Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caswell Black Oxide Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I got the kit and started treating parts. This is a cold gun barrel process. Parts have to be VERY CLEAN. Parts that are rough will keep the finish better. On parts like shock bolts you can polish with 00 steel wool and make them look like a gun barrel.

Did rear hubs that I studded and front torsion bar adjusters.
johnhora
Looks good Mark....
aharder
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jul 10 2022, 02:07 PM) *

Looks good Mark....

agree.gif
lesorubcheek
Thanks for sharing. Definitely something to look into. Looks great!
Dan
slivel
Will the coating on the threads and splines pose a problem? Finish looks good.
mepstein
QUOTE(slivel @ Jul 10 2022, 06:42 PM) *

Will the coating on the threads and splines pose a problem? Finish looks good.

Not an issue. It doesn’t really change any dimensions, at least not enough to matter on these pieces. Maybe a couple microns?
914Sixer
Did some shock bolts and steering shaft pieces , will have some pictures tomorrow after they dry.
Tonyooc
I believe the coating is wear resistant. We used it on some cable drums. Good stuff.
76-914
Looks great Mark! beerchug.gif
Front yard mechanic
Your car will be fast as a speeding bullet
Chaznaster
Very nice. I have to try that out.
friethmiller
Wow, Mark! I had great results replating parts with my Caswell kits for my 914. I did a lot of zinc plating with different chromates. I tried some zinc-nickel plating, as well. It really makes the restoration complete, IMO. Preparation is key, though (as you said).
TonyA
I used that stuff when we were building the Zumiez stores. They had blacked steel storefronts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.