Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front hood latch release emergency/alternative pull
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
piscean914
- hey guys - i'm at the 2022 wcr - my front latch slipped and i think i adjusted it correctly, but it really bugs me so far from home

- is there an emergency/alternative pull to release the front trunk latch if the cable release does not work?

- i can't see any access points ('76 914) on the driver side to run some sort of cable attached to the front latch

any answers (with images) would be great

thanks!
mgphoto
Behind the bumper is a small hole used to access the latch mechanism when the cable fails.
worn
QUOTE(piscean914 @ Jul 22 2022, 03:56 PM) *

- hey guys - i'm at the 2022 wcr - my front latch slipped and i think i adjusted it correctly, but it really bugs me so far from home

- is there an emergency/alternative pull to release the front trunk latch if the cable release does not work?

- i can't see any access points ('76 914) on the driver side to run some sort of cable attached to the front latch

thanks!

I will try to look for you tomorrow. Have had this problem too and might be able to help.
Warren
porschetub
QUOTE(worn @ Jul 23 2022, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(piscean914 @ Jul 22 2022, 03:56 PM) *

thanks!

I will try to look for you tomorrow. Have had this problem too and might be able to help.
Warren

Bumper off job ,not sure about about the later fatboy bumpers ?.
bdstone914
Before you remove the bumper have someone push down on the center of the hood while you pull the latch.

The late bumpers are held on with two 19mm haed bolts that are accessed from the bottom. You have to unhook the lips of the civer on the fender.
worn
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 23 2022, 08:48 AM) *

Before you remove the bumper have someone push down on the center of the hood while you pull the latch.

The late bumpers are held on with two 19mm haed bolts that are accessed from the bottom. You have to unhook the lips of the civer on the fender.

right.
wonkipop
QUOTE(piscean914 @ Jul 22 2022, 04:56 PM) *

thanks!

opposite side of the world.
had the same problem today (for first time in 34 years). biggrin.gif
went to fill up with gas. no go on the front trunk.

mine is a 74.
had the front bumper off in a hour.
(work slowed by carefully soaking the bolts in WD 40 and working them a little bit).
the bumper had probably never been off.
bumper on a 74 is a 10 minute job with nice condition bolts.
fortunately the bolts freed (job could turn into a bit more of nightmare with sheared bolts. would not stop you getting bumper off but would have dragged out getting it back on.
dunno about a 76.

i tried the old push down trick with my mate across the road lending a hand.
no go.

turned out my cable was stretched after all this time.
i have been feeling it get progressively worse for the 2 years i have been back on the road. just been ignoring it, until i couldn't

adjusted it and its working good again.
lubed the hell out of it while i was in there.

i don't think there is a workaround unless you rigged up a second cable somehow.
like a custom job. hidden behind the valence maybe with a little handle. be a bit of trouble to do. not sure how you would attach that cable.

SirAndy
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 23 2022, 11:56 PM) *
i don't think there is a workaround unless you rigged up a second cable somehow.

Drill a hole in the bumper in the correct spot and cover it up with one of them round chrome bumper plugs.
idea.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 24 2022, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 23 2022, 11:56 PM) *

Drill a hole in the bumper in the correct spot and cover it up with one of them round chrome bumper plugs.
idea.gif

probably hide it behind the number plate too. smile.gif
would have to lose the little rubber plug that keeps moisture out. sad.gif

problem with mine was white sheath gave up the ghost at the top end where it goes into the firewall tube. little stopper piece cracked and slid off. can't complain, german plastics tech lasted 48 years. aktion035.gif

temporary repair while i send off to the USA for a spare cable and sheath.
seems to work. got the correct tension back, trunk opens like a charm.

Click to view attachment
piscean914
thanks for these responses - so far the adjustment held up on the remaining 500+ miles in near 100 degree weather - i like the suggestion for drilling a hole in the front bumper, but i'm not sure on a 76 - i will also see which tools are needed for the front bumper removal, and i will not leave those tools in the front trunk! i have a few other ideas for an emergency pull - i'll post when i have completed solution
mepstein
If you get the stock system working, lube the latch mechanism, cable and cable pull handle, it will be fine. Lack of lubrication causes excess tension on the cable and causes it to slip in the small set screw. Then there is too much slack to release the latch. Same with the engine release. Door pull latch and window winder have the same issue. Mechanism dries out and increased pressure is needed. Door flap breaks off and window mechanism bends.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.