Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 expert shop in Northern CA, East Bay to Sac?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
torakki
I'm looking for a repair shop in Northern CA to trouble shoot a rich running engine. I've replaced and rebuilt everything and now want to take it in. Does anyone know a shop?
I've tried: Frank's in Sac. Salerno's in Rocklin, KombiHous and no response, IPB in Sac and no response, Star Auto in Vacaville, plus a few others. There must be a least one guy out there that knows these cars?
Thanks for any suggestions.
rhodyguy
High Performance House in Redwood City?
windforfun
Try George at Adolph's Auto in San Ramon. Their labor rate is only $140 per hour.

https://www.adolphsautohaus.com/
JeffBowlsby
Most of us here do our own maintenance, not that hard to learn. Most shops are not familiar with these old cars, especially the FI.

Rich could be a failing MPS, a leaky fuel injector or CSV, or a bad TS2. Start with those.
windforfun
BTW, IIRC, there is a Porsche shop in Walnut Creek. I can't remember its name. I can remember the Service Writer though. The guy was a major asshole.

There's also RMG in Sunnyvale (?). These guys tried to tell me that my 914 had been in a front end collision, which was total bullshit. Then the owner comes over & pounds in the drainage port below the gas tank. These guys must have been high on cocaine.

So...be careful!!!
Justinp71

There is Holleran's Performance in Auburn. He may be able to help. I know works on vintage 911's and 356's a lot.
Cairo94507
Holleran's Performance in Auburn is my go-to shop for my 914-6. John is a terrific guy and he knows his stuff hands down. He is so good that getting into his shop can be the only problem. He is always booked. I know he prefers to work on air-cooled cars but typically does not work on 914 4-cylinder cars. Not saying he wouldn't, but he is so stacked with work on 911, 914-6 and 356 cars that it can be a wait to get in the door. To me, it is well worth the wait. Did I mention he is a great guy? beerchug.gif
r_towle
McMark still doing business?
torakki
OK, looks like some good leads. Redwood city is a bit far plus the bridge (trailering it at $24, I believe, each trip). Walnut Creek's a little closer but maybe Auburn, I'll try first. Then work out from there.
Jeff, you responded to some of my posts over the years, trying to get this thing running right. I would work on it for a month, then put it out back for 6 months, on and off, while I work on another car (succesfuly). I've replace everything except the brain. I did barrow a brain and harnes from a friend but then it wouldn't start at all. Rebuilt the MPS, bought a new MPS, new plugs, wire, cap, rotor, CHT sensor, cold start sensor?, injectors don't leak, CSV dosn't leak, all new vacuum line kit, rebuilt secondary air valve. I'm tired of this issue and will pay someone to fix it.
I'll start calling tomorrow and Thanks for all the suggestions.
yellowporky
Gavin autowerks in Oakland is very good and does work on the 4 cylinder cars
510-633-0620. He comes highly recommended by many of my friends with 914-4's.

Steer clear of John Holleran. Just because he is in Auburn now does not mean he operates differently. If you want to dig up info its not hard. I agree that he is talented and capable but that only gets you so far.

The above referenced A-hole was probably Pacific Power Motorsports. I am sure they are not right for everyone but Eric is great and they do very good work. Also the alignment tech from the now closed Roger Krause Racing is working for them and it a great resource for setting up the old air cooled cars.
They did the final tuning and adjustments on my 73 1.7 after a 4 year restoration.

Good luck
Chris

r_towle
Be grateful you have so many choices.
I cannot think of any shop in Metro Boston that would touch a 914
JeffBowlsby
Here is one:

Bill Eason (Eason Auto Werks in Oakland)
Mueller
I'm not a professional mechanic however if you get desperate enough I could help look at it. I figure with the forums help there is a chance of getting fixed.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 14 2022, 06:50 PM) *

McMark still doing business?

Yes, most definitely Original Customs is still in business. It’s just that he is located in Grand Rapids Michigan now! blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 14 2022, 07:44 PM) *

Here is one:

Bill Eason (Eason Auto Werks in Oakland)

agree.gif
I second Bill Eason.

I just went by his shop last week, he's super busy and fully booked until September though.

I'd give him a call, he might be able to squeeze you in ...
idea.gif
torakki
Well, I may have found my answer in my own backyard. I had some paint work done by a custom painter in Vacaville and he just happened to go to the restaurant my wife works at, last night. She asked him and recomended a place right here in Fairfield. I caalled today and "YES" they work on 914's. Booked up but will take it in in 2 weeks. If this place dosen't work out, I'll go through the list posted here.

Oh, Roger Krause is closed! I just bought used slicks from him about 6, maybe 8 months ago. But, great to know, there are a few places more local (Oakland) than a two hour drive.

Thanks Mueller. Very kind of you. I've gotten a lot of help on the forums here which have got it running better. But, there's something I'm not covering very well. And, it's time to get it running and registered and enjoyed.
Thanks for everyones help. We'll see what happens next...

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
rjames
If it’s running rich and you replaced / rebuilt the MPS it could just need calibrating.
Even without a wideband O2 sensor it’s not hard to adjust it to at least get the AFR in the ballpark.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.