Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Bastardization Awards
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Conrad192
I thought it would be interesting (i.e. morbid curiosity) to see of the horrific work we encounter from the previous owner. The first "Bastardization Award" WTF.gif goes to whoever created this muffler assembly in West Texas.
Mikey914
Hey at least you could unbolt this one, but yes, there is some really "CUSTOM" work out there.
nathanxnathan
Working on fixing this currently

Click to view attachment
Steve
QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Jul 19 2022, 12:55 PM) *

Click to view attachment

blink.gif You can get some big speakers in there!!
NARP74
These were holding on my fog lights, not very well!
Click to view attachment
NARP74
I just added this one in another thread, for the CHT gauge.
Click to view attachment
rjames
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jul 19 2022, 01:12 PM) *

I just added this one in another thread, for the CHT gauge.

av-943.gif blink.gif
rhodyguy
Is that a nyloc nut on the exhaust stud?
Puebloswatcop
This should be a section unto itself where we can all post bastardization pics....lol. I think the Bastardization page has a good ring to it.
930cabman
There has been a couple DAPO threads, I am not sure where they are or how to find them, but there are some classic "repairs" out there
emerygt350
At least my bastardizations are easily removed. Because every owner will somebay be a PO

Click to view attachment
Retroracer
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 19 2022, 05:48 PM) *

At least my bastardizations are easily removed. Because every owner will somebay be a PO

Click to view attachment

Clearly, you have a"can do" attitude.

- Tony
RJMII
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 19 2022, 06:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment

looks better than how the tilty wheel cars have them.
krazykonrad
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 19 2022, 04:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That one takes the cake!
mskala
My own ridiculousness. Really couldn't find my oil leak and
wasn't taking any chances.

Click to view attachment
windforfun
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 19 2022, 05:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Yes, but not a DAPO.
Montreal914
QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Jul 19 2022, 12:55 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Yeah, I feel you pain... rolleyes.gif

I had a similar situation, 3 speakers, power door lock... rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

Now I have this patch work smile.gif

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mskala @ Jul 19 2022, 07:36 PM) *

My own ridiculousness. Really couldn't find my oil leak and
wasn't taking any chances.

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
nathanxnathan
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 19 2022, 07:39 PM) *

Yeah, I feel you pain... rolleyes.gif

I had a similar situation, 3 speakers, power door lock... rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

Now I have this patch work smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Lol you beat me there! That is crazy biggrin.gif
wonkipop
sorry, but these are all pissweak.

a while back someone here posted a gearbox hung from a chain at the back end.

you are going to be hard pressed to beat that duelin' banjos bit of engineering.

good luck. beer.gif

don't get sucked in by emorygt350.
he is a ford racing department engineer.
that tin can window dressing is disguising a high performance item he is not discussing.
Garland
While looking for the reason for a creeking noise in the rear, I found that the trunk pan was not replaced! But “retreaded” by the PO.
Also never seen weld material, built up this thick!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
See the rest in the link below, for the full build.
double-a
the PO's idea of a muffler repair. i replaced this mess with a Triad biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
emerygt350
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 20 2022, 05:08 AM) *

sorry, but these are all pissweak.

a while back someone here posted a gearbox hung from a chain at the back end.

you are going to be hard pressed to beat that duelin' banjos bit of engineering.

good luck. beer.gif

don't get sucked in by emorygt350.
he is a ford racing department engineer.
that tin can window dressing is disguising a high performance item he is not discussing.

My hot air can't be beat.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Garland @ Jul 20 2022, 11:27 AM) *

While looking for the reason for a creeking noise in the rear, I found that the trunk pan was not replaced! But “retreaded” by the PO.
Also never seen weld material, built up this thick!
See the rest in the link below, for the full build.

Original rear shocks !
AvalonFal
Posted this a while back. Found these fuel lines under my gas tank after buying my '74 2.0L. Not a PO "repair", but certainly a "bastardization" and a dangerous one. You gotta look under that tank!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JamesM
Click to view attachment
East coaster
DAPO firewall patch……..I knew these sqeegies were for body work, but apparently I’ve been using them all wrong! This was glued over the rust hole with gobs of seam sealer…..ugh!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Vysoc
The can over the exhaust reminds me of coming home from college for Christmas in 1982.
I had a first generation VW Rabbit 1976, I was driving from Texas to Colorado to pick up my brother on the way home to Iowa. My exhaust pipe blew out and after looking at the problem at a rest stop, I had two SS Clamps, I dug a thick can out of the trash, cut it and wrapped the can over the hole and tightened down the clamps. We made it all the way to Iowa where we could fix it properly. In this case I was 19 years old and did not have two nickels to rub together so you have to improvise. They used thick metal back then, how that can took the heat I will never know?

The things we used to do to get by.
Vysoc flag.gif
DaveB

"a while back someone here posted a gearbox hung from a chain at the back end."

@wonkipop That's my car. Plus it had the 5 Gallon gas can in place of the gas tank and was hot wired.

The PO decided the best way to repair the parking brake was to use this option :

Click to view attachment

Today I was cutting out the heat transfer tubes. Started with the drive side. This is what the rivets from the parking brake look like from inside the rocker panel:

Click to view attachment

Once I got the heat transfer tube, I flipped it over and they didn't seem to understand drill depth for the rivet holes.

Click to view attachment

Looked inside the heat transfer tube and found they drilled through the outer tube, insulation and drilled through into the inter aluminum pipe:

Click to view attachment

I don't know if this is a bastardization or Darwin award

DaveB
wonkipop
@DaveB

you can just keep pulling out ace cards on anyone who tries to top you!

handbrake fix a pre-emptive strike on rust prevention?

i think they should engrave your trophy immediately.

beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
This won't win any awards but thought I'd dig it out of my build thread. Nothing like a little fiberglass to seal up a floor pan.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
The late Charlie Davis did this to his transmission to fix a gear oil leak:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It was not a permanent fix. He was trying to make a tour down to the Texas hill country with us.

Clay
930cabman
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Jul 23 2022, 10:49 AM) *

The can over the exhaust reminds me of coming home from college for Christmas in 1982.
I had a first generation VW Rabbit 1976, I was driving from Texas to Colorado to pick up my brother on the way home to Iowa. My exhaust pipe blew out and after looking at the problem at a rest stop, I had two SS Clamps, I dug a thick can out of the trash, cut it and wrapped the can over the hole and tightened down the clamps. We made it all the way to Iowa where we could fix it properly. In this case I was 19 years old and did not have two nickels to rub together so you have to improvise. They used thick metal back then, how that can took the heat I will never know?

The things we used to do to get by.
Vysoc flag.gif

Can we still use the same (similar) things? even at an advanced age?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.