Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Loretoron
My 914 starts, runs rough, then dies , I cannot keep it running. any ideas what to do? Thanks, Ron
windforfun
QUOTE(Loretoron @ Jul 18 2022, 11:49 AM) *

My 914 starts, runs rough, then dies , I cannot keep it running. any ideas what to do? Thanks, Ron

Does it die when you give it gas? If not, raise the idle rpm.
Geezer914
Check for vacuum leaks. 1.8's run like crap if there is even a slight vacuum leak.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Jul 18 2022, 03:57 PM) *

Check for vacuum leaks. 1.8's run like crap if there is even a slight vacuum leak.

agree.gif

check all your hoses, throttle body to plenum gasket, intake boot from AFM to TB for cracks, make sure no vacuum leaks. check the oil fill cap that its tight and that the o-ring is good. the cap itself is the PCV valve.

there is more. but do all that first.

if there is no vacuum leaks, there is a chance its firing off the cold start injector.
which will let it run about 5 to 10 seconds at most. but that the injectors are not opening. so no go after the initial injection of fuel.

did this problem suddenly happen?
or develop gradually?
Van B
I think first of all, you need to become acquainted with some of the many many fellow 914 owners in your area. You’re in a good area for finding the expertise you need.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Jul 18 2022, 05:51 PM) *

I think first of all, you need to become acquainted with some of the many many fellow 914 owners in your area. You’re in a good area for finding the expertise you need.

biggrin.gif

too true.
it must be fun regularly bumping into other 914 owners.

nihil44 and i did manage to meet up a couple of months ago.
he was on a combat drop trip into melbourne.
once in a blue moon.
luckily for me he is "unfortunate" enough to also own L jets.
2 of them. double trouble!
you can't beat a face to face - a pow wow with spanners would be even better.

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Van B
Combat drop like this?
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Jul 18 2022, 08:19 PM) *

Combat drop like this?

i wish.

those black stealth look parachutes are amazing.

my father did national service in the airforce.
amberly air base near brisbane.
general duties etc. between korean war and vietnam.
my uncle went to nam.
it was all off the agenda when i finished high school.
i got soft hands and went straight to university.
think i missed something i probably would have enjoyed.

my favourite memories as a teenage were the F-111s flying over our golf course in the country on training flights when the airforce was still stationed at a big base here in victoria. they were on ground/terrain following radar flying just about tree top level. nothing gets a kid more excited than a fighter jet going overhead between the hill tops at full tilt.
deafening. frightens the hell out of you, and then you start laughing your head off at the sheer spectacle of it.
porschetub
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Jul 19 2022, 09:57 AM) *

agree.gif cut my teeth on these systems way back but not on 914's but early Golfs and BMW's,learnt a lot but about AFM FI ,mostly how they run like sh#t with air leaks .
Dave_Darling
First, check your ignition timing. Dwell, too, if you have a meter.

Then look for disconnected hoses and wires. Usually, those are a Bad Thing.

Then start checking for vacuum leaks. L-jet hates them, as has been mentioned. All hoses, look between the ribs on the rubber boot from the air flow meter to the throttle body--even check the gasket on the oil filler!!

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.