Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time Cert vd Heli Coil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jknMrFOGMOQ
Beach914
I was with a major aerospace power transmission manufacturer in the 1980’s and the GE engine transmissions that we made required heli-coil inserts in the aluminum casings. No bare threads were used in the casings.
Heli-coil was the go to brand. Looks like other brands have been developed and introduced since.
mb911
In my oil tanks I thought about helicoils but the tang concerned me. Time serts are fine but I use a solid insert that has 2 stainless tanks on the side that you pound down with a special tool. It goes vertically down so locks it into the threads. They are hands down the best insert I have ever used. Not trying to be an advertisement but that is one of the details in my parts that others don't use as it's too expensive.
76-914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 17 2022, 06:41 AM) *

In my oil tanks I thought about helicoils but the tang concerned me. Time serts are fine but I use a solid insert that has 2 stainless tanks on the side that you pound down with a special tool. It goes vertically down so locks it into the threads. They are hands down the best insert I have ever used. Not trying to be an advertisement but that is one of the details in my parts that others don't use as it's too expensive.

What brand is that Ben? I'm sure others will want to know. BTW, this discussion usually comes up during exhaust manifold bolts stripping out. In regards to that subject I could see no difference between the Time Cert vs Heli Coil other than Heli Coil doesn't rust as badly.
mb911
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 17 2022, 05:53 AM) *

What brand is that Ben? I'm sure others will want to know. BTW, this discussion usually comes up during exhaust manifold bolts stripping out. In regards to that subject I could see no difference between the Time Cert vs Heli Coil other than Heli Coil doesn't rust as badly.

Here is a screen shot. Click to view attachment
914Toy
Thanks Kent, Excellent video - valuable info.
Superhawk996
av-943.gif even with the data right there . . . the debate goes on (not only here but also in the YouTube comments).

They are all equal (within 2 standard deviations) with respect to tensile strength - pull force (which is what matters).

Each design will have some pro's and con's for other attributes like corrosion resistance, size of the insert, anti-rotation feature, etc.

Properly installed, each performed it's intended function.
jd74914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 17 2022, 09:46 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 17 2022, 05:53 AM) *

Here is a screen shot. Click to view attachment

agree.gif

That looks like a Howmet Keysert. I've always been 100x happier with them (or other solid inserts) than wire inserts. It seems like the margin of error is higher when doing the insert operation in a non-production application, though you do generally need a bit more space to fit the solid stuff so it doesn't work in really weight optimized parts like you see in aerospace.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.