Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What distributor should I use for modified engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pistonboy
I have just obtained a modified engine from someone who lost interest in their project and sold the engine to me.
It has never been started.
It will be used mostly for casual driving in the country.

It has:
82 mm stroke
103 mm bore
cam for carbs
enlarged valves

I will use a 38/38 parallel carb for the first 1,000 miles to guarantee all cylinders are receiving equal fuel/air charge.
After 1,000 miles, I will change to 44IDF carbs (I was told 48IDF carbs could work).

But, I have not chosen a distributor. I do not want the modern computer controlled distributors. I would prefer one of the older and simpler SVDA designs of of VW or Bosch.

Since my driving is moderate with occasional brisk accelerations, my demands on the engine are simple. I suspect more than one distributor will work. Any suggestions?

My question is "What distributors would be good to use?"

Thank you.
GregAmy
Not clear what you mean by "no computer controlled distributor" - are you insisting on points and condensor? - but the self-contained 123 disty is your bird.

If that's not what you want...well, then pick one, bro. Suggest you research which curve you want, because others are fixed and not change-able like the 123.

You'll want to really look into that, given it's apparently a 2.7L 4-banger (or is it a 4L 6-banger?)

GA
pistonboy
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 22 2022, 05:34 PM) *

Not clear what you mean by "no computer controlled distributor" - are you insisting on points and condensor? - but the self-contained 123 disty is your bird.

If that's not what you want...well, then pick one, bro. Suggest you research which curve you want, because others are fixed and not change-able like the 123.

You'll want to really look into that, given it's apparently a 2.7L 4-banger (or is it a 4L 6-banger?)

GA

Thanks for replying.

No, I do not want points and condenser, but I can add a Pertronix module to get that.
I was thinking of the 123 Distributor when I said "no computer controlled distributor"

As I see it, the problem is knowing what curve to use. When an engine is this modified, I don't think previous curves from previous distributors apply anymore. To truly know what curve it should have, would require experienced engineers from factories with expensive test equipment, and lots of testing. I don't have that. I suspect a moderate, nonextreme curve would be best. This would come from a moderate, nonextreme distributor. This is what I am seeking from the folks on this forum.
SO.O.C914er
I run a 123 Dizzy in my 2056 duel 40s wouldn’t swap for anything. Except a new 2022 model. av-943.gif
jdamiano
Not adjustable but it would do well. Those are big cylinders and I never ran anything that big but this has a generic curve that works well with a 82 stroke motor. I would get the matching coil.

https://www.amazon.com/Pertronix-D186604-Fl...88604&psc=1
IronHillRestorations
As far as a factory part, a 1.8 distributor is a good choice.
JamesM
QUOTE(pistonboy @ Jul 22 2022, 04:49 PM) *

I was thinking of the 123 Distributor when I said "no computer controlled distributor"

As I see it, the problem is knowing what curve to use. When an engine is this modified, I don't think previous curves from previous distributors apply anymore. To truly know what curve it should have, would require experienced engineers from factories with expensive test equipment, and lots of testing. I don't have that. I suspect a moderate, nonextreme curve would be best. This would come from a moderate, nonextreme distributor. This is what I am seeking from the folks on this forum.

Im concerned you have a fundamental misunderstanding of something here.

1. The only way to know what curve will be best on a completely custom motor is to throw it on a dyno, so knowing what curve will work best is a complete unknown either way. Or you could try different curves and see what is best, but the only way to try multiple curves would be to use a programable distributor (or buy multiple distributors and keep swapping them).

2. The 123 distributor can be setup to match ANY curve of any mechanical distributor out there (this is documented for pretty much every VW dizzy you would want to run) in addition to being fully programable, and if you were to tune it on a dyno would be the only way to completely optimize your timing.

I can think of no good reason to go with a mechanical distributor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.