Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Road Trip Assistance - Sheered 2 CV bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Spoke
I'm in Pittsburgh for the Pittsburgh Historic Grand Prix car show this Saturday. Just drove 300 miles from Allentown this morning. Was at my daughter's house and went to move the car into the garage and BANG, no drive.

2 CV bolts are sheered off and one is missing. I need to get 4 CV bolts + snor washers. I would still like to make the show this weekend. Would it be faster to ask a member to ship me some bolts or go to Pelican or other with expedited shipping?
914werke
Shoot me an address (PM)
If I cant make it to an 914 event (WCR) I can damn well help someone else make it.
Spoke
Looks like the gasket is still intact but lost a lot of CV grease.

Next question is how to get the remaining part of the studs out of the carrier. Can I drill and easy-out?
Spoke
QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 18 2022, 10:03 PM) *

Shoot me an address (PM)
If I cant make it to an 914 event (WCR) I can damn well help someone else make it.

PM sent.
914e
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 18 2022, 07:00 PM) *

I'm in Pittsburgh for the Pittsburgh Historic Grand Prix car show this Saturday. Just drove 300 miles from Allentown this morning. Was at my daughter's house and went to move the car into the garage and BANG, no drive.

2 CV bolts are sheered off and one is missing. I need to get 4 CV bolts + snor washers. I would still like to make the show this weekend. Would it be faster to ask a member to ship me some bolts or go to Pelican or other with expedited shipping?

VW also uses M8 triple square CV joint bolts on many models they are 48mm long VS the 45mm called out on the PET
914e
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 18 2022, 07:13 PM) *

Next question is how to get the remaining part of the studs out of the carrier. Can I drill and easy-out?

Without it being under load it might spin out with your fingers. I have spun broken bolts using a center punch or chisel, just find a point near the edge but not on the threads, and tap on gently to see if you can get it to turn.

Did the roll pins also shear off?
Spoke
QUOTE(914e @ Jul 18 2022, 10:24 PM) *

Without it being under load it might spin out with your fingers. I have spun broken bolts using a center punch or chisel, just find a point near the edge but not on the threads, and tap on gently to see if you can get it to turn.

I don't think the roll pins sheared off. They are not in the carrier. I'll know more tomorrow.

I can feel a little bit of the bolt on the backside of the carrier. Will check it out tomorrow.
DBF
A left-handed drill bit will often spin them out.
Chris914n6
Reverse drill bit will usually just spin them out. Sometimes comes with an easy out kit.
You need the dowel pins.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 18 2022, 07:33 PM) *

I don't think the roll pins sheared off. They are not in the carrier. I'll know more tomorrow.

I can feel a little bit of the bolt on the backside of the carrier. Will check it out tomorrow.

@spoke
Will be alot easier to remove the output flange from the trans to remove the broken bolts. If i recall correctly it is a 17mm bolt in the center of the the flange.
sechszylinder
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 18 2022, 06:00 PM) *

that must have made a lot of noise before they broke …

br

benno
sechszylinder
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 18 2022, 06:13 PM) *

I would try to remove the output flange and replace it with a spare part. They‘re pretty cheap, at least here in germany.

After beeing at home you can take your time to remove the studs from your old flange …

BR

Benno
Spoke
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 19 2022, 12:31 AM) *

Reverse drill bit will usually just spin them out. Sometimes comes with an easy out kit.
You need the dowel pins.

@Chris914n6

Can reverse drill bits be found locally? Amazon? I've never looked for them.
Spoke
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 19 2022, 01:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 18 2022, 07:33 PM) *

@spoke
Will be alot easier to remove the output flange from the trans to remove the broken bolts. If i recall correctly it is a 17mm bolt in the center of the the flange.

@bdstone914

I thought about that too Bruce, but access close up is difficult with the suspension in place. I may try that today.

brant
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 19 2022, 04:47 AM) *

You need the dowel pins.

@Chris914n6

Ace hardware is your friend
Spoke
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 19 2022, 07:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 19 2022, 04:47 AM) *

You need the dowel pins.

@Chris914n6

Ace hardware is your friend

@brant

Thanks. Heading there in a bit. I found a set in stock at Harbor Freight...In Allentown dry.gif

Amazon appears to have some too.
seanpaulmc
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 18 2022, 10:00 PM) *

Hey Spoke -

We’ve never met but I’m a fan of your work and support for these cars.

Let me know if you get what you need. Wife and I are flying in tomorrow for the PVGP and I could carry some CV bolts with me. I just need to look for them. We could meet up at the Southside Works PVGP event on Wednesday evening for example. I’m happy to help if I can.

Best of luck.

Regards,
Sean

Spoke
QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Jul 19 2022, 05:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 18 2022, 06:00 PM) *

that must have made a lot of noise before they broke …

br

benno

@sechszylinder

No, just one big BANG and no drive. I had driven 300 miles from home and was in my daughter's driveway moving the car to put it in the garage. That part of this episode was extremely lucky. beerchug.gif
brant
While you are at Ace

Buy some 6mm Allen bolts
Rtv for gasket
Allen wrench if you need it
And a tube of moly grease

I’d probably pull that stub axle to get the broken bolt out if it doesn’t turn by hand with pliers
gereed75
Spoke. I have a bunch of the bolts. Could also get a flange off of a spare trans that I have.

