Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
Hey everyone,

For those of you who are on the east coast, I really wish I could have made it to the gathering, but I had just moved, and I am in the process of having the car re-sprayed, so it was just bad timing.

I am in the process of building a 2056 from my stock 1.7 case. I just have a few questions, and as many times I have searched this, I just did not get a concrete answer so here I am. Also, sorry for the length of this post.

In regard to the engine build:

- which pistons should I use? AA, Keith Black, or JE?
- Should I stick with the FI, or switch to carbs? What are the pros/cons? I realize that switching to carbs allows a more aggressive cam, but how much of a difference would it make performance wise?
- For heads, 2.0 heads have a reputation for cracking, so I was going to use 1.8's with 44x38 valves. Thoughts? Is it worth it to upgrade to the 911 swivel feet?
- For my exhaust I'll be using my MSDS header with a spintech muffler.

lastly, the car is being painted in the original Adriatic Blue. I'll definitely share photos once it's completely finished!

Thanks everyone!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
for a 96 mm big bore, (AA pistons work just fine) you can buy new 1.8 heads and keep the fuel injection, and if you do not want heat MSDS headers and the supertrap muffler work GREAT together and sound great as well

QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Jul 22 2022, 09:33 AM) *

Hey everyone,

For those of you who are on the east coast, I really wish I could have made it to the gathering, but I had just moved, and I am in the process of having the car re-sprayed, so it was just bad timing.

I am in the process of building a 2056 from my stock 1.7 case. I just have a few questions, and as many times I have searched this, I just did not get a concrete answer so here I am. Also, sorry for the length of this post.

- Should I stick with the FI, or switch to carbs? What are the pros/cons? I realize that switching to carbs allows a more aggressive cam, but how much of a difference would it make performance wise?
- For heads, 2.0 heads have a reputation for cracking, so I was going to use 1.8's with 44x38 valves. Thoughts? Is it worth it to upgrade to the 911 swivel feet?

lastly, the car is being painted in the original Adriatic Blue. I'll definitely share photos once it's completely finished!

Thanks everyone!

rfinegan
1.8 heads work great for this combo and can save you a little bit and the valve sizes are pretty good for the stockish cams.

DJet, LJet, and 40/IDF works well too depending on what you already have and the Camshaft selection.

Piston/Cylider combos are pretty good now a days, My build was trouble Free with KB96 and matched EMW cylinders /rings

Camshaft selection is Key! and will have the greatest impact on performance and where the power will be made. ALSO what induction you can use...CHOOSE WISELY based on what you intended use will be.

Best of luck with you build and query the "World" for advice as you proceed and during your build!
-Robert

QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Jul 22 2022, 12:33 PM) *

Hey everyone,

Thanks everyone!

BeatNavy
Hey Steve,

I agree with Robert's thoughts. I'm not sure there is a huge difference between in P&C's now days. My two cents:

1. What are your objectives? Pure HP or drivability / reliability? Idle stability? Build cost? Engine longevity? Regular vs. premium gas? Etc. These aren't all mutually exclusive, but there are compromises sometimes that help drive decisions. I greatly prefer FI to carbs, for several reasons, so that limits my cam selection and compression ratio target.

2. Speaking of CR: make sure you have a target CR in mind before you start purchasing parts or start doing any machine work.

3. Do have your case checked by machine shop, particularly for bore alignment and drooping spigots.

4. Make a spreadsheet to start tracking part options, costs, etc.

5. Get Jake's video and the Wilson book.

6. Mayve talk to Len at HAM about head options. Those AA ones are pretty nice, especially with the ceramic coating.

7. Take your time and ask questions.

Also, you're now right up the road from me. I have some parts/tools that might be helpful at some point, including the book/videos.

Who's painting your car??
GeorgeKopf
I have been thinking about what to do with my engine and have been seriously considering this as an alternative to carbs or the stock EFI.
http://www.sdsefi.com/specific.html

Also, if you're not sticking with the stock EFI then why stop at 2056? From what I have read, it seems that 2270 is as big as you can go without compromising longevity and reliability.

I also found these kits which, just by their ingredients, provide a great deal of information.
https://lnengineering.com/type-4-store/engine-kits.html

Good Luck.

George
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 22 2022, 01:10 PM) *

Hey Steve,

I agree with Robert's thoughts. I'm not sure there is a huge difference between in P&C's now days. My two cents:

1. What are your objectives? Pure HP or drivability / reliability? Idle stability? Build cost? Engine longevity? Regular vs. premium gas? Etc. These aren't all mutually exclusive, but there are compromises sometimes that help drive decisions. I greatly prefer FI to carbs, for several reasons, so that limits my cam selection and compression ratio target.

2. Speaking of CR: make sure you have a target CR in mind before you start purchasing parts or start doing any machine work.

3. Do have your case checked by machine shop, particularly for bore alignment and drooping spigots.

6. Mayve talk to Len at HAM about head options. Those AA ones are pretty nice, especially with the ceramic coating.

Also, you're now right up the road from me. I have some parts/tools that might be helpful at some point, including the book/videos.

You're in Easton right? I'd definitely be interested in taking a field trip to see your shop. A friend of mine did all the body work/rust repair and painting for free; I just had to pay for materials. It looks amazing.

I've made a spreadsheet, I just wasn't sure about the differences between the different kinds of pistons, FI vs. Carbs, etc.. Here's a photo of the car before and after paint.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Jul 22 2022, 01:28 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 22 2022, 01:10 PM) *

Hey Steve,

You're in Easton right? I'd definitely be interested in taking a field trip to see your shop. A friend of mine did all the body work/rust repair and painting for free; I just had to pay for materials. It looks amazing.

I've made a spreadsheet, I just wasn't sure about the differences between the different kinds of pistons, FI vs. Carbs, etc.. Here's a photo of the car before and after paint.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

That's with two coats of base / clear coat. It still needs to be polished and waxed to get the orange peel out.
BeatNavy

Nice!! Does your friend want more work? Seriously, I've been meaning to paint my car but not sure when I'll get to it....

Yeah man, I'm in Easton. I'll PM you my contact info.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 22 2022, 01:32 PM) *

Nice!! Does your friend want more work? Seriously, I've been meaning to paint my car but not sure when I'll get to it....

Yeah man, I'm in Easton. I'll PM you my contact info.

I'll ask him. I'm not sure if you'd get the same price.. haha.. Also, as you can see in the pics, it wasn't a full on restoration. We didn't remove the glass or seats or any of the chrome, he just taped over it.
TheCabinetmaker
Are you using the 1.7 crank?
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Jul 22 2022, 03:29 PM) *

Are you using the 1.7 crank?

No, I have a 2.0 case with a crank and rods that I plan on using as long as they're usable. If not, I'll just purchase new ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.