Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Black Oxide Pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Got crazy
slivel
For us black oxide novices who want to dip our toes into this for our 914's, in your original post you said that the surface has to be very clean. What did you do? Your parts look great.
Did you do media blasting, just hand work with emery cloth, wire wheel, something else. TIA.
914Sixer
Used wire wheel on most, then did a vinegar soaking. Checked everything from there. Some required a second round of cleaning.
nathanxnathan
I'd like to see Caswell's zinc black chromate kit in action.
Literati914
would the black oxide be a no-no on bearing surfaces such as you have at the axle assemblies?

Costa05
I did the same on almost all of my hardware. Really wanted black so gave it go. Turned out great. So far at least.
Click to view attachment
friethmiller
If anyone is curious, I photo-documented my efforts in Zinc-Nickel and Zinc plating for my 914 on my smugmug site. Just a dozen or so images but each one has a few details of the action. I went "high-class" with my paper plates and scotch tape. Most of the bolts and washers were purchased from Belmetric but I did re-plate the door bolts. Another thing to keep in mind your drying rack. I recommend you take time to have a better setup than I did. My fan blew some of the small parts into each other, which messed up the 'still delicate' chromate.

https://fredriethmiller.smugmug.com/1974-Po...Apr-Jun-2020/59
nathanxnathan
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jul 13 2022, 09:11 AM) *

If anyone is curious, I photo-documented my efforts in Zinc-Nickel and Zinc plating for my 914 on my smugmug site. Just a dozen or so images but each one has a few details of the action. I went "high-class" with my paper plates and scotch tape. Most of the bolts and washers were purchased from Belmetric but I did re-plate the door bolts. Another thing to keep in mind your drying rack. I recommend you take time to have a better setup than I did. My fan blew some of the small parts into each other, which messed up the 'still delicate' chromate.

Nice,cool to see. beerchug.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jul 13 2022, 09:11 AM) *

Simply E X C E L L E N T beerchug.gif

D'man of the day pray.gif

O

Vysoc
Nice work, thank you for sharing!!

Vysoc flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.