Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 brake calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ghettojet
Hi!
74 1.8 basket case.
So i went through the brake system
master cylinder,front calipers and 90% of lines hoses are really bad.
Calipers look like they came off the seabed.Pressure regulator looks ok.
Found a Master and lines and hoses not to difficult but the calipers are seeming really hard to locate.
Is there any sort of work around with a different caliper.
iread about 320i bmw calipers work with some machining but it those aren't really everywhere either.
going to check parts classifieds here but if anyone has any advice thank you!

Sam
Queens N.Y.
StarBear
Rebuild at PMB. Will work and look like new. Heads up - the 1.8 has the calipers with two little nipples on each caliper, not just the one. Also, keeping the little adjuster gears is very important. biggrin.gif
brant
PMB

Really the 320 calipers are not an upgrade
The often work better only because people put rebuilt calipers on when the stock brakes work just as well if they also get rebuilt

PMB will have everything you need and make sure to use good pads upgraded from stock/cheap pads to take your brakes up a level
ghettojet
amazing!
thank you!
DaveB
agree.gif
What they said

I wouldn't say my '75 1.8 is a basket case since I am able to reuse the a few of the bolts. I've rebuilding or replacing almost everything. This is my first 914 and I usually rebuild my calipers. Based on recommendations here, I sent in my original rear calipers which were boat anchors to PMB and this is what I got back:

Click to view attachment

PMB also helped me change to a 5 bolt and use a 911T strut/knuckle with 3" Brembos. So if you want to change your system, they can help, whether you buy from them or not.

Just for reference, I used the easy install 19mm master cylinder from 914 Rubber. This replaces the stupid grommet fit of the brake lines with machine fittings.

For pads, I used Porterfield R4-S Street/Autocross Compound.

Good luck,

DaveB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.