Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are these Bosch starters trash or cores?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
Acquired a box of 914 parts and there were two Bosch starters (good bit of rust on housing).

Are these of any value as cores for rebuilding or should they be scrapped/recycled?

Click to view attachment
mepstein
I bring a couple cores with me to my rebuilder and tell him to use whatever will work and throw out the ones that don’t. So anything can work as a core but you don’t really know until you open them up. Save them if you want to have cores, give them away (at the next swap or whatever) if you don’t need them. Just my opinion beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
cores!!!!! Bosch needs them!!!!!
bbrock
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 23 2022, 09:36 AM) *

How does one get cores to them? I have several starter and alternator cores I'd like to unload, but not willing to pay shipping. Ideally, I'd like to get a few $ for them given that parts houses add up to $90 core charges when buying a reman.

Only local place I'm aware of is a recycler that will just melt them down for the metals.
914werke
Miss the days where Ron @SLITS would swing by & PU a crate of starters & alternators for refurb on his way up/down the coast.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 23 2022, 09:48 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 23 2022, 09:36 AM) *

How does one get cores to them? I have several starter and alternator cores I'd like to unload, but not willing to pay shipping. Ideally, I'd like to get a few $ for them given that parts houses add up to $90 core charges when buying a reman.

Only local place I'm aware of is a recycler that will just melt them down for the metals.

George, how does one arrange cores to Bosch?
windforfun
Why in the hell would Bosch want them?
nathanxnathan
Have you tested them to see if they work? You never know, you might need spares.
TheCabinetmaker
Screw giving them to Bosch. Take them to a local rebuilder have them rebuilt to stock, or he can bump them up to 80 or 100 amps
I never pay more than about 75.00
930cabman
QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Jul 24 2022, 01:14 AM) *

Have you tested them to see if they work? You never know, you might need spares.

Exactly. It's possible they work just fine

OR, find a local rebuilder, usually around $100. for a rebuild. Never know when you will need a spare
wonkipop
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 23 2022, 08:45 PM) *

in europe they probably would.
though whether they rebuild ones of that vintage not sure. probably not.

no bosch Xchange program here (aus) for stuff of that vintage as far as i know.
so i think you are right. bosch (usa) would likely not be interested.

i see in photos that one of them is already a bosch reman unit from days when they did it.

would not throw them out. these things get harder and harder to get.
cores are useful to friendly rebuilders who are still around.
bbrock
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 24 2022, 05:09 PM) *

i see in photos that one of them is already a bosch reman unit from days when they did it.

A lot of our major FLAPS offer Bosch remanufactured starters and alternators so they must still be doing it. My problem is there are no rebuilders local to me and these things have been occupying precious storage space for several decades now. I've hung onto them all this time for all the reasons people have posted here, but I need the shelf space.
wonkipop
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 24 2022, 05:24 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 24 2022, 05:09 PM) *

A lot of our major FLAPS offer Bosch remanufactured starters and alternators so they must still be doing it. My problem is there are no rebuilders local to me and these things have been occupying precious storage space for several decades now. I've hung onto them all this time for all the reasons people have posted here, but I need the shelf space.

bosch would have a USA main office.
try looking up on web for email address and send an inquiry.
see what they say.

i guess if you have to pay to send to them its a bit of no brainer.
bin job.

if they were fuel pumps i'd take them off your hands and pay the postage. smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.