Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any fast way of removing the grill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyA
Does anyone have a fast way of removing the engine lid grill. Those speed nuts or whatever are a bear to get off.

thanks,
GregAmy
Are you trying to remove the grill from the lid, or the lid from the car?

If the former, those nuts are the way to do it, but it's easier with the lid off the car.

If the latter, you might see if someone has slotted the brackets to allow you to simply loosen the nuts and slide it off...
Front yard mechanic
It’s simple just wrap your finger around the front with your thumb in back , pull down and forward then soak them in a glass overnight
TonyA
Grill from the lid with the lid off the car. Took me an 1/2 hour for one speed nut last night and just got all the others off in 5 min this morning. I just pride them up a little and split them by squeezing with a channel lock. Now for the spring removal which i did before but forget.
jrmdir
Sounds like you got it covered but in case it helps others, I hit on this procedure after also spending way too much time on the first one. I happen to have an old style ice pick but other sharp tools should work.

Use the pick to push the rubber cover around a bit in order to find one of the slots between the spring fingers where they touch the post.

Drive the point into the slot at an angle with a tap or two of a hammer.

In almost every instance this resulted in the circlip breaking at the rim

Push the pick in further and one side of the circle lifts up and can be grabbed with pliers.

Ron
bdstone914
QUOTE(TonyA @ Jul 27 2022, 06:59 AM) *

Does anyone have a fast way of removing the engine lid grill. Those speed nuts or whatever are a bear to get off.

thanks,

@tonya

I use a pair of dykes with the tip against the grill to pinch the speed nuts and release the tension.
Rand
For future use, SLOT those mounting buggers so you don't have to remove the bolts all the way. Slot the tabs.
914Sixer
Use this to end your frustration. At ACE Hardware Put V under rubber grommet and pry up Click to open for better view.
TonyA
Yep I did finally use the tack pry gizmo but still needed to get something to get it out a little. Thanks for the advise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.