Text me at 412 eight four eight 9085 if I can help. I am going to the car show at the waterfront tonight. Meet there??
Spoke
QUOTE(914e @ Jul 18 2022, 10:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 18 2022, 07:00 PM) *

VW also uses M8 triple square CV joint bolts on many models they are 48mm long VS the 45mm called out on the PET

@914e

The local VW dealer does have the bolts. They are p/n N91108201 which Pelican also has. The parts guy didn't seem to have the snor washers. If I can't find them can I use some other split washer? What about using loctite on the threads?
Olympic 914
I have a bunch of the schnor washers.
If you still need them.
Not sure if I have any bolts.
GregAmy
If you need tools, assistance, or workspace, let me know; I know racers (but not 914 people though) in the Pittsburgh area.

To get home, if the two sheared off bolts won't come out easy and you still have the drive pins, then at least two bolts (if diametrically opposed), threads cleaned meticulously and loc-tited Blue, should make it 300 miles. Then you can fix it correctly when you get home. Even better if the other two broken bolts come out.

If you can't find the right washers (Edit: I see Tom has some in Pittsburgh), then again clean threads, Blue Loctite, proper torque should get you home. Stop and check them every hour or so.

I'd be worried if you don't have the drive pins, and maybe consider not driving it home until you do. The drive pins are the primary means of torque transmission, the CV bolts are there to keep it together.

As a related aside, I run the 914Rubber drilled bolts with safety wire on both my street car and racer. I've lost too many of those CV Bolts in prior versions of Rabbits, 914s, and the like. Technically they should work just fine - and usually do - when threads are clean and they're torqued properly, but the safety wire is my Binky.

Let me know if I can get you some assistance.

Greg Amy
860-301-9042 cell
Olympic 914
Also found a gasket

Sent PM
Spoke
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 19 2022, 09:23 AM) *

If you need tools, assistance, or workspace, let me know; I know racers (but not 914 people though) in the Pittsburgh area.

To get home, if the two sheared off bolts won't come out easy and you still have the drive pins, then at least two bolts (if diametrically opposed), threads cleaned meticulously and loc-tited Blue, should make it 300 miles. Then you can fix it correctly when you get home. Even better if the other two broken bolts come out.

If you can't find the right washers (Edit: I see Tom has some in Pittsburgh), then again clean threads, Blue Loctite, proper torque should get you home. Stop and check them every hour or so.

I'd be worried if you don't have the drive pins, and maybe consider not driving it home until you do. The drive pins are the primary means of torque transmission, the CV bolts are there to keep it together.

As a related aside, I run the 914Rubber drilled bolts with safety wire on both my street car and racer. I've lost too many of those CV Bolts in prior versions of Rabbits, 914s, and the like. Technically they should work just fine - and usually do - when threads are clean and they're torqued properly, but the safety wire is my Binky.

Let me know if I can get you some assistance.

Greg Amy
860-301-9042 cell

@GregAmy

Thanks Greg. I didn't check for the pins last night but the explosion happened in the driveway and not on the highway so I'm hoping the pins are still on the CV. Will check that later. I contacted Tom and he is going to take a drive and bring the schnor washers, gasket, and a 12-point socket. I have a socket but best to double up at this point.
Montreal914
As always, nice to see our community come together helping one of ours in a situation like this! smilie_pokal.gif

Good luck, I am sure you will make it and this adventure will make this event memorable! driving.gif

Following! popcorn[1].gif

Spoke
Only one drive pin in the CV. The other is lost. Anyone have an extra to send to me? I'll pay all expedited shipping.
GregAmy
Any chance Tom @Olympic 914 has a spare axle hanging about you can steal one from? You can always send him a replacement pin. I'm pretty confident inner and outer use the same pin (it's the same CV joint).

I've got spare CVs here in CT with pins. I also have used bolts, schnorr washers, and the crescent drive plates (you still have those? Edit: I see from the photo you do still have those.) and some new gaskets. But that's over here in CT, won't help you today...text me if I can help.
gereed75
I should be able to get a couple out of the trans I have. It is at my shop. Could get it this afternoon if you are going to the waterfront show tonight. Can definitely get it tomorrow and bring it to the southside show.

Let me know
Spoke
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jul 19 2022, 08:25 AM) *

Spoke. I have a bunch of the bolts. Could also get a flange off of a spare trans that I have.

Text me at 412 eight four eight 9085 if I can help. I am going to the car show at the waterfront tonight. Meet there??

@gereed75

Thanks for the offer. I think I have everything now. Tom stopped by and dropped off washers, a pin, gasket, socket. I'm going to run to the VW dealer and get some CV bolts. I'll keep your offer in mind.

I did get the flange clear of the bolt ends. Both spun out freely. Not sure if the threads have sustained any damage though. Won't know until I try some bolts so I still may have to take you up on the flange offer.
Spoke
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 19 2022, 11:21 AM) *

Any chance Tom @Olympic 914 has a spare axle hanging about you can steal one from? You can always send him a replacement pin. I'm pretty confident inner and outer use the same pin (it's the same CV joint).

