Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Use front tow ring as jacking point?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lockwodo
Hi all. Is it safe to raise the front end of the car by jacking under the tow ring at the front of the body pan?
914e
No, it will push up the floor of the front trunk.
914werke
agree.gif HELL NO!
porschetub
QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 19 2022, 02:04 PM) *

agree.gif HELL NO!

NO and no !!,however good for chaining your car on a trailer as a safety as I did when I picked up my roller.
Lockwodo
OK, got it guys, thanks!
NARP74
That point is built for shear strength, not whatever that other force is called...
bkrantz
Just for fun

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
VaccaRabite
Soooooo... (gets behind the blast shield)

Yes. It is. BUT you can't just put a jack on it and go to town.

Put a 2x4 on the jack so you are spreading the load across the trunk pan, and you can safely lift the front of the car this way. I've done exactly that many times without pushing in the trunk pan.

Zach
burton73
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 22 2022, 09:56 AM) *

Soooooo... (gets behind the blast shield)

Yes. It is. BUT you can't just put a jack on it and go to town.

Put a 2x4 on the jack so you are spreading the load across the trunk pan, and you can safely lift the front of the car this way. I've done exactly that many times without pushing in the trunk pan.

Zach

I have done the same over the years. works great

Bob B
nathanxnathan
I have been lifting the car I'm working on by putting a block of aluminum under 1 side under the bracket that holds the front A arm at the front, and jacking there. There was a lot of damage to the bottom of the front trunk from it having been jacked up there.

Seems like the place this is calling out
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.