Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear parking brake bellows
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StarBear
Finally bought two of the rubber bellows that fit onto the rear end of the parking brake cables, next to the calipers. The cables are in place but cannot figure out how on earth to get the bellows over the much larger end clasp - or even the smaller hole on the other end could ever get over the clasp (with the cables in place there isn’t much geometry to assist leverage).
Any tips or tricks to doing this?
See pics.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
nathanxnathan
I haven't tried this specifically, but I think if you soften the boot up with some glycerin, you'd be able to expand it enough to get it through without tearing the boot. I recently did similar pushing the side marker connectors/wires through their boots.
FJ1200
Needle nose inside. use them to stretch the boot and pop it on.
Mikey914
Lots of lube, It will stretch. The really hard ones are the ones at the firewall. That's why we started making the cables too. Not much more to just replace rather than fight them. biggrin.gif
nditiz1
Dont forget to install they cable first before the bellows. I dont think the cable will fit through the trailing arm with the bellows already installed.

Also, have a beer after. They were a real B&$%#.

Great kit though @Mikey914 914rubber
StarBear
Thanks, all! Great suggestions, especially needle pliers - I have really long thin ones.
Yes, got the two from 914Rubber. biggrin.gif
StarBear
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 26 2022, 04:46 PM) *

Dont forget to install they cable first before the bellows. I dont think the cable will fit through the trailing arm with the bellows already installed.

Also, have a beer after. They were a real B&$%#.

Great kit though @Mikey914 914rubber

Yep, cable already in for many years. Bellows rotted out decades ago.
GregAmy
I keep KY lube in my toolbox for lubing rubber...stuff.

(It's water-based so it doesn't attack rubber. If you're an adult and you didn't already know this, well...Happy Father's Day!)
StarBear
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 26 2022, 06:35 PM) *

I keep KY lube in my toolbox for lubing rubber...stuff.

(It's water-based so it doesn't attack rubber. If you're an adult and you didn't already know this, well...Happy Father's Day!)

av-943.gif
Mikey914
Make sure to bookmark this thread. Just in case the wife opens the glove box. She may have some questions. It may be easier for her to understand no honey it's for the car.

Not like the sitcom Man seeking woman

Season 2 Episode 3

Warning it a bit twisted
StarBear
She’s already asked why I keep glycerin in the garage. I told her it cleans off carb cleaner residue. dry.gif I don’t think she believed me but it did cut the questions…..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.