Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Rack protective plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
The bolts are badly rusted and two have rounded heads.
914Sixer
ACE, Lowes, Home Depot. Make sure they are 8.8 or better.
NARP74
My local Ace hdw has metric. Online is Belmetric and another I can't remember right now.
914e
Belmetric.
NARP74
The local Ace has single parts in bins The Lowes and Home Depot went to bags of hardware and not much of a selection. By me anyway, YMMV.
jim_hoyland
Thanks ! Ace is the Place…., smile.gif
jim_hoyland
What size bolt for the larger front bolt ?
bbrock
My local ACE is limited on metric, especially lengths. I usually can find something that will work, but isn't the exact right part. I usually look up the correct size in the PET and then order the exact match and finish through Belmetric.
nathanxnathan
Looks like #2 and #9 here

Click to view attachment

so M12 x 1.5 x 80 — Pretty long, McMaster only goes to 70mm. Pelican has genuine Porsche for like $14 a bolt.

The smaller are 8mm x 8, presumably 1.25 pitch.

jim_hoyland

Thanks Nathan smile.gif
Why is that bolt 80mm
914e
I think it is 9 and 6 that hold the cover on. The M12 x 80mm holds the support beam on and is a 19 mm head size.
nathanxnathan
QUOTE(914e @ Jul 18 2022, 08:19 PM) *

I think it is 9 and 6 that hold the cover on. The M12 x 80mm holds the support beam on and is a 19 mm head size.

Ah yeah that makes sense — I just checked my project and the bolts into the frame/car are 10 mm and the ones into the auxiliary support/crossmember are 8 mm.
windforfun
QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Jul 18 2022, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(914e @ Jul 18 2022, 08:19 PM) *

Ah yeah that makes sense — I just checked my project and the bolts into the frame/car are 10 mm and the ones into the auxiliary support/crossmember are 8 mm.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Go with SS if you can & don't forget the lock washers. Flat washers may be necessary too depending on the cover holes.
windforfun
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 18 2022, 03:47 PM) *

The bolts are badly rusted and two have rounded heads.

Looking good!!! My car was undercoated like yours.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 19 2022, 05:15 PM) *

Go with SS if you can & don't forget the lock washers. Flat washers may be necessary too depending on the cover holes.

Done, Ace had everything. Problem now is to get the old bolts out. It’s awkward getting at them from the floor;the head of one M8 is wearing away plus a tough angle.
windforfun
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 19 2022, 06:02 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 19 2022, 05:15 PM) *

Done, Ace had everything. Problem now is to get the old bolts out. It’s awkward getting at them from the floor;the head of one M8 is wearing away plus a tough angle.

Vice grips & maybe PB Blaster too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.