Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: smoky 1970 914-4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tking327
Hello!

I am not a mechanic but y'all helped me along the way

My 1970 914-4 sat I would guess some 30 years without running; engine would not turn. We soaked it overnight w oil in spark plug holes then rocked it and engine broke free and turns with key. Compression was 90-120 range across 4 cylinders

After we replaced entire fuel system it finally runs, exciting. But a lot of white (ish) smoke comes out and keeps coming out while it runs. Any ideas? it sounds good

I am not very confident in the connection of various hoses as its hard to see things well in the 914.

Thanks!
Tom in Denver
Spoke
How long did you run it? Assuming you changed the oil as well. With all the crap you may have squirted in the cylinders, it might take a while to burn it off. Does it appear to run on all 4 cylinders?
Dave_Darling
Could the whitish smoke also be described as "blue"? If so, it's oil.

There should be no water in a 914 engine, so the smoke should not be water. Unless your exhaust is full of water, which should boil off after not too long.

If it smells strongly of fuel, there's a good chance it's way way way too much fuel.

--DD
emerygt350
I hope you changed the oil after the soak, and if so great, now change it again.
targa72e
Because its a flat engine and the pistons sit on their sides when stopped , its possible for the rings to get stuck offset to one side. I purchases a 911 many years ago that sat for a long time. In getting it to run it pumped a lot of oil into the exhaust and muffler (dripping). Once I got it running good I jumped on the highway at night and ran up and down at 4k RPM. I left quite a smoke screen for a while but eventually the rings freed and all the oil in the exhaust was burned off. Ran fine for many years after that.

john
Tking327
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 15 2022, 06:20 PM) *

How long did you run it? Assuming you changed the oil as well. With all the crap you may have squirted in the cylinders, it might take a while to burn it off. Does it appear to run on all 4 cylinders?

did change the oil once after the soak. We ran it for id say about 3-4 min, 3 times. seems to be running on all 4 I'd say (we certainly have spark and fuel in all 4) , but with an occasional backfire. could it be overheating the oil? will run it again see if we cant get it to burn off any remaining oil, and will check temp. the cooliing system is mechanical and would basically be fool proof, correct?
Tking327
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 15 2022, 07:06 PM) *

Could the whitish smoke also be described as "blue"? If so, it's oil.

There should be no water in a 914 engine, so the smoke should not be water. Unless your exhaust is full of water, which should boil off after not too long.

If it smells strongly of fuel, there's a good chance it's way way way too much fuel.

--DD

it has a blue tinge, id say. Need to smell smoke, will try
Tking327
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 15 2022, 07:18 PM) *

I hope you changed the oil after the soak, and if so great, now change it again.

changed once. will do again. i forgot to mention a lot of black crud/oil/gunk came out the exhaust on first and second start up. seems less in third
Tking327
QUOTE(targa72e @ Jul 15 2022, 10:37 PM) *

Because its a flat engine and the pistons sit on their sides when stopped , its possible for the rings to get stuck offset to one side. I purchases a 911 many years ago that sat for a long time. In getting it to run it pumped a lot of oil into the exhaust and muffler (dripping). Once I got it running good I jumped on the highway at night and ran up and down at 4k RPM. I left quite a smoke screen for a while but eventually the rings freed and all the oil in the exhaust was burned off. Ran fine for many years after that.

john

interesting. will try to run it longer but i cannot go on the road yet as i am sure the brake calipers need replacing. thanks!
Spoke
QUOTE(Tking327 @ Jul 16 2022, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 15 2022, 06:20 PM) *

did change the oil once after the soak. We ran it for id say about 3-4 min, 3 times. seems to be running on all 4 I'd say (we certainly have spark and fuel in all 4) , but with an occasional backfire. could it be overheating the oil? will run it again see if we cant get it to burn off any remaining oil, and will check temp. the cooliing system is mechanical and would basically be fool proof, correct?

When you first start up the engine cold, it's possible to touch the ends of the exhaust pipes to make sure each cylinder is firing. The oil burning off may just be in the cylinders and might take some time to blow out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.