Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuild Reccos
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cause
Will soon be pulling my '75 2.0 motor and doing a full rebuild—which kit you guys recommend? Not planning on doing anything on a track, just reliable and peppier. Was looking at something like this: https://aapistons.com/products/vw-type-4-pe...ne-rebuild-kits

Which CC is reasonable? which cam are people running? I already have 40 IDF Webbers and Bursch exhaust
R Dub
I went with 96mm Keith Black pistons and cylinder kit from FAT performance when I built mine a few years back to make it 2056. This way I could use the same crank, rods and case as those were all good. I did a Web cam#86 which matches the dual webers I'm running. Car runs pretty darn good. I can't say how much peppier it is over stock cause I never drove it stock but it is very fun to drive.
lesorubcheek
Options have changed since working on mine back in the early 80s, but I'll throw out what it has just as a data point for you. Pistons were the euro factory flat tops that I think gives about 8:1 for the compression. Same displacement. Camshaft was a WebCam, pretty sure like the 00-152. I didn't change it out from the PO and he said it had a "3/4" cam in it, so assume it was something like the 00-152 since it seems popular for carbs. Dual IDFs of course. Also a 009 distributor. I've heard lots of bad press about them, but honestly it never bothered me, it was always fun to drive. Maybe if I'd tried a different distributor I'd have noticed the difference.
It had a really strong mid-range. It'd pull from 45mph in 5th without gearing down so very tractable in traffic as a daily driver. Not that I lugged it down often, but just saying it pulled strong especially in the 2000-4000 rpm range. It always cranked easily hot or cold. Only serious failure was after about 5 years a valve guide worked loose and ruined one of the heads and a piston/cylinder. I rebuilt it putting the same type euro pistons and 2 new heads. Might have 5000 miles on it since then.

Dan
cgnj
This is the way to go. More displacement reduced rotating mass.
Click to view attachment
barefoot
I also converted my 2.0 to a 2056 using flat top pistons & no cylinder head spacers/gaskets & a WEB 494 cam with dual Dell 40's. Very pleased with the performance, I usually don't bother with 1st gear except for an uphill start, good low end and no flat spots. I had the cases align bored and cylinder spigots decked so run about 8.4 CR. I never see oil temps over middle of the gauge and cylinder head temps measured at #3 plug stay below 300 although I don't drive hard. Don't use aux oil cooler, just stock. I was very careful to clean out casting flash in the cylinder head cooling passages as most of them were very compromised with excess flash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.