Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Wheel & Tire fitment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CCE
Hello, I am in the search to finish the stance in my narrow body 914, what are my options, I have now vw beetle steel wheels 15/5-4/130, and 165/60/15 tires and they look awfully bad. They are way in the fender, If I buy maybe a wider empi wheels, will it improve or how do everybody usually solve the issue, and is it an issue?
headbang.gif
Can anyone share some cost efficient options

Click to view attachment
sportlicherFahrer
If you're staying with 4 lug wheels, the tightest fitment you can get new currently is probably VTO Wheels' Classic 8 wheel they make for 914's. It's a 16x7 with correct offset which should allow for a 205/55R16 on a narrow body. Depending on the car, the fender lips in the rear may need rolling as all the cars vary slightly from fender fitment at the factory. There are other options out there, but it depends on the look you're going for. Stock 914 alloys are always a popular option, but they're only 5.5" width which will still leave a slight gap on the fender.

VTO Wheels

Most of the EMPI bug wheels are the wrong offset(around 17-23 or so) and will push the tire too far out in the rear in any of the 5.5" width wheels. If you find one that is between 35-40 it will fit closer to an original 914 wheel of the same width.

Going to 5 lug is a whole different game with a lot more options for wheels, but it can get expensive pretty quick.
CCE
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Jul 12 2022, 11:39 AM) *

If you're staying with 4 lug wheels, the tightest fitment you can get new currently is probably VTO Wheels' Classic 8 wheel they make for 914's. It's a 16x7 with correct offset which should allow for a 205/55R16 on a narrow body. Depending on the car, the fender lips in the rear may need rolling as all the cars vary slightly from fender fitment at the factory. There are other options out there, but it depends on the look you're going for. Stock 914 alloys are always a popular option, but they're only 5.5" width which will still leave a slight gap on the fender.

VTO Wheels

Most of the EMPI bug wheels are the wrong offset(around 17-23 or so) and will push the tire too far out in the rear in any of the 5.5" width wheels. If you find one that is between 35-40 it will fit closer to an original 914 wheel of the same width.

Going to 5 lug is a whole different game with a lot more options for wheels, but it can get expensive pretty quick.

I like that design..! A lot.. so 16”/7 works, good to know. The 5 lug is for the time a big change for me, it is a lot nicer too. But I think the VTO option will be a very good one thanks a lot! I will see how can I get a set flown to Mexico which can be a new challenge.Click to view attachment
Jamie
QUOTE(CCE @ Jul 12 2022, 10:10 AM) *

VTO Wheels

I like that design..! A lot.. so 16”/7 works, good to know. The 5 lug is for the time a big change for me, it is a lot nicer too. But I think the VTO option will be a very good one thanks a lot! I will see how can I get a set flown to Mexico which can be a new challenge.Click to view attachment

Jamie
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jul 12 2022, 11:45 AM) *

VTO Wheels

I have original Porsche steelies 15"x5 1/2" and have run 205x65x15" tires on it for years, fit just fine. I did add a 12mm spacer in front to eliminate an interior rub at lock.
Jamie

VTO Wheels

I have original steelies that are 15"x5 1/2"W and have been running 205x65x15" tires for many years, fit wells just fine. I did add a 12mm spacer in front to eliminate a full lock rub in the interior of the well. DANGIT, HOW TO DELETE DUPLICATE POSTS???
CCE
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jul 12 2022, 02:53 PM) *

VTO Wheels

I have original steelies that are 15"x5 1/2"W and have been running 205x65x15" tires for many years, fit wells just fine. I did add a 12mm spacer in front to eliminate a full lock rub in the interior of the well. DANGIT, HOW TO DELETE DUPLICATE POSTS???

The spacer is the key!

How about
The gas burner type
Literati914
man your car looks great with the steelies! I wouldn't change it..
I get it though, sometimes we just need to spend money...

CCE
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 12 2022, 09:07 PM) *

Thanks for the reply, My idea was to leave the steelies, I like them with hub caps, unfortunately the balancing was not possible (they are basically squared), additionally when they where cleaned I don’t really know what they did but they are extra thin, the material is way too thin so the car wobble if you zig zag, not a nice feel you can feel the wheels wobble… and finally in Mexico as you may know VW beetles used to be taxis, so for decades we had the same wheels on site everywhere, and the first comments when people see the car are… are those beetle wheels?… in a Porsche? sad.gif

Click to view attachment
$500 will get me a set of these. In 15” and reuse the tyres
Rufus
QUOTE(CCE @ Jul 14 2022, 11:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 12 2022, 09:07 PM) *

Thanks for the reply, My idea was to leave the steelies, I like them with hub caps, unfortunately the balancing was not possible (they are basically squared), additionally when they where cleaned I don’t really know what they did but they are extra thin, the material is way too thin so the car wobble if you zig zag, not a nice feel you can feel the wheels wobble… and finally in Mexico as you may know VW beetles used to be taxis, so for decades we had the same wheels on site everywhere, and the first comments when people see the car are… are those beetle wheels?… in a Porsche? sad.gif

Click to view attachment
$500 will get me a set of these. In 15” and reuse the tyres

First of all … what a beautiful 914! I love the color.

