Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbs & Wires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dwight
headbang.gif I am getting rid of the FI and going to a set of Webbers for my 1972 1.7. The harness was a mess before I bought the car but even more of a pain now that I have taken the engine out for repairs and service. My question is What in the rear wire harness can I get rid of and what do I need to keep being I don't have a computer or FI anymore? I am sure this has been discussed in past so please forgive me.

Click to view attachment
Dwight
QUOTE(Dwight @ Jul 13 2022, 09:59 AM) *

headbang.gif I am getting rid of the FI and going to a set of Webbers for my 1972 1.7. The harness was a mess before I bought the car but even more of a pain now that I have taken the engine out for repairs and service. My question is What in the rear wire harness can I get rid of and what do I need to keep being I don't have a computer or FI anymore? I am sure this has been discussed in past so please forgive me.

Click to view attachment

Dwight
QUOTE(Dwight @ Jul 13 2022, 10:00 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Dwight

Click to view attachment

Dave_Darling
Nothing. The rear harness has stuff like power to the coil and tach signal from the coil, reverse lights, heater blower, the starter signal, and so on. No FI functions.

The FI wiring harness is the one with the four-pin connector at the left-rear of the relay board. It has basically all of the FI-related stuff.

I recommend keeping the FI if you can.

--DD
nditiz1
agree.gif

I went through this with my 6 conversion. I prematurely axed the harness and board. While I didn't really need the board for anything it would have been easier to build a male side connector to hook directly into the 14 pin harness from the engine side.

My suggestion - Reconnect the 14 pin connector to the hacked line. There should be a separate engine harness for the coil wire/backup lights/etc. that connects into the 12 pin slot.

Someone on here had a really nice colored diagram showing all the wires going into the relay board and out.
Dwight
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 14 2022, 12:52 AM) *

Nothing. The rear harness has stuff like power to the coil and tach signal from the coil, reverse lights, heater blower, the starter signal, and so on. No FI functions.

The FI wiring harness is the one with the four-pin connector at the left-rear of the relay board. It has basically all of the FI-related stuff.

I recommend keeping the FI if you can.

--DD

Thanks Dave!
Dwight
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 14 2022, 08:58 AM) *

agree.gif

I went through this with my 6 conversion. I prematurely axed the harness and board. While I didn't really need the board for anything it would have been easier to build a male side connector to hook directly into the 14 pin harness from the engine side.

My suggestion - Reconnect the 14 pin connector to the hacked line. There should be a separate engine harness for the coil wire/backup lights/etc. that connects into the 12 pin slot.

Someone on here had a really nice colored diagram showing all the wires going into the relay board and out.

Thanks, if you have any pics of what you did that would be awesome as well.
rhodyguy
For powering the fuel pump for carbs, read the posting in the classic thread forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.