Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What in the Whistle?!?!?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thewheel69
So, I've never in 20 years come across this but the other day I was out for a jaunt in my 1974 914=4 which still has original fuel injection (fuel pump relocated to front and rebuilt) stainless steel lines... and I hear this sharp whistle/squeal coming from the rear left. I slowed down and it went away as I rolled to a stop.

I revved the motor and nothing... I started again and in about 1/4 mile it started up again... I took it out of gear and let it wind down, but it continued. (at this point I was thinking a wheel bearing spun or something in the wheel...)

I could not replicate the whistle standing still. It only happens when moving and the engine is engaged it seems.

The only thing I need to try is turning off the car to see if the sound is motor or wheel-related.

Thoughts?

Has anyone ever had this before?

Thanks in advance all.

John
wonkipop
brake pad dragging in caliper?
or something lodged in there?

take a close look at the brake shields.

in all my years driving never had what you report.
a wheel bearing is a rumble - you can change its tone steering side to side.
instinctively think a squeal/high pitched sound is to do with the brakes.
but i could be wrong.
likewise with gearbox, would think it would be a whine rather than a squeal.

only other thought is the alternator belt slipping.
might sound like its coming from the rear as sound can be hard to source.

--------

since i have your attention @thewheel69 .
you have a 1.8? is it a 74?
we have been doing some research on the 74 1.8s.
if you have one, and have time, there is a bit of data from you that could be worthwhile.
beerchug.gif
thewheel69
Thanks Wonki... I agree with all your assessments. Its more of a whistle than a squeal and definitely not a grinding...
The only other area I can think of would be something with the air intake but you would figure that would also preclude a sound produced regardless of moving or not.

Im going to try something a bit crazy and put up on my lift (rear wheels free to rotate) and put it in drive for a few minutes at slow speed and see if I can replicate.... Hope I don't drive it through my garage like in Ferris Bueller's day off! biggrin.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(thewheel69 @ Jul 17 2022, 04:55 PM) *

Thanks Wonki... I agree with all your assessments. Its more of a whistle than a squeal and definitely not a grinding...
The only other area I can think of would be something with the air intake but you would figure that would also preclude a sound produced regardless of moving or not.

Im going to try something a bit crazy and put up on my lift (rear wheels free to rotate) and put it in drive for a few minutes at slow speed and see if I can replicate.... Hope I don't drive it through my garage like in Ferris Bueller's day off! biggrin.gif

yeah get it on the lift.
maybe something is hanging down a little bit in the airstream.
like a heater hose? or something.
good luck. beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
Rev the engine in neutral. Does the noise change with engine RPM or throttle position? That points to something engine-related.

When you start coasting, does the noise gradually go down as the speed decreases? That points to something wheel-related.

--DD
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if in neutral with the engine off and whistling and changing when the steering wheel is moved left and right, typical 74 1.8 problem with the wheel bearing. Do not know why the 1.8 whistles but it does unlike the others that whine
QUOTE(thewheel69 @ Jul 16 2022, 08:08 PM) *

So, I've never in 20 years come across this but the other day I was out for a jaunt in my 1974 914=4 which still has original fuel injection (fuel pump relocated to front and rebuilt) stainless steel lines... and I hear this sharp whistle/squeal coming from the rear left. I slowed down and it went away as I rolled to a stop.

I revved the motor and nothing... I started again and in about 1/4 mile it started up again... I took it out of gear and let it wind down, but it continued. (at this point I was thinking a wheel bearing spun or something in the wheel...)

I could not replicate the whistle standing still. It only happens when moving and the engine is engaged it seems.

The only thing I need to try is turning off the car to see if the sound is motor or wheel-related.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance all.

John

wonkipop
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 18 2022, 01:44 PM) *

if in neutral with the engine off and whistling and changing when the steering wheel is moved left and right, typical 74 1.8 problem with the wheel bearing. Do not know why the 1.8 whistles but it does unlike the others that whine
QUOTE(thewheel69 @ Jul 16 2022, 08:08 PM) *

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance all.

John

wow. thats a tit bit of info. is that the rear wheel bearings doc?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.