I like the steelies, but I think the gold of the VTO’s will complement the green very well, plus I’ve been partial to the ‘Minilite’ styling since they first came out.
Cairo94507
I agree with Rufus 100%- those will look great on your car. beerchug.gif
Driver174
These are VTO wheels with 1” spacers on front wheels and 205/50-15 tires.
CCE
QUOTE(Driver174 @ Jul 16 2022, 08:22 AM) *

They really look very good, thank you!
infraredcalvin
I love the green and gold combo, especially the minilite style. drooley.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Driver174 @ Jul 16 2022, 06:22 AM) *

@Driver174 and @Rufus
Same here VTO 15x7 and going to use 195x60 tires.

Click to view attachment
Driver174
I specified VTO Classic 15 x 7 wheels with 36mm offset. My rear wheel wells are not identical as the driver's side is narrower than the right side well. The 36mm offset is perfect for the driver's side, and I put a 1/8" spacer on right rear.

The front wheel well widths are quite large, so I spaced the 36mm offset wheels with 1" spacers to get front wheels as wide as possible.

The VTO wheels use tapered lug bolts and are not compatible with standard Porsche ball type lug bolts. Otis Inc, LA sells quality lug bolts in various lengths; I didn't care for the lug bolts that came with the VTO wheels.
RichPugh
I'm on a 16x7 on all corners w/ 205/45-16

IPB Image

IPB Image
930cabman
Currently my driver has 195/65 off brand sneakers, but will be switching to 175/65's soon. For me, I prefer a tire size close to original for several reasons, one would be
for the handling provided and another would be less stress on the chassis and more "wiping".

Ideally I would like a set of Dan Gurney wheels, but waiting for the right set to come along ($$)
mgphoto
For me it’s the Fuchs 5 1/2 x 15’s with hearts.

Click to view attachment
tedg04
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Jul 12 2022, 09:39 AM) *

Depending on the car, the fender lips in the rear may need rolling as all the cars vary slightly from fender fitment at the factory.

#1 - Thank you for the recommendation on the VTO wheels. I really like the minilite look and $200/wheel isn't cheap, but it ain't expensive either.

#2 - You aren't kidding about variance. I was really sure that 195/60 would fit great, but the driver's side rubs just ever so slightly. Off to find someone capable of a quality fender rolling.
Freezin 914
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 24 2022, 01:04 PM) *

Currently my driver has 195/65 off brand sneakers, but will be switching to 175/65's soon. For me, I prefer a tire size close to original for several reasons, one would be
for the handling provided and another would be less stress on the chassis and more "wiping".

Ideally I would like a set of Dan Gurney wheels, but waiting for the right set to come along ($$)

I may know a guy with a set of Gurneys. Let me check with him.
Dave_Darling
Lots of things to consider, with wheels. Many of those things aren't even the wheels themselves!!

First, every 914 is a little different, especially in how much room is in the rear fenders. Most of our cars are different from side to side, even. It's very common for a tire that fits tight on one side of the car to not fit at all on the other!

The tires are what rub, generally, and not the wheels themselves. But the wheels position the tire further inward or outward in the fender, and have some influence on how wide the body of the tire actually is. Wheels for VW Bugs generally move the tires out farther in the fender than 914 wheels do, which tends to limit the size of tire that fits without rubbing.

Alignment can affect what fits, particularly camber. Some negative camber can trade a little less room between the inside edge of the tier and the inner fender for a little more room between the outside edge of the tire and the outer fender. But that changes the handling of the car and potentially the tire wear, which may not be what you want.

So with that said, there are 6x16 wheels that can work on some 914s with some tires. There are even 7" wide wheels that can sometimes work.

The easiest answers for what tires to run, though, are:

- The original wheels for 72+ 914s were 5.5"x15", and ran 165/80-15 tires. They give as close to the original experience as you are likely to get.
- Real 914 wheels (still 5.5x15) can fit 205/60-15 tires more of the time, especially if the rear fender lips are folded over or cut. This gives a lot more grip in general.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.