Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer and Instrument Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Conrad192
piratenanner.gif In my '76 "Rescue Porsche" both the speedometer and odometer were not working. I discovered a local shop here in Houston named United Speedometer, which is not to be confused with United Instruments (which apparently had horror stories). The owner, Albert has been doing instrument work for decades and has a very RARE magnetic calibration device which our 914's require. I believe he told me that the coupler from the mechanical cable to the instrument is a 9-pole magnet....so there are very few shops that can properly calibrate the speedometer.

After the rebuild, I compared the speedometer to the readings on my cell phone software that uses GPS data. It was dead on. So....I pulled the tachometer out of my '83 911 and dropped it off.....next will be the 964. I will eventually get everything functioning again.

I hope this "discovery" will be of use to my fellow teeners. first.gif
Optimusglen
QUOTE(Conrad192 @ Jul 27 2022, 10:19 AM) *

piratenanner.gif In my '76 "Rescue Porsche" both the speedometer and odometer were not working. I discovered a local shop here in Houston named United Speedometer, which is not to be confused with United Instruments (which apparently had horror stories). The owner, Albert has been doing instrument work for decades and has a very RARE magnetic calibration device which our 914's require. I believe he told me that the coupler from the mechanical cable to the instrument is a 9-pole magnet....so there are very few shops that can properly calibrate the speedometer.

After the rebuild, I compared the speedometer to the readings on my cell phone software that uses GPS data. It was dead on. So....I pulled the tachometer out of my '83 911 and dropped it off.....next will be the 964. I will eventually get everything functioning again.

I hope this "discovery" will be of use to my fellow teeners. first.gif

Interested, may I ask how much the speedo rebuild ran you?
Jim C
Will he do business via mail and do you have a mailing address?
Bullethead
QUOTE(Jim C @ Jul 27 2022, 02:54 PM) *

Will he do business via mail and do you have a mailing address?

Yes, and yes. http://www.usande.com/

5335 Bingle Rd
Houston, Texas 77092
Phone: (713) 690-1230
Fax: (713) 690-3722
info@usande.com

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday 8:00AM to 6:00PM
Closed for Lunch 12:30-1:30
Closed Saturday & Sunday
Jim C
Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.