and hell hole. I fixed all the other rusty spots with new metal.

I dropped the swing arms and I’m trying to get the bolts out that hold the shocks in. The nuts came off but the bolts will not budge. I’ve soaked ‘em for days with PB Blaster.. submerged the bolt area in evoporust… used a torch and a hydraulic spreader. I’ve beat on them and basically tried everything. Neither side will move. I can’t turn the bolt using a wrench on the shock end. It’s really seized.

So I’m thinking I have to cut the bolt right between the shock and the swing arm.

I’m I missing something? Any ideas? My torch is a map/O2 type and I can get the bolt red hot… at least the part sticking out on the swing arm end.

All the videos and posts that I’ve read show this bolt just sliding out.
Shivers
If you have a buddy with an air chisel, put a point in it and push them out.
mgphoto
QUOTE(Ishley @ Jul 8 2022, 03:35 PM) *

I have a 72 1.7 mostly all original and the car has had minimal work ever done on it. I’m removing all of the suspension components in preparation to tip the car on its side to replace the floors. I already did the longs and hell hole. I fixed all the other rusty spots with new metal.

I dropped the swing arms and I’m trying to get the bolts out that hold the shocks in. The nuts came off but the bolts will not budge. I’ve soaked ‘em for days with PB Blaster.. submerged the bolt area in evoporust… used a torch and a hydraulic spreader. I’ve beat on them and basically tried everything. Neither side will move. I can’t turn the bolt using a wrench on the shock end. It’s really seized.

So I’m thinking I have to cut the bolt right between the shock and the swing arm.

I’m I missing something? Any ideas? My torch is a map/O2 type and I can get the bolt red hot… at least the part sticking out on the swing arm end.

All the videos and posts that I’ve read show this bolt just sliding out.

You can use a hole saw to cut the bolts out, tangerine racing has replacements that you can weld in.

Sorry, I miss read your issue, this will not help your problem, good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.