Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front hood latch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
I have the set screw tightened about as tight as I can get it, and then curl the cable around to try and keep it from slipping, but has slipped again.
Last time I reached up through the opening, and just took out the 3 allen head screws that hold the latch, to get back in there.

Any other ideas to keep it from slipping?
mepstein
It should only require a light tug to release. Lube up the cable and all the pivots on the latch.
tygaboy
I just went through this. Turns out I had worn contact areas on the two components that need to slide across each other when you try and release the latch. This was causing me to have to pull HARD to get the latch to release.
Fortunately, I had another latch handy. I removed the sticky latch and bench tested them side by side. Sure enough, there was a big difference in force needed to get them to release. Different latch installed and a gentle pull opens the latch.
Maybe all yours needs is a good cleaning and re-lube.
In my case, I tried that but it wasn't much better. I know I was lucky to have a spare latch but there you go. Hope this helps.
930cabman
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 17 2022, 03:21 PM) *

I just went through this. Turns out I had worn contact areas on the two components that need to slide across each other when you try and release the latch. This was causing me to have to pull HARD to get the latch to release.
Fortunately, I had another latch handy. I removed the sticky latch and bench tested them side by side. Sure enough, there was a big difference in force needed to get them to release. Different latch installed and a gentle pull opens the latch.
In my case, I tried that but it wasn't much better. I know I was lucky to have a spare latch but there you go. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, any chance you could take a photo of the contact areas? I am having the same issue with too much pull force to open the front trunk.
914Sixer
IS the cable sheath routed correctly?
tygaboy
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 20 2022, 04:00 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 17 2022, 03:21 PM) *

Thanks for the info, any chance you could take a photo of the contact areas? I am having the same issue with too much pull force to open the front trunk.

@930cabman - Sorry for the delayed reply. I just happened to check in on this. Tag me next time so I get notified and I'll get right back with a reply. Anyway...

Here's the latch in the closed position, with the spring in place.
tygaboy
Here it is with the spring removed. When the cable is pulled, that lower catch rotates and the surfaces indicated by the arrow have to slide against one another. You can see the contact surfaces between the parts really aren't very long.
tygaboy
My latch was fouled on those surfaces to the point that when I was setting up these pics, even with out the spring, it hung up a bit in the position you see here. I suppose you could try and get in there with a small file and deburr them...?

Anyway, there's today's installment of "When 914 Hood Latches Fail". laugh.gif
930cabman
Thank you so much for your assistance.

Once again this group of 914 fanatics' rocks

We sometimes forget this stuff is a half century old!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.