Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 with Zenith?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
Did any 914-6 engine come original with Zenith carbs?

When I look at the Porsche 914 Factory Parts Catalogue, it appears to list only two carburetor part numbers (left and right) which are 40 IDT Weber.

We acquired an engine that is 914-6 correct number range, but has Zenith 40 TIN on it. Is there any chance they are correct? I'm guessing someone just didn't care about originality, and threw them on there.

Thank you.
brant
Nope
Only came with webers
Someone in the past put those on
914Sixer
Zenith 40 TIN came on 911 T motor. They were German made. Depending on who you talk to they were a better carb than the Webers. Not as finicky and easier to maintain.
DennisV
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 18 2022, 03:56 PM) *

Zenith 40 TIN came on 911 T motor. They were German made. Depending on who you talk to they were a better carb than the Webers. Not as finicky and easier to maintain.

Do you have to do anything special to get the Zenith to work correctly in a 914-6? Other than the carbs, did anything make a 914-6 engine different than a 911T?
brant
Zeniths we’re sold originally on a 2.2 motor
The venturis are appropriate for a small bore engine
They may need to be re jeted but depending on altitude and use

The 914/6 was actually the least special motor from Porsche
Most but not all Weber parts should work
Including gaskets I believe

I don’t think zenith parts are available so using or modifying Weber parts is the only option
Optimusglen
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 20 2022, 06:51 AM) *

Zeniths we’re sold originally on a 2.2 motor
The venturis are appropriate for a small bore engine
They may need to be re jeted but depending on altitude and use

The 914/6 was actually the least special motor from Porsche
Most but not all Weber parts should work
Including gaskets I believe

I don’t think zenith parts are available so using or modifying Weber parts is the only option

The '71 911T was a 2.2 with Zeniths from the factory.

I have that motor and those carbs in my 914. At an elevation of 900ft I'm running 30mm venturis, #55 idle jets, and #130 main jets. This was ok even up to higher elevations (~9000ft) on a trip last year, but of course, it was rich at higher elevations and slow.

I never had Webers, but everything lined up just fine.
BK911
Intake manifold is the same.
Nothing else is.
Dude on ebay Alfa??? sells vents and jets.
Zeniths also came on euro 2.4Ts.
nditiz1
I'm running them on my 2.4T. I have recently purchased from that ebay seller twice with good results.
Root_Werks
If I remember correctly, there are a number of Solex parts that work in Zenith carbs. I remember using Zeniths on a number of 914-6 conversions and they worked well. Used Solex jets and other bits, maybe even venturies? Local VW speed shop at the time stocked bunch of Solex stuff that worked.
porschetub
QUOTE(BK911 @ Jul 21 2022, 03:07 AM) *

Intake manifold is the same.
Nothing else is.
Dude on ebay Alfa??? sells vents and jets.
Zeniths also came on euro 2.4Ts.

Have dealt with that seller for Zenith parts from the get go,the service,shipping and quality is top notch,they make all the real hard parts now,my last purchase was a set of throttle lever cams,really well made.
Last time I looked on there they had pretty much anything you need,while back I needed parts not listed and they supplied them.
When all the parts for these dried up no one wanted them as about the only thing you could buy was the gasket sets (@ a price ), they earned a bad rep for this reason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.