Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My first and last concours!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
...in Lexington KY was yesterday, and earlier my 914 had been selected to participate. I'm always willing to promote our little cars, so I had "Dad's Mistress" professionally detailed and went whole hog to make a good presentation. The judges gave her a good going over for originality, and I wasn't expecting any awards knowing I was up against a national Parade winning 964 in my class. She was a star in her shiny Delphi Green, that color always catches the spectator's attention. Porsche was the featured brand this year, and the turn-out spectacular, with more than 200 in the Porsche Paddock.
Big Len
Concours are a lot of work. Your car is beautiful.
I wonder why a 964 was in your class? Was it preservation?
Jamie
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jul 17 2022, 07:48 AM) *

Concours are a lot of work. Your car is beautiful.
I wonder why a 964 was in your class? Was it preservation?

Air cooled division had 8 entries. aktion035.gif
nathanxnathan
I've always really appreciated your car, like a time capsule, unmolested. It looks like it should be in a movie, a scene set in a 1973 Porsche show room alongside some 911's. Would have been the highlight of the show for me to see it.
914werke
Why your last?
Jamie
QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 17 2022, 09:57 AM) *

Why your last?

I've discovered that the really serious, demented, concours participants have a dedicated car for concours only, most are seldom actually drivers like my Mistress. I have added driving parts such as LED headlights, front sway bar, Pertonics, body exterior repaint, custom seat for my bad back, and a few other parts to enhance driving that are not original and count as scoring deductions . barf.gif
StarBear
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jul 17 2022, 03:16 PM) *

Why your last?

I've discovered that the really serious, demented, concours participants have a dedicated car for concours only, most are seldom actually drivers like my Mistress. I have added driving parts such as LED headlights, front sway bar, Pertonics, body exterior repaint, custom seat for my bad back, and a few other parts to enhance driving that are not original and count as scoring deductions . barf.gif

agree.gif And mine is around 95+% original, original owner, and a 1.8L; really can’t with the total restorations, trailered queens and such, not to mention the 2.0s and 6s. A lot of time and money not even addressing the original windshield and Fuchs with 120k miles on them. Beauty blemishes…..
Haven’t been able to find a Preservation Class event nearby.
Still try to keep it nice and spiffy, though. shades.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jul 17 2022, 01:16 PM) *

Why your last?

smile.gif biggrin.gif

like your description. demented. smile.gif

good on you for putting it in. looks fantastic in photos.

looks like the three judges dress in the internationally agreed style of all concourse judges - preserved and maintained since the late 80s/90s. smile.gif smile.gif

well captured shot with one of them head down and arse up peering underneath.
wonkipop
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 17 2022, 03:35 PM) *

Why your last?

agree.gif And mine is around 95+% original, original owner, and a 1.8L; really can’t with the total restorations, trailered queens and such, not to mention the 2.0s and 6s. A lot of time and money not even addressing the original windshield and Fuchs with 120k miles on them. Beauty blemishes…..
Haven’t been able to find a Preservation Class event nearby.
Still try to keep it nice and spiffy, though. shades.gif

they would need to invent a new class for you and your car mate. beerchug.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 17 2022, 01:56 PM) *

Why your last?

smile.gif biggrin.gif

looks like the three judges dress in the internationally agreed style of all concourse judges - preserved and maintained since the late 80s/90s. smile.gif smile.gif

I noted that every 3 man judging team included a young guy who could get down on knees to view under the cars. av-943.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jul 17 2022, 06:01 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 17 2022, 01:56 PM) *

Why your last?

smile.gif biggrin.gif

I noted that every 3 man judging team included a young guy who could get down on knees to view under the cars. av-943.gif

smile.gif
needs a sign hanging off his belt. kick me.

the other two would be blind as bats if their eyes are anything like mine.

so much potential for corruption if you thought like i did as a 30 year old.
guy on his knees - yep you could eat your dinner off the driveshafts - walks over and collects a $100.00 bill from the owner while the two old blokes gaze off into the blurry distance.

Vysoc
Jamie's car is no garage queen, she is beautiful and she can move.
He was behind me in the North Carolina Mountains at one of the Okteenerfest's and that car can still get up to speed and handle well.
It is truly a drivable time capsule.

Great car, thanks for sharing!!!

Vysoc flag.gif
Chris H.
It wins the stock survivor class in our book Jamie. first.gif

Anything ending in "d'elegance" is not something I can compete in biggrin.gif .
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Jul 19 2022, 09:16 AM) *

Jamie's car is no garage queen, she is beautiful and she can move.
He was behind me in the North Carolina Mountains at one of the Okteenerfest's and that car can still get up to speed and handle well.
It is truly a drivable time capsule.

Great car, thanks for sharing!!!

Vysoc flag.gif

I agree, ! great looking car ,but best in class for preservation for sure, and i am in same boat my car is nice but i drive it and now i have 5-lug custom exhaust and back dated bumpers so i cant be in preservation, if its a show and shine judging i can compete with the best of them, but thats why i am in custom judging for Okteenerfest too.

oh an @Vysoc - hello Peter how are you doing?? good to see you still around and lurking some! How is the yellow submarine??

Phil
Jett
Lovely Delphi car!!

Given the nuances of these cars I suspect that there are approximately 10 people on the planet that could judge them well.

…one day I walked into a shop that was helping restore our 73 Delphi 2.0 w/appearance package… there was a PCA event going on and two concourse judges were taking detailed notes and pictures of the car. The mechanic said that the car was completely stock…. Lol we have French taillights, euro blinkers, and side warts smile.gif the car has an identity crisis, but am sure these judges had no idea.

smile.gif We drive the car often and would never think about showing it… although I like sharing pictures with this community!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
certainly the concours demands a car dedicated to that only, and to get a car to that level is a dedicated investment of hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars, AND one needs to start with a good car to begin with. THEN there are the totally original preserved cars that intimidate the restored ones every time
wonkipop
QUOTE(Jett @ Jul 19 2022, 09:12 AM) *

Lovely Delphi car!!

Given the nuances of these cars I suspect that there are approximately 10 people on the planet that could judge them well.

…one day I walked into a shop that was helping restore our 73 Delphi 2.0 w/appearance package… there was a PCA event going on and two concourse judges were taking detailed notes and pictures of the car. The mechanic said that the car was completely stock…. Lol we have French taillights, euro blinkers, and side warts smile.gif the car has an identity crisis, but am sure these judges had no idea.

smile.gif We drive the car often and would never think about showing it… although I like sharing pictures with this community!

lol-2.gif

windforfun
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 19 2022, 08:58 AM) *

certainly the concours demands a car dedicated to that only, and to get a car to that level is a dedicated investment of hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars, AND one needs to start with a good car to begin with. THEN there are the totally original preserved cars that intimidate the restored ones every time

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Exactly! Well put!

windforfun
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jul 17 2022, 08:40 AM) *

...in Lexington KY was yesterday, and earlier my 914 had been selected to participate. I'm always willing to promote our little cars, so I had "Dad's Mistress" professionally detailed and went whole hog to make a good presentation. The judges gave her a good going over for originality, and I wasn't expecting any awards knowing I was up against a national Parade winning 964 in my class. She was a star in her shiny Delphi Green, that color always catches the spectator's attention. Porsche was the featured brand this year, and the turn-out spectacular, with more than 200 in the Porsche Paddock.

I would delete your 2nd pic.

bootyshake.gif bootyshake.gif bootyshake.gif
Spoke

I've discovered that the really serious, demented, concours participants have a dedicated car for concours only, most are seldom actually drivers like my Mistress.

I met a guy like that with his '63 Corvette. The car was immaculate. He told me some of the stories about the restore like the acquisition of the interior carpet. He knew what lot number the carpet was and bugged Chevrolet in Detroit to get some. They told him they didn't have it but he kept bugging.

Finally they said they had a warehouse where many carpet remnants were stored. But he would have to look through it himself and put everything back. So he and his wife took a week trip to Detroit and looking through the warehouse, found the exact lot number carpet he was looking for.

When he takes his car to shows, he removes the wheels/tires (period correct) and puts on junk wheels. Then puts the car on the trailer to the show. At the show he puts his car where it is going to sit and puts the wheels/tires back on for the show.

Needless to say he doesn't drive his 'vette at all.
windforfun
I have a neighbor with a 911. Last year for the air cooled version. 5K or so miles on it. He NEVER drives it. Maybe it's too much car for him.

dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif
worn
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 19 2022, 06:02 PM) *

I have a neighbor with a 911. Last year for the air cooled version. 5K or so miles on it. He NEVER drives it. Maybe it's too much car for him.

dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

Interesting. I guess that fossils stand the test of time. Me, I may be a fossil, but my car isn't.
Jett
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 19 2022, 06:01 PM) *

I've discovered that the really serious, demented, concours participants have a dedicated car for concours only, most are seldom actually drivers like my Mistress.

I met a guy like that with his '63 Corvette. The car was immaculate. He told me some of the stories about the restore like the acquisition of the interior carpet. He knew what lot number the carpet was and bugged Chevrolet in Detroit to get some. They told him they didn't have it but he kept bugging.

Finally they said they had a warehouse where many carpet remnants were stored. But he would have to look through it himself and put everything back. So he and his wife took a week trip to Detroit and looking through the warehouse, found the exact lot number carpet he was looking for.

When he takes his car to shows, he removes the wheels/tires (period correct) and puts on junk wheels. Then puts the car on the trailer to the show. At the show he puts his car where it is going to sit and puts the wheels/tires back on for the show.

Needless to say he doesn't drive his 'vette at all.

Lol that is close to how we got most of the NOS carpet from George… five or six years ago we paid $2500 for most of the carpet after begging for a bit smile.gif
Jett
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 19 2022, 07:02 PM) *

dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

A close friend just inherited a top of the line 73 International Scout with 2800 miles. Father bought it new, drove it for three months and landed a job that provided a car, so he parked his.

My friend is too scared to drive it and extra cautious on who brings it back to life… very cool (cream with red top) but stressful vehicle.
mepstein
I don't get why people are too scared to drive their nice cars. We don't live forever. Might as well enjoy the ride.
wonkipop
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 19 2022, 09:31 PM) *

I don't get why people are too scared to drive their nice cars. We don't live forever. Might as well enjoy the ride.

i get em.
but i don't agree with it. necessarily.

its basically not dissimilar to a dog show?
except static objects give you less to worry about.
just a harmless form of competition.

which is why the judges should always be lampooned.
any comp about anything is only as good as the judges.

the german car club show is the best event here.
you just drive your car there.
(you don't even have to be a member, just be in a german car biggrin.gif )
no-one cares if you didn't hose it down before you go.
and there are no judges.
the president walks around and decides which car (1 only) gets the prize.
pure dictatorship - no rationality.
fantastic.
3 years ago (before covid bs) he gave it to an NSU RO80.
in his speech he said it got the prize because he had not seen one for years.
and because the owner had somehow managed to drive a real wankel to the show without breaking down.
the crowd cheered.
smile.gif

and went back to drinking a few beers and coffees and talking to each other or gazing into nostalgic engine bays. or being happily told, "go on sit in it".

best bit - its full to the brim with rolling history.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.