Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 1.8 engine wiring question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lolkema
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a '74 1.8 with the original L-Jetronic fuel injection. It runs fine but there are two strange things going on with the engine wiring. On the front passenger side of the engine, near the battery tray, there are three wires that have been disconnected. I don't see anything that I can connect it to. Does anyone have a clue where these should go?
Click to view attachment

The other question I have is regarding some wiring on the relay board. There is a yellow wire coming from the wire harness that connects to the empty connector slot on the rear drivers side part of the relay board. Is that supposed to go there? And secondly, a previous owner attached a switch that connects the upper right pin to the lower left pin (where the yellow wire is placed) Does anyone have an idea what this would be used for?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thanks in advance for the help!
JeffBowlsby
The three wires do not connect to anything - they are for an altitude compensation device that no one has ever seen.

The yellow wire is connected correctly.

A door bell button....really...how ghetto is that? Who knows what that could possbly do...I don't. The upper right terminal is switch power. the lower left completed teh cicuit for the cold start ground if I remember correctly, but I probably dont.

Welcome to 914world!
friethmiller
That small green wire on the multi-pin connector is correct. The yellow wire that goes over to the FI connection on the relay board is not. This appears to be a hack to get the fuel pump to work. I’m assuming this has carbs now. There’s a much safer way to do this. You route that connection (yellow wire w/ the red connector) from that position on the FI connector on the relay board to the ground on the body just below the relay board. There’s a separate discussion on this topic - but don’t have the link at the moment. I’m sure others can chime in.
JeffBowlsby
I'm so busted...but I was close! Thanks Fred.

This is how the yellow wire needs to be connected.
ejm
Those two rear terminals are connected together so actually you are both right.
friethmiller
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 22 2022, 03:10 PM) *

I'm so busted...but I was close! Thanks Fred.

This is how the yellow wire needs to be connected.

Ha! Not my intention. Hell, between the two of us he might actually get half of what we’re trying to say. w00t.gif
lolkema
Thank you all for the quick replies, this clarifies a lot! This is my 4th 914 after having owned 3 two liters and the L-Jetronic is quite different from the D-Jetronic. I have never seen the disconnected wires for the altitude device on any of my previously owned 914's, or was that only on the 1.8?

914World = Great community! smilie_pokal.gif
lolkema
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jul 22 2022, 11:52 AM) *

I’m assuming this has carbs now.

No, it still has the original FI (luckily, I like the FI way better than carbs, that is, if it is working properly biggrin.gif )
friethmiller
QUOTE(lolkema @ Jul 22 2022, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jul 22 2022, 11:52 AM) *

I’m assuming this has carbs now.

No, it still has the original FI (luckily, I like the FI way better than carbs, that is, if it is working properly biggrin.gif )

Yes, sorry about that. I missed it when I was looking at all your cool photos! biggrin.gif Jeff is correct (of course) if running FI. Be thankful to have FI. My 1.8L had a single carb with all the FI goodies removed. At that point, it's almost price prohibitive to go back - ended up with dual Webers.
wonkipop
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jul 22 2022, 01:52 PM) *

That small green wire on the multi-pin connector is correct. The yellow wire that goes over to the FI connection on the relay board is not. This appears to be a hack to get the fuel pump to work. I’m assuming this has carbs now. There’s a much safer way to do this. You route that connection (yellow wire w/ the red connector) from that position on the FI connector on the relay board to the ground on the body just below the relay board. There’s a separate discussion on this topic - but don’t have the link at the moment. I’m sure others can chime in.

yes, friethmiller probably right.

@lolkema
fuel pump on stock 1.8 only runs when you crank the ignition and after that only when the engine is running.
not on all the time ignition is on like D jet cars.

an old thread here perhaps of use.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;#entry717817
@clayperrine has things to say - he would know.
often if the fuel pump wiring has been hacked its because the air flow meter is not turning the fuel pump on anymore like it should.

far as i know only the L jets had a need for altitude compensators.
fitted as a option. factory manual says for cars that operate most of the time at altitude higher than 1000 metres. (approx 3000 ft).
i think d jet was self compensating. d jet guys would know.
i used to look at those white wires to nowhere 30 years ago and wonder wtf they were for. biggrin.gif then i got hold of a factory manual at some point and had the aha moment.

good stuff, another L Jet preserved. beerchug.gif

if you have time we have been doing a bit of L jet research for the last 6 months.
has your car still got an emissions sticker on the side wall just above that relay board?
if so what does it say.
friethmiller
@wonkipop , I have an image of my original sticker on my 1.8. Do you have a link to that 1.8 thread so I can post it?
wonkipop
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jul 22 2022, 06:54 PM) *

@wonkipop , I have an image of my original sticker on my 1.8. Do you have a link to that 1.8 thread so I can post it?

bueady maaaate. biggrin.gif
a willing volunteer.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...57407&st=80

while you are at it.
is there still one of those white paint numbers stencilled on your engine tin.
its either hidden behind the fan heater hose on lhs on or the rhs.
if so. what number is it. beerchug.gif
lolkema
[quote name='wonkipop' date='Jul 22 2022, 03:08 PM' post='3017269']
[quote name='friethmiller' post='3017219' date='Jul 22 2022, 01:52 PM']

if you have time we have been doing a bit of L jet research for the last 6 months.
has your car still got an emissions sticker on the side wall just above that relay board?
if so what does it say.
[/quote]

I just checked and there is no emissions sticker on my car.
wonkipop
[quote name='lolkema' date='Jul 22 2022, 09:22 PM' post='3017354']
[quote name='wonkipop' date='Jul 22 2022, 03:08 PM' post='3017269']
[quote name='friethmiller' post='3017219' date='Jul 22 2022, 01:52 PM']

if so what does it say.
[/quote]

I just checked and there is no emissions sticker on my car.
[/quote]

no worries
thanks for looking beerchug.gif

if its still got a stencil paint number (3 numbers) on the engine tin can probably tell you what it once was. either a EC-A (cal car) or EC-B (49 state). very subtle difference. they didn't hook up the distributor vac advance to the throttle body on the cal cars. nothing else apart from that on the original engines.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.