Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should Uro parts just be renamed euro trash?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
Just put in a cht for my '75 914 2.0L engine. After driving it 60 miles, the next day I tried to start engine and NO GO! So I just grounded out the F.I. harness cht lead and drove home.
I pull the cht and tested it and there is infinite resistant.
I just ordered 2 cht from 914rubber. I hope they have engineered their cht sensor and not rebadged uro sh*t.

Is there any way that the D-jet caused the cht to go bad? Do you think I can get my money back from parts geeks since I just bought it last week.

Buck
sixnotfour
had problems with other euro sensors
Front yard mechanic
I have had great luck with URO, parts geek returns not so much
ChrisFoley
Did you contact URO before trashing them on the internet?
StarBear
I’ve had no problems with their hard parts but the only relays that have worked for me are the round multipurpose ones.
tygaboy
You've heard of "POS". Well, now there's FOS: "Failed on Shelf"
Yep, it's a thing. I've had a bunch of work done on my BMW E9 and just had a brand new driveshaft center bearing fail in less than 1000 miles. I was talking with the shop about this sort of thing and they can list example after example of issues:
- "New" alternators are failing at install
- Bosch spark plugs, specifically those made in Russia are crap. (No politics here, just stating what's happening with certain parts from certain mfg locations.)
- electronics parts? Same thing.

Our supply chains are f'd up, lowest cost manufacturers are getting the contracts and serious Q/C seems to be a thing of the past.

Rant over...
buck toenges
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jul 12 2022, 07:09 PM) *

Did you contact URO before trashing them on the internet?

well I have had 2 uro cht fail on me recently. Since they are resistors I can not think that the F.I. system is to blame for the failure. If it isn't a fault of the cht than what could cause 2 new cht from dying so fast? I am not trying to trash anybody but I am not happy about 2 cht failing so fast.

The other question is how well do the 914 rubber cht work? Are they different than uro?

And How do I get info to URO? Do you have a PH# or e-mail? Will they get me replacements or am I suppose to fight with parts geeks?

Buck
buck toenges
I must be getting old. Just found this thread AND it is by Me!

Does explain what I have been trying to find out:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2543276

Buck
mepstein
It’s a problem that every repair shop has these days. Cheap parts that don’t fit, don’t work, don’t last.
Mikey914
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Jul 12 2022, 03:44 PM) *

Just put in a cht for my '75 914 2.0L engine. After driving it 60 miles, the next day I tried to start engine and NO GO! So I just grounded out the F.I. harness cht lead and drove home.
I just ordered 2 cht from 914rubber. I hope they have engineered their cht sensor and not rebadged uro sh*t.

Is there any way that the D-jet caused the cht to go bad? Do you think I can get my money back from parts geeks since I just bought it last week.

Buck

I can guarantee it is NOT the same, and YES you should get your money back for a defective part.

That is the best way to get a manufacturer’s attention. Cash going out of the til. These should not go bad in that short of a period of time. Poor connection, or broken contacts would be my 1st guess.

If there were a problem with my part I would extend you at least that courtesy.

Mark
UROpartsman

Buck

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Oct 29 2017, 04:18 PM) *
I bought a uro cht sender that has a steel colored washer on the threaded area. Does this replace the copper washer? It isn't steel since it won't stick to a magnet.

Thanks,
Buck

Hi Buck, we sell well over a thousand of these sensors annually, and have sold more than 5,000 total. Our system doesn't show that we've received any complaints or had any returned as defective, so we'd definitely like to get your two sensors so our engineers can investigate. So we have it correct, according to your 2017 thread it sounds like your first sensor lasted from then until now, and the second sensor lasted 60 miles?

Will reply to your PM with prepaid return label details, and get your shipping info for no-charge warranty replacements.
(You could also return the recent sensor purchase to Parts Geek for a refund if you're within their return window, see https://www.partsgeek.com/aboutus.html.)
jaredmcginness
^ beerchug.gif cheers to uroparts for the good customer service.

I've had good luck with many of your parts on my old VWs.
MM1
Thank you again to 914World and well done @UROpartsman!
930cabman
All is well that ends well, sucks when we are on the side of the road with our thumb in *#&^%@

+1 with URO, customer service lives
ValcoOscar
I've been VERY pleased with all my URO purchases beerchug.gif

O
rhodyguy
I reread. You buy them thru Parts Geek? ONE time buying threw them was enough for me. Hassle. I tracked down the vendor and called. No good. 'It's KP again, I cancelled the charge to my card. The wheel is out side of my garage in the box. Arrange to have it picked up. You have my address."
Van B
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Jul 13 2022, 01:29 PM) *

Buck

I bought a uro cht sender that has a steel colored washer on the threaded area. Does this replace the copper washer? It isn't steel since it won't stick to a magnet.

Thanks,
Buck

Hi Buck, we sell well over a thousand of these sensors annually, and have sold more than 5,000 total. Our system doesn't show that we've received any complaints or had any returned as defective, so we'd definitely like to get your two sensors so our engineers can investigate. So we have it correct, according to your 2017 thread it sounds like your first sensor lasted from then until now, and the second sensor lasted 60 miles?

Will reply to your PM with prepaid return label details, and get your shipping info for no-charge warranty replacements.
(You could also return the recent sensor purchase to Parts Geek for a refund if you're within their return window, see https://www.partsgeek.com/aboutus.html.)

It’s because it’s not worth the hassle for most of us… mine failed after a couple weeks too. I threw the URO part in the trash and paid three times the price of yours for a NOS Bosch part. My point is, make a better part and we will all gladly pay more. No benefit to cheap Chinese resistors on the FI system.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a lot of quality URO parts on my Porsche’s but these CHTs are hot garbage.
mb911
QUOTE(Van B @ Jul 13 2022, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Jul 13 2022, 01:29 PM) *

Buck

Thanks,
Buck

It’s because it’s not worth the hassle for most of us… mine failed after a couple weeks too. I threw the URO part in the trash and paid three times the price of yours for a NOS Bosch part. My point is, make a better part and we will all gladly pay more. No benefit to cheap Chinese resistors on the FI system.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a lot of quality URO parts on my Porsche’s but these CHTs are hot garbage.

That's a good point. Sounds like a high quality CHT and a high quality ignition switch would pay dividends.

I must say I have some good parts from URO and some not so good parts.
UROpartsman
Thanks for the info guys, we'll get some of these back and figure out the issue - and get it fixed asap.
Van B
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Jul 14 2022, 11:41 AM) *

Thanks for the info guys, we'll get some of these back and figure out the issue - and get it fixed asap.

Glad to hear it. And I meant it to, I routinely buy URO for my 996 and 914. I actually wish you all would make some more parts… especially for us oft neglected L-Jet owners!
UROpartsman
Hi guys, quick update; we've been testing two of these sensors on a vehicle driven about 90 minutes daily for two weeks so far, and neither has failed yet. One of the sensors is attached to the exhaust to torture-test it at excessively high temperatures, and we're going to continue to run them this way indefinitely and test them periodically. We've also been heat cycling a third sensor in the lab with a heat gun, and it hasn't failed yet either.

We'll update as we know more.
Van B
Thanks for investigating this issue. Mine part did not outright fail. Instead the resistance values became so far off that it gave the computer incorrect information for starting and fueling.
Van B
Partsman,
Please ref this thread for my CHT issue: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?

Post #153 is Superhawk’s data plot and post #174 is my reading on a CHT that was only a couple months old.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.