I've got spare CVs here in CT with pins. I also have used bolts, schnorr washers, and the crescent drive plates (you still have those? Edit: I see from the photo you do still have those.) and some new gaskets. But that's over here in CT, won't help you today...text me if I can help.

@GregAmy

Yes, Tom and his wife stopped by in his Cayman. I got a drive pin, schnor washers, a gasket, and socket. Am going to pick up some bolts from the VW dealer in a bit. I should have everything I need at this point but you never know what is around the next corner.

Tom's Cayman:

Click to view attachment
Dion
Tom to the rescue! beerchug.gif Good luck Jerry, hope the flange is salvageable.
I had that happen to me twice :-/ Flange was good ,luckily both times.
Good luck, stay hydrated in this heat on that “roadside” repair.
gereed75
Glad Spoke is up and running. Are you guys going to the shows tonight and tomorrow??

Spoke Tom and anyone else in town - please stop by my tail gate in the paddock/pit area. Anytime Saturday or Sunday. Look for my white and yellow Datsun 510 or text/call me at the number listed in this thread earlier.

Lots of 914’s in the races. Hope to see some of you there.
gereed75
Just let me know.
Spoke
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jul 19 2022, 01:44 PM) *

Glad Spoke is up and running. Are you guys going to the shows tonight and tomorrow??

Spoke Tom and anyone else in town - please stop by my tail gate in the paddock/pit area. Anytime Saturday or Sunday. Look for my white and yellow Datsun 510 or text/call me at the number listed in this thread earlier.

Lots of 914’s in the races. Hope to see some of you there.

@gereed75

Would love to stop by on Saturday. Where is the paddock from the Porsche Corral? Is it walking distance?
Spoke
Anyone have the torque requirement for these CV bolts? I have my manual but haven't found it yet.
sportlicherFahrer
31 ft/lbs
914e
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 19 2022, 11:51 AM) *

Anyone have the torque requirement for these CV bolts? I have my manual but haven't found it yet.

Recheck the torque after you drive it some. The gaskets seem to compress after use or time.
brant
I switched from CV gaskets to RTV about 20 years ago
and the CV bolts... stopped coming loose

I have always used new schnor washers... back when I ran gaskets, and after i stopped running gaskets.

the street car rarely loosened up
but the race car did frequently with more torque/rpm/heat

Spoke
How do I drive off the drive pins on a free standing CV? I've vice gripped the pin and tapped on the vice grip but nothing. Hopefully I don't need to put this in a vice as I don't have one here. I might end up using this entire 1/2 shaft.

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 19 2022, 04:09 PM) *

How do I drive off the drive pins on a free standing CV?

A drift and hammer from the backside. It's open but there's a lip inside where the pin bottoms out on.

If you put teeth marks where the vicegrips/pliers were, make sure you use some sandpaper or a file to knock those smooth. Otherwise it'll be a bitch to slip in and out of the trans flange holes.
Spoke
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 19 2022, 04:12 PM) *

A drift and hammer from the backside. It's open but there's a lip inside where the pin bottoms out on.

If you put teeth marks where the vicegrips/pliers were, make sure you use some sandpaper or a file to knock those smooth. Otherwise it'll be a bitch to slip in and out of the trans flange holes.

Boom! Tapped right out and shot across the garage. Tapped into the CV on the car. Thank you! Cleaning and assembly continues.....
gereed75
The paddock area is across the park on Hobart/ Prospect. There is a shuttle bus that takes you from the Main Street in front of Porsche parking over to Hobart. 10 minute ride.

Did not count exactly but there are 6 or 8 914’s entered in the races. Lots of other cool vintage race cars.

The main shows are great and the race cars paddock area pretty cool too and completely open to spectators.
Spoke
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 19 2022, 04:25 PM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 19 2022, 04:12 PM) *

Boom! Tapped right out and shot across the garage. Tapped into the CV on the car. Thank you! Cleaning and assembly continues.....

sanded the roll pin although not much grooves. Thanks!
Spoke
All assembly done. Woohoo! Although I won't celebrate until I make it home next week. I could swear my VW/Porsche let out a sigh of relief that I put in genuine VW bolts. lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment
Spoke
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 19 2022, 10:36 AM) *

As always, nice to see our community come together helping one of ours in a situation like this! smilie_pokal.gif

Good luck, I am sure you will make it and this adventure will make this event memorable! driving.gif

Following! popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

I've watched the 914world come together before to help others out. This is the first time I've really leaned on the world to help me. Hopefully I can repay the kindness and concern in the future. Thank you all!

beerchug.gif

It's Victory Golden Monkey time!!!!!
930cabman
All is well that ends well, glad you got her going piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Olympic 914
driving.gif aktion035.gif
nivekdodge
Sorry
I didn't get on over the last couple days to see this. Are you all good?
Kevin
Montreal914
Outstanding!!! piratenanner.gif

Now you can drive to the event with pride! driving.gif sunglasses.gif

Well done!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.