Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How did you mount dual pole oil pressure sender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cgnj
Almost ready to wake up the 2270 after dropping the motor to change oil pump & oil pressure relief circuit. How and where did you mount the dual pole sender. I am using a braided steel hose.

Thanks in advance
sportlicherFahrer
Depending on the length of your braided line you can get a P clamp that fits around the sender and mount the clamp to the top corner of the fan housing, one of the coil mounting bolts on the tin above #4 cylinder, or just about anywhere you desire. Best to find a mount point on the engine and not the body so you're not causing flex and vibration in the line which can cause premature failure of the line or fitting at the engine case.
brant
It needs to ground I believe at the mount
I once had a clamp that was loose and had to provide a ground path
bdstone914
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 12 2022, 09:24 AM) *

It needs to ground I believe at the mount
I once had a clamp that was loose and had to provide a ground path

True. Or if you use a braided line it grounds through the line.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
go to the auto parts store and get a brass fitting with pipe threads to extend the oil pressure sending switch hole up and then screw in the sending unit

QUOTE(cgnj @ Jul 12 2022, 07:28 AM) *

Almost ready to wake up the 2270 after dropping the motor to change oil pump & oil pressure relief circuit. How and where did you mount the dual pole sender. I am using a braided steel hose.

Thanks in advance

nditiz1
metal hose clamp with 2 mounting holes. Mount close by.

Yes it does need to be grounded
NARP74
My car came with this. I was getting flaky readings and realized it was not grounded, it was loose in the mount. Came up with a kludge and I'm still looking for an elegant solution.Click to view attachment
cgnj
I think I found the p clamp I used originally.Now just need to find the box that I put the senders in.
brant
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 12 2022, 11:21 AM) *

go to the auto parts store and get a brass fitting with pipe threads to extend the oil pressure sending switch hole up and then screw in the sending unit

Thanks in advance

I’ve seen similar set ups fail
And don’t recommend this set up

Brass will work harden and crack over time. Usually at the threads. Especially with the sender weight on top

A flexible hose will dampen the vibration
Brant
nathanxnathan
When I ran a dual pole sensor and a larger Mallory Distributor, I had found (I forget where) a braided stainless line and made a bracket (just a length of flat steel with holes drilled at each end) to mount to the nearest case parting bolt. The NPT thread of the sensor would snug down on the bracket just as it sealed on the tapered thread.

I think it was npt at both ends (male at 1 female at he other) which isn't really the best imo, though it was allegedly made for that application. I do think the dual pole senders are all tapered thread? I maintain that the hole in the case wasn't originally.
Brian Fuerbach
Ground is no problem with braided line. I sleeved the bracket with shrink tube for a cleaner look.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Brian Fuerbach @ Jul 12 2022, 08:22 PM) *

Ground is no problem with braided line. I sleeved the bracket with shrink tube for a cleaner look.

Brian - PM sent. I would like to learn more about this setup.
ndfrigi
This one I was planning in doing mine.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
nathanxnathan
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Dec 21 2022, 08:25 PM) *

I did it that way once. You have to modify the tin. Also the way it looks like that one is done and how I did it, you couldn't remove/replace the sender without removing the tin which is a major job. I used a VW bus ball joint boot for the grommet I recall. I went to a larger Mallory distributor, and I had to relocate it, and regretted having messed up the tin.
VaccaRabite
You will notice a lot of people that started with dual pole senders have moved back to a T joint, a sender for the pressure gauge and a stock sender for the idiot light.

The issue is that the idiot light turns on at about 4PSI, and the dual pole will light up around 10PSI. Which can mean you have a flickering oil light on a hot engine at idle, which is disconcerting.

Its one of those things where if you don't drive the car much or very long, or you make really good pressure, a dual pole is fine. But if you drive the car long enough for the oil to really come up to temp on a stock oil pump, you may find your oil light on, even though you have okay pressure.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Dec 21 2022, 10:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Dec 21 2022, 08:25 PM) *

I did it that way once. You have to modify the tin. Also the way it looks like that one is done and how I did it, you couldn't remove/replace the sender without removing the tin which is a major job. I used a VW bus ball joint boot for the grommet I recall. I went to a larger Mallory distributor, and I had to relocate it, and regretted having messed up the tin.

oh wow! thank you for that info. Good didn’t cut my tin yet when I painted them.
NARP74
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Dec 22 2022, 07:08 AM) *

You will notice a lot of people that started with dual pole senders have moved back to a T joint, a sender for the pressure gauge and a stock sender for the idiot light.

The issue is that the idiot light turns on at about 4PSI, and the dual pole will light up around 10PSI. Which can mean you have a flickering oil light on a hot engine at idle, which is disconcerting.

Its one of those things where if you don't drive the car much or very long, or you make really good pressure, a dual pole is fine. But if you drive the car long enough for the oil to really come up to temp on a stock oil pump, you may find your oil light on, even though you have okay pressure.

Mine does that. I thought it was a symptom of engine age, probably needs a rebuild, it still might. Good to know the trigger pressures though. Another project to add to my list.
friethmiller
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Dec 22 2022, 08:08 AM) *

This is so true! I'm going to a split setup (idiot light and single pole sender). I currently have a dual pole installed and once hot, the oil pressure light flickers/comes on. It's even worse when the A/C is running which draws the rpms down a bit more.
NARP74
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Dec 22 2022, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Dec 22 2022, 08:08 AM) *

This is so true! I'm going to a split setup (idiot light and single pole sender). I currently have a dual pole installed and once hot, the oil pressure light flickers/comes on. It's even worse when the A/C is running which draws the rpms down a bit more.

I developed a habit of revving at stop lights just so I don't see the light flicker.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 12 2022, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 12 2022, 11:21 AM) *

Thanks in advance

I’ve seen similar set ups fail
And don’t recommend this set up

Brass will work harden and crack over time. Usually at the threads. Especially with the sender weight on top

A flexible hose will dampen the vibration
Brant

Brant... I have had hoses fail... even high pressure grease gun hoses. So I use the same setup George does. But I make sure the heavy gauge sender is off the side of the t fitting, and that it is supported with a padded clamp mounted to the engine tin. So it does not vibrate and work harden the brass.

Watching a 50 psi spray of hot oil whip the hose around and coat everything in the engine compartment with hot oil (including me) is scary.

Clay
jim_hoyland
Looking for a pic of a clean set up
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 22 2022, 05:08 PM) *

So I use the same setup George does. But I make sure the heavy gauge sender is off the side of the t fitting, and that it is supported with a padded clamp mounted to the engine tin. So it does not vibrate and work harden the brass.

Watching a 50 psi spray of hot oil whip the hose around and coat everything in the engine compartment with hot oil (including me) is scary.

I'm looking for a better way of running mine. Could you show a picture of the clamp you made? I'm having problems visualizing it.

Zach
Porschef
QUOTE(Brian Fuerbach @ Jul 12 2022, 09:22 PM) *

This is a good looking setup, there was a company that made the braided line for the remote sender who’s name escapes me (Ian probably knows) but the last time I checked it was no longer available... dry.gif
barefoot
I used a 1/8 NPT hose, a Tee fitting and a home made bracket bolted thru a case bolt.
It's very sturdy and won't vibrate loose. Thus i retain the idiot light & gauge sender
(the red hose ties the 2 head vents together)

Barefoot

Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(barefoot @ Sep 27 2023, 01:44 PM) *

I used a 1/8 NPT hose, a Tee fitting and a home made bracket bolted thru a case bolt.
It's very sturdy and won't vibrate loose. Thus i retain the idiot light & gauge sender
(the red hose ties the 2 head vents together)

Barefoot

Click to view attachment

I have something very similar, but use a stainless steel braided hose. Works perfect and also cheap
emerygt350
Not sure I would call it clean, but I like it. Except the zip ties, but they add at least 5hp. Gets me to work everyday. Copper. The mount for the dual pole attached to the coil mount.
Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
Unfortunately the 42 Draft Design block is no longer being produced.
Really clean and easy.
Click to view attachment
Porschef
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 27 2023, 09:33 PM) *

Unfortunately the 42 Draft Design block is no longer being produced.
Really clean and easy.
Click to view attachment

Very nice piece, I think if the hose was braided stainless it’d be fairly bulletproof. I also have the rubber hose, and while it’s been fine for years, I’d like to swap it out
Jezibel
QUOTE(Brian Fuerbach @ Jul 12 2022, 05:22 PM) *

VERY nice job and quite clean looking, as well. That set-up appeals to the German in me! Kudos for this excellent solution! Your engine bay is clean enough to eat a Wiener Schwartwalderkuche on, LoL! beerchug.gif
bkrantz
I experimented with some different set-ups to use the stock and VDO senders, but ended up with the BDO attached directly to the case. Yes, this requires sheet metal mod and can cause the oil warning lamp to come on too much, but since it also supports a pressure gauge that does not worry me.

It is THE most leak-proof and accident-proof way. Note that the VDO sender does not have tapered threads and must "bottom-out" against the case. That means the case surface must be flat, and it probably requires a machined spacer and two sealing rings.
Montreal914
I haven't studied the oil network, but for those using an external full flow with remote oil filter, could the block-off installed instead of the stock filter mount be a good location for the VDO pressure sensor? The switch could stay in the stock location.

I could see a nice machined aluminum block off cover with a tapped port for the VDO can. No hoses, grounded, solid and accessible from underside. idea.gif

Could this work? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.