Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-V8 no start issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MM1
Can the brain trust please advise me on the no-start condition I have on the 1974 914-V8 conversion I picked up here on the World? (Please skip to question one - i.e. the big question- regarding the starter switch, if you’re short on time).

The starter will engage but the engine will not start as it feels like it is getting no power. I did unhook three wires from the GM “F234” regulator as well as one from the alternator and I also cleaned the body ground on the battery cables. Obviously I know nothing about electricity/wiring so it is entirely possible I screwed something else up. What I definitely messed up was the position of the wires when I reconnected them to the regulator. They were in the correct order but offset one pin to the right (2,3,4) from their original location (Original was : F,2,3-there was no wire on the fourth pin).
I figure I probably fried the regulator when I replaced the wires one pin off because it felt hot. I bought a couple of new ones and put one of them on and checked the custom fuses in the center stack from the previous owner and none of those fuses were blown. I did not check the oem fuses yet. The new regulator did not fix the no start issue.

It started and ran fine when I had a water leak at the front of the block and had to redo the cooling system and takeoff the water pump and alternator a few months ago. Prior to the water leak I had completely replaced the fuel system and that worked perfectly (at least for the 46 miles that I drove it at low speeds with only two gears -due to badly worn shift bushings) before the water leak headbang.gif ).

Although I’m having a tech friend try to track it down hopefully early tomorrow morning, I have a few questions that hopefully you can address.

The big question is: if the starter switch were going bad or was cracked and broken, is it possible that the starter would engage but the engine would get no power and therefore not start?

Second question: the “F” pin on the back of the alternator is loose - would that prevent the car from getting power even though the starter engages?

Third question: If I blew a factory fuse when I possibly burned out the regulator, which one would it be in all likelihood (counting from left to right I guess)?

Thank you for your support, as always!
mgphoto
Easy to check the starter switch, check the voltage across the coil when the starter switch is engaged.
Dredwin
There was a little crud on my battery connections and even when I 'jumped' the battery (thinking the battery was low), it would only click. I bought a new starter and when that didn't solve the problem, I cleaned the positive and negative posts/connections and it fired right up. Used the other starter on my other 914 so I didn't feel as stupid but was feeling pretty dumb.
john ee quest
We have a couple things in common. I too have a v8 powered 914, & it doesn't run.
When i bought the car u couldn't shut the motor off. Enough of my story, to answer your question; have you tried to disconnect one of the spark plug wires & then hold it close to a "ground" & see whether a spark occurs? If no spark occurs then u r correct in assuming there is another electrical issue back upstream. Can u provide a few pictures of your electrical system layout and alternator. That could trigger more ideas regarding your problem.
Dredwin
QUOTE(john ee quest @ Jul 15 2022, 12:37 PM) *

We have a couple things in common. I too have a v8 powered 914, & it doesn't run.
When i bought the car u couldn't shut the motor off. Enough of my story, to answer your question; have you tried to disconnect one of the spark plug wires & then hold it close to a "ground" & see whether a spark occurs? If no spark occurs then u r correct in assuming there is another electrical issue back upstream. Can u provide a few pictures of your electrical system layout and alternator. That could trigger more ideas regarding your problem.

Good point. I was thinking the starter was not turning, hence my reply. I also had the car die on me while driving and checked for spark. I noticed the wired leading to the distributor were loose (individual wires plugged into each prong vs. a plug). I ended up buying a HEI plug that clipped into the bottom of the distributor so individual wires wouldn't get loose. I know I'm crappy at describing what I did.
MM1
Thank you all for your suggestions so far.

My battery posts are new (Odyssey agm battery) and the starter feels strong. It’s just not getting any power to run. I can’t get to the car today so I’ll have to post pics tomorrow evening.

If anyone knows whether or not a bad starter switch would allow the car to start but not power (the coil?l) in order for it to run when the starter switch is disengaged but the ignition is still on, that would be much appreciated.
FL000
I know this may not help much, but given the starter engages and turns the motor strong, I wouldn't focus on the regulator at this point. I'll admit I don't know anything about the F234 you mentioned (other than what I googled), but I suspect the regulator is only going to effect the charging of the battery.

With no spark I would check on the distributor/ignition side of the puzzle. Speaking of that, what setup do you have - HEI?

Good luck beerchug.gif
john ee quest
probably not the starter switch, but the ignition switch is an integral part of starting the engine (spinning the starter) & keeping the engine running or cutting off the electrical juice to stop the motor.
MM1
QUOTE(FL000 @ Jul 15 2022, 08:29 PM) *

I know this may not help much, but given the starter engages and turns the motor strong, I wouldn't focus on the regulator at this point. I'll admit I don't know anything about the F234 you mentioned (other than what I googled), but I suspect the regulator is only going to effect the charging of the battery.

With no spark I would check on the distributor/ignition side of the puzzle. Speaking of that, what setup do you have - HEI?

Good luck beerchug.gif

Yep-HEI - and a new regulator.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.