Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strut powder coating question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
Preparing 911 struts for painting……..
Have them stripped to bare metal but have yet to locate a vendor.
Seems like I have heard of issues but wanted to check with members on caveats.
I know I need to protect spindles but not sure what kind of masking to use.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
mepstein
They sell a special tape that you can wrap around the spindle and it resists the oven heat. You can probably just tell the powder coat people to mask it off and they should have the proper tape.
sixaddict
10-4…
Thanks Mark
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 24 2022, 09:45 PM) *

They sell a special tape that you can wrap around the spindle and it resists the oven heat. You can probably just tell the powder coat people to mask it off and they should have the proper tape.

agree.gif

My powder coat guy provides his own making material and/or silicone caps.

However, On struts, be sure to tell him not to powder coat the tie rod taper on the steering arm. In my case, I took the ball stud out of old worn tie rods and used that to fill the taper so that there was no possibility of getting powder coat into that critical taper.

Likewise, you'll want the strut gland nut threads protected, they are fine thread and are not easy to clean out. Again, used old gland nuts and just installed them loosely into the top of the strut to keep powder coat out of the threads.
@sixaddict
bdstone914
You also need to mask the holes for the ball joint and taper pin or through bolt.

@sixaddict
mepstein
The powder guy should have silicon plugs for all the threaded holes and openings. When I do it myself, the struts hang upside down and the gland nut threads on the top of the strut body barely get any powder on them. Not enough to make a difference.
sixaddict
Thanks guys…..good info.
sixaddict
So final question…….Is there a way to paint that will be durable.
Just thinking there may be a good option.
mepstein
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jul 25 2022, 10:01 PM) *

So final question…….Is there a way to paint that will be durable.
Just thinking there may be a good option.

2 part epoxy paint or cerikote. Cerikote is nice because it’s so thin, you can paint over threads.
I’ve powder coated some parts myself and just used a very light coat that didn’t clog up the threads. I did a pull for the front trunk and the tiny screw still fit in the threaded hole even with powder on it. Just enough to cover it in black satin while hardly adding in any thickness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.