Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil change
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
borel
Does anyone do an oil change with a pump through the filler hole, or through the oil dipstick hole?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
NO! You must, with an oil change, remove the strainer on the bottom of the engine case and clean it

QUOTE(borel @ Jul 11 2022, 08:50 AM) *

Does anyone do an oil change with a pump through the filler hole, or through the oil dipstick hole?

930cabman
NO
emerygt350
That's only kosher if you overfill....
emerygt350
Or you have no other option.
borel
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 11 2022, 02:50 PM) *

Or you have no other option.

GregAmy
In my case, knowing that the Type 4 engine has a real oil filter, I rarely pull the strainer to clean it. As with all other engines I own, I simply drain the oil using the other drain plug and replace the filter.

My rationale? We don't pull oil pans on other engines to clean the pickup tube screen (and they all have them) -- because those engines have oil filters. So unless the Type 4 engine has some design flaw that causes it to either collect - or create - large internal chunks/flakes of material, I'm perfectly comfortable just changing the oil filter (I typically run NAPA Gold).

I do the same thing with Type 4 my race car: change the oil (9 quart dry sump system, ack) and replace the Canton filter canisters.

It was a different situation with my Type 1s because they did not have oil filters; the screen was the only filter protection. Not so with the Type 4.

I'm not arguing for or against anyone's opinions or preferences. I'm simply offering what *I* do - and why. - GA
Robarabian
In my experience, I have found all kinds of things in that sump strainer.

Silicone bits from assembly that squeezed out.

But most concerning, on a high mile car, when I pulled the strainer, the oil eventually can carbonize and leave the little black deposits in the engine. The strainer catches them. So over time, the strainer will get clogged and affect oil pressure.

It is just good stewardship of the cars to remove the strainer "more often than not"... but I do it every couple oil changes. You might find something in there that gives you a warning of things to come as well.

Mind the torque value....which may be the reason people avoid this. my .02 cents only...

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 12 2022, 06:20 AM) *

In my case, knowing that the Type 4 engine has a real oil filter, I rarely pull the strainer to clean it. As with all other engines I own, I simply drain the oil using the other drain plug and replace the filter.

My rationale? We don't pull oil pans on other engines to clean the pickup tube screen (and they all have them) -- because those engines have oil filters. So unless the Type 4 engine has some design flaw that causes it to either collect - or create - large internal chunks/flakes of material, I'm perfectly comfortable just changing the oil filter (I typically run NAPA Gold).

I do the same thing with Type 4 my race car: change the oil (9 quart dry sump system, ack) and replace the Canton filter canisters.

It was a different situation with my Type 1s because they did not have oil filters; the screen was the only filter protection. Not so with the Type 4.

I'm not arguing for or against anyone's opinions or preferences. I'm simply offering what *I* do - and why. - GA